Has anyone recently taken the PTCB Exam??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsPharmacist2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, how did you do?

I am studying to take the test soon. I am a little nervous :scared:.

Members don't see this ad.

I took it in January and received ~760/900. A passing score is 650/900.

Thanks for responding. How did you prepare for the exam? What books? What areas should I study the most, conversions, law, memorize 200 medications, etc?!

Please help.

Thank you!!

I studied Delmar's book. The book has practice exams after every chapter, and a cumulative exam at the end of the it. It was expensive, but it wasn't really worth it. I found that a lot of the test wasn't even covered in the book, such as some question about hospital gowns. The test is multiple choice, and incorrect answers aren't counted against you. Basic algebra skills are needed. I've heard some test contain up to 50% algebra? However, my test was only 15-20%. I'd say law is the next important thing to know. Studying conversions isn't very necessary. You simply needed to know all the prefixes that go with the gram, liter, etc... I only had a few questions regarding brand and generic names and uses of drugs. Nearly everyone on this site agrees the test isn't very hard, so I'm sure you'll do well.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied Delmar's book. The book has practice exams after every chapter, and a cumulative exam at the end of the it. It was expensive, but it wasn't really worth it. I found that a lot of the test wasn't even covered in the book, such as some question about hospital gowns. The test is multiple choice, and incorrect answers aren't counted against you. Basic algebra skills are needed. I've heard some test contain up to 50% algebra? However, my test was only 15-20%. I'd say law is the next important thing to know. Studying conversions isn't very necessary. You simply needed to know all the prefixes that go with the gram, liter, etc... I only had a few questions regarding brand and generic names and uses of drugs. Nearly everyone on this site agrees the test isn't very hard, so I'm sure you'll do well.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it ;).

12/31/09

Can't remember the score off the top of my head. I passed though. :)

It was high 700. I thought it was pretty rough though.

In the same vein, are there online of the study guides available for purchase online as an Ebook or something? I've searched for quite and while and didn't find any but maybe someone here knew about one.

It's really not bad. I studied for an entire day and I was able to score in the 700s. As long as you know how to do the math problems and memorize your drugs, you should be fine. :)

If so, how did you do?

I am studying to take the test soon. I am a little nervous :scared:.

I took it 2 years ago and it wasn't hard at all. Just be sure you are comfortable with the math portion and the brand name to generics and you should be fine. I remember when I took it I was scared too but it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. In fact when i was done I thought that I didn't pass because it seemed too easy. I ended up getting an 830 out of 900.

... I was scared ... when i was done I thought that I didn't pass...

I felt the same way because I had announced my test date and didn't want to fail and have to tell everyone.

Unlike you, I thought I didn't pass because I wasn't positive on a lot of the questions. I did find a lot of weak areas in my studies from taking the test. Good thing it was instant pass/fail. It was a relief to see the PASS highlighted at the end.

Perhaps it was the state, I took it in North Carolina. One tip to those who are planning on taking it. Don't just memorize the generic to brand. Remember what they are used for as well. I didn't see a single question that said, "Acetaminophen (or whatever) is the generic name for ______________."

I felt the same way because I had announced my test date and didn't want to fail and have to tell everyone.

Unlike you, I thought I didn't pass because I wasn't positive on a lot of the questions. I did find a lot of weak areas in my studies from taking the test. Good thing it was instant pass/fail. It was a relief to see the PASS highlighted at the end.

Perhaps it was the state, I took it in North Carolina. One tip to those who are planning on taking it. Don't just memorize the generic to brand. Remember what they are used for as well. I didn't see a single question that said, "Acetaminophen (or whatever) is the generic name for ______________."
There weren't many of those for me either. The only one I remember was something like this:

Claritin is most similar to loratadine, Clarinex, desloratadine, and something else.

Thanks for responding. How did you prepare for the exam? What books? What areas should I study the most, conversions, law, memorize 200 medications, etc?!

Please help.

Thank you!!

I used Mosby's book. It covers everything that you need to score high in the exam. I gave up memorizing the drug names. The test actually did not have many questions on drug names. More emphasis was on calculations. I suggest that you focus mainly on laws, calculations, abbreviations, conversions, etc. I think there are four chapters in Mosby's. I read them all. When you do the calculations in the mosby's book, you will automatically learn the abbreviations, because to do some of the calculations you must know the abreviations. Memorize the conversions. You will do fine!

I took it 2 years ago and it wasn't hard at all. Just be sure you are comfortable with the math portion and the brand name to generics and you should be fine. I remember when I took it I was scared too but it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. In fact when i was done I thought that I didn't pass because it seemed too easy. I ended up getting an 830 out of 900.

WOW, you score is impressive. Good for you!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Mosby's book. It covers everything that you need to score high in the exam. I gave up memorizing the drug names. The test actually did not have many questions on drug names. More emphasis was on calculations. I suggest that you focus mainly on laws, calculations, abbreviations, conversions, etc. I think there are four chapters in Mosby's. I read them all. When you do the calculations in the mosby's book, you will automatically learn the abbreviations, because to do some of the calculations you must know the abreviations. Memorize the conversions. You will do fine!

Do you still have the book? If so, wanna sell it? I have a book by Tech Lectures (Joe Medina), seems to be ok. I want the book by Mosby, but it is way to expensive...might be a good investment tho :confused:.

As far as the law part goes, do they ask questions like: What act prohibited interstate commerce in aduterated food, drinks and drugs?

Do you still have the book? If so, wanna sell it? I have a book by Tech Lectures (Joe Medina), seems to be ok. I want the book by Mosby, but it is way to expensive...might be a good investment tho :confused:.

As far as the law part goes, do they ask questions like: What act prohibited interstate commerce in aduterated food, drinks and drugs?

I am really sorry, I am not selling my book because I would like to use it for reference purposes. The Mosby's book costs approximately 40 dollars. Please check this site: http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Pharma...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279134620&sr=8-1

mosbys helps a ton. I only studied for 3 days and passed. most of it is law and math. and lern your abbrevs. E.g P.O. etc

Ah yeah.. The sig codes are very important too. They're used a lot in the math problems.

If you need help with SIG Codes, I have set up a training aid for this purpose. It allows you to simply click through and memorize them by repetition.

For this specific activity, try the program:

SIG Code Challenge

Hopefully it can help.

I used Mosby's book as well. What really helped me was doing the practice exams given in the book and learning how to do the calculations. Having a general idea regarding drug categories was extremely helpful.

I found the CD that came with the Mosby review guide to be extremely useful. There are 1400 questions (I think) on that CD, nothing to install (just pop cd in and start testing yourself), and several modes to test yourself. You can see the correct answer and explanation right after you choose an answer if you want.

I did about five or six practice (out of 14 I think) exams with Mosby from the book and CD and I passed. I felt the exam was pretty difficult and I was worried about failing when I was taking the exam. A lot of it was math, but there were a lot of drug problems too.

Btw, I took the exam last month.

Vice7. In which state did you take the PTCB? Any allegation math problems?

Last edited: