Has anyone tried KISSPharm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has heard or tried KISSPharm site for Pharmacology.

http://www.kisspharm.com/

If anyone knows anything about it, let me know please. I have just been told that lectures on this website are really useful and pretty much what we all need to know to study well for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

In browsing their website, they do not go live until Feb 7. I suppose no one except those involved in its creation have seen the lectures. It's no fun to sit down and memorize drugs out of First Aid but that is what it ultimately comes down to along with seeing how they're used in question banks. Maybe this site can make it easier, who knows...

There sure are a lot of Step 1 pay websites popping up early this year- this one, Picmonic and Sketchy Micro. It's great that medical students are trying to develop their own specialized reviews, I hope they make enough money to stick around.

I just went to the site to check it out and i already have some reservations because:

- Saun N., the kid doing the one sample lecture, was kicked out of a school he attended that my buddy also went to. I asked my friend about the site and he burst out laughing when he saw who was on the front page of the site. Not 100% on the reasons behind the expulsion but rumors are it was cheating related so I dont think id trust him, or a company associated with him, to teach me pharm.

- They also already have a bunch of testimonials listed from a bunch of schools which is rather strange considering the program hasnt even been released yet -__-

- you can spend $85 much more wisely if you want to do well in pharm
My suggestion:
----Katzung and Lange Pharmacology book. Yes, its a book and not lectures...but it is, in my opinion, the most comprehensive and easiest read for a pharm book out there. The practice questions are perfect and the reading is never more than 4-5 pages. That book is my bible and has given me really high scores on all my exams and UWORLD practice questions (my pharm average on UWORLD is 87% even before reviewing the subject for my STEP prep)

just my take on it... but of course, feel free to make your own decision.

Reactions: 1 user
I attended Shans sessions at the PASS Program a couple of months ago. They were helpful and my score went up as a result. I passed my boards and my pharm score was high. Its just easier and quicker to learn it his way. Dr. Francis is backing it and it is approved by the PASS Program so I am thinking the online series is good. There is a sample lecture on the website. It is over the alpha beta and cholinergic drugs. I thought it was a pretty good lecture - http://www.kisspharm.com/general/sample-lecture/

Members don't see this ad :)
The intro video has Dr. Francis saying that shan has been with the pass program for quite some time. I assume that is what the testimonials are referring too. I took his live sessions, so i know he was there. I bet someone could even call the pass program in champaign and verify that.my attitude was I just wanted to pass step 1. I dont care about his personal life. I guess its best to just see the lecture and do what you think is best.

Last edited:
I just went to the site to check it out and i already have some reservations because:

- Saun N., the kid doing the one sample lecture, was kicked out of a school he attended that my buddy also went to. I asked my friend about the site and he burst out laughing when he saw who was on the front page of the site. Not 100% on the reasons behind the expulsion but rumors are it was cheating related so I dont think id trust him, or a company associated with him, to teach me pharm.

- They also already have a bunch of testimonials listed from a bunch of schools which is rather strange considering the program hasnt even been released yet -__-

My suggestion:
----Katzung and Lange Pharmacology book. Yes, its a book and not lectures...but it is, in my opinion, the most comprehensive and easiest read for a pharm book out there. The practice questions are perfect and the reading is never more than 4-5 pages. That book is my bible and has given me really high scores on all my exams and UWORLD practice questions (my pharm average on UWORLD is 87% even before reviewing the subject for my STEP prep)

The intro video has Dr. Francis saying that shan has been with the pass program for quite some time. I assume that is what the testimonials are referring too. I took his live sessions, so i know he was there.I bet someone could even call the pass program in champaign and verify that. I dont care about his personal life. my attitude was I just want to pass step 1. If this guy can help me do it, so be it. I am not trying to be his friend. I guess its best to just see the lecture and do what you think is best. I mean didnt the DIT guy lose his medical license? Still seems to be decent at what he does.

sample lecture:
http://www.kisspharm.com/general/sample-lecture/

intro video with dr. francis
http://www.kisspharm.com/featured/kiss-pharm-intro/

Last edited:
Just checked out the sample lecture. It's essentially dumbing down FA pharm for you (w/ multiple verbal repitions for those who need the audio format).

Nothing you can't do on your own from FA reps.

I am a 'non-traditional', multi-degreed MSIII from one of the 'multiple medical school' whose students endorse and support KISSpharm. I want to say straight up that I peronally know and support Shan Nanji, KISSpharm creator and superlative pharm driller when i attended the PASS program in Champaign. Shan is not a 'scribbler' like instructors on some videos. You can read every word on KISSpharm, and they are highlighted in ways that make sense and stick in your memory when you say them and hear others saying them.. Shan is not a 'droner', like some instructors whose voices could be used as lullabies for babies. KISSpharm is a unique learning tool from a gifted teacher. It is a bargain because it features lifelong availability. There are several Steps ahead...

What do you think KISS alludes to? remember, 'keep it simple, stupid'? KISSpharm is exactly that: pharmaccology review, highly condensed and refined to save us time (and therefore, money) by keeping our interest high, repitition for interactivity, and simplification for the obvious reason. Who cares, the point is, it works!!!

BTW, as a fully licensed attorney in Texas, maybe some need to know that unproveable written statements adversely affecting the reputation of one in their community are actionable as libel, just as unproveable spoken statements adversely affecting the reputation of one in their community are actionable as slander. I know Shan Nanji by the good works that he has done...and I wouldn't be spreading stories that I didn't know, couldn't prove, because some 'buddy' said something I may not have even understood or heard correctly. just sayin'...

Last edited:
I am a 'non-traditional', multi-degreed MSIII from one of the 'multiple medical school' whose students endorse and support KISSpharm. I want to say straight up that I peronally know and support Shan Nanji, KISSpharm creator and superlative pharm driller when i attended the PASS program in Champaign. Shan is not a 'scribbler' like instructors on some videos. You can read every word on KISSpharm, and they are highlighted in ways that make sense and stick in your memory when you say them and hear others saying them.. Shan is not a 'droner', like some instructors whose voices could be used as lullabies for babies. KISSpharm is a unique learning tool from a gifted teacher. It is a bargain because it features lifelong availability. There are several Steps ahead...

What do you think KISS alludes to? remember, 'keep it simple, stupid'? KISSpharm is exactly that: pharmaccology review, highly condensed and refined to save us time (and therefore, money) by keeping our interest high, repitition for interactivity, and simplification for the obvious reason. Who cares, the point is, it works!!!

BTW, as a fully licensed attorney in Texas, maybe some need to know that unproveable written statements adversely affecting the reputation of one in their community are actionable as libel, just as unproveable spoken statements adversely affecting the reputation of one in their community are actionable as slander. I know Shan Nanji by the good works that he has done...and I wouldn't be spreading stories that I didn't know, couldn't prove, because some 'buddy' said something I may not have even understood or heard correctly. just sayin'...

strong first post, shan.

So how long have you been working for KISSpharm?

I actually know this guy Shan from awhile back. He actually got kicked out of school for fighting. I remember the story but its nothing out of the norm when a man is pushed to his limits. He just had to pay the consequences afterwards *shrugs* But I have attended one of his live drill sessions and it is very helpful in my opinion. I tried First Aid and it didn't really stick well for me but the way he does it really helped me learn and retain the Pharm information. But everybody learns different so its all about personal preference. Its www.kisspharm.com if any newcomers are wondering. Study hard and Good day!

When I came to PASS I've attended a few of his pharm drills and they have been helpful. I have sufficient knowledge in pharmacology, but the way he organizes, sets his material together, with the mnemonics and interactive learning - it really helped me with boosting and reinforcing my pharm. I've attended some of the recording sessions, and it's exactly the same as his drills. The fact that this was always reinforced by Dr. Francis made me want to invest in this - lncluding the fact that I've had experienced his drills.

I'd recommend checking out the video sample on ANS pharm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw1Ag86SvlY

I believe it's worth it. It's really helped me in my pharm. I'm sure if it helped me, it can help anyone! The price is awesome too! Knowing the fact that I can go back on the site and watch the videos anytime I want to, whether in rounds, or for my step 1, 2, or 3 prep!

This is poor form.

I would NEVER buy anything from companies that advertise in this manner. It exposes their flawed value system.

Any publicity is good publicity only works when you're a celebrity. Dishonest companies do not win.

My suggestion:

Edit: Btw, I agree with the Kazung rec. I have the bigger version and not the review book - I reference it when I want background info. You can't go wrong with either the review or the text... again, like I said, the text is not for reading but for reference.

Last edited:
I actually know this guy Shan from awhile back. He actually got kicked out of school for fighting. I remember the story but its nothing out of the norm when a man is pushed to his limits. He just had to pay the consequences afterwards *shrugs* But I have attended one of his live drill sessions and it is very helpful in my opinion. I tried First Aid and it didn't really stick well for me but the way he does it really helped me learn and retain the Pharm information. But everybody learns different so its all about personal preference. Its www.kisspharm.com if any newcomers are wondering. Study hard and Good day!

When I came to PASS I've attended a few of his pharm drills and they have been helpful. I have sufficient knowledge in pharmacology, but the way he organizes, sets his material together, with the mnemonics and interactive learning - it really helped me with boosting and reinforcing my pharm. I've attended some of the recording sessions, and it's exactly the same as his drills. The fact that this was always reinforced by Dr. Francis made me want to invest in this - lncluding the fact that I've had experienced his drills.

I'd recommend checking out the video sample on ANS pharm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw1Ag86SvlY

I believe it's worth it. It's really helped me in my pharm. I'm sure if it helped me, it can help anyone! The price is awesome too! Knowing the fact that I can go back on the site and watch the videos anytime I want to, whether in rounds, or for my step 1, 2, or 3 prep!

Famous first (and lasts) posts.

I thought we were supposed to be medical professionals? All I see are negative personal opinions Nothing professional. I failed my step 2 times but we all have missteps, and it helps us become better. Everybody has different learning styles. His worked for me. The sample lecture is free. At least keep an open mind. If it doesn't work, so be it. But if Dr.Francis is backing it, it might be worth a look.

I just hope that we can exhibit the professionalism that is expected of us. Of course we will disagree. But Id hope we can do it with a rational foundation and mutual respect.
http://www.kisspharm.com/general/sample-lecture/

Status
Not open for further replies.