Has anyone really thought about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donnap86

Wanne be MD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just flipping through residency forums and they're talking about waking up at 4:30am getting to the hospital by 5:00am to do pre-rounds before grand rounds at 6:00am then after that working all day 'til 'bout 7-9pm.

1) I can't even comprehend getting up so early. My earliest class this fall is at 11am 4 days/wk, 4 classes (all science though), no job (volunteering), and sleeping (I mean studying).

2) As much as I know I'll love being a doctor in whatever field I choose, working 16 hrs/day 6 days/wk making $8/hr (after tax) just doesn't seem so enticing.

Or maybe I'am just lazy (yes, I am). :oops: :oops:

Any thoughts!!

Members don't see this ad.

If other people could do it we could too. Yeah I am def not a fan of waking up at 4:30 AM, but this will be our life :laugh: Just think, you could make more money working at McD :scared:

donnap86 said:
I was just flipping through residency forums and they're talking about waking up at 4:30am getting to the hospital by 5:00am to do pre-rounds before grand rounds at 6:00am then after that working all day 'til 'bout 7-9pm.

1) I can't even comprehend getting up so early. My earliest class this fall is at 11am 4 days/wk, 4 classes (all science though), no job (volunteering), and sleeping (I mean studying).

2) As much as I know I'll love being a doctor in whatever field I choose, working 16 hrs/day 6 days/wk making $8/hr (after tax) just doesn't seem so enticing.

Any thoughts!!

i think its just a matter of adjusting your circadian clock to wake up that early. as for the lack of sleep, yah, it sounds pretty miserable, but hey, thats what we sign up for.

Members don't see this ad :)
donnap86 said:

Any thoughts!!

1. Learn to get up earlier. Most med school classes start at 8 AM, from what I've heard. Even if you didn't go into medicine, most full-time jobs will start early in the morning. I know exactly how you feel - I scheduled all of my undergrad. classes the same way that you have, and it was great. So enjoy it while it lasts. :laugh:

2. First, let me give the obligatory "You shouldn't be going into medicine if you're worried about money" phrase - You shouldn't be going into medicine if you're worried about money. :p

That being said, the salary that you mentioned would be about $37-38k/year. That may be typical of many residents' salaries, but it's definitely not a physician's salary.

shiraz84 said:
Even if you didn't go into medicine, most full-time jobs will start early in the morning.

I agree strongly with this statement. Though medicine starts earlier than most, many jobs start early -- welcome to real life after college. And many many people with jobs that start at 8 or so get up early enough to do an hour + at the gym, etc. before work. It can definitely be done by the average person. Just don't expect to be still up watching Leno or Letterman anymore.

Law2Doc said:
Just don't expect to be still up watching Leno or Letterman anymore.

Tell me about it! I started a full-time job right after graduation this past May which, like most, starts at 8 AM. During my undergraduate years, staying up until 1-2 AM (oftentimes later) was more or less commonplace (to study, of course :p j/k). Now, staying up past 11 or 11:30 is rare. :(

I discussed this a few years back with some neurosurgeons I did research with, they would come and pull 8 hours in the lab coming off a 30hr shift in the hospital, and I wondered how this was possible. They said that it's rough at first but your body gets used to it within a year and then its no big thing.

I'm agreeing with Shiraz. Finally got a good job, that i usually have to start at either 7am or 8am. Add that onto the waking up, shower, and the commute....i usually get up at like 4:30 or 5:30, respectively. I rarely stay up past 11:30...unless its a weekend.

You'll get used to it.

Law2Doc said:
It can definitely be done by the average person. Just don't expect to be still up watching Leno or Letterman anymore.

That's they invented TiVo

Law2Doc said:
It can definitely be done by the average person. Just don't expect to be still up watching Leno or Letterman anymore.

That's why God said let there be TiVo!!! :thumbup:

Dude- you do the **** you need to do.

I wake up at 6 AM everyday to get to work at 9:30(2 1/2 hour commute). Then I commute back and get back home at around 7:30(leave at 5:00 from work)

Now...I like to sleep and by sleep I mean I can sleep for 2 days straight....without food...and without bathroom for atleast a day.....

and i often do during school...this internship has been hell but fun too!

Oh...and I will only be a junior in undergrad...deal with it...

When I was a consultant, I got up at 3:30am for a 6am flight (right after 9/11) so that I could get to a client site in Dallas by 9am. It wasn't every day, but even at once a week (for a year) it was murder since i was practically useless the entire day. It did help me build up around a quarter million frequent flyer miles, which will come in handy on those breaks in med school. ;)

Haha, you guys have it easy. I wake up at 445 right now, for my full time job at 6:15. You just learn to go to bed really early. Like 9.

Did you know that the cows come home around 4:30 am?

Seriously. Those farmers wake up mighty early to milk them.

donnap86 said:

Any thoughts!!

Sleep later. There will be enough sleeping in the grave. - Benjamin Franklin