Has anyone worked in a new Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EML9255

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As in the new store design.

I'm floating in one 3 times next week and I've heard that the verification process is slightly different. I just finished training so I just am used to the standard process. I think I overlap with another rph for two of the shifts but I think the first one I might be alone.

Is there a way to tell on the schedule if you overlap? Saturday it says 10-6 PTO cover so I am assuming I'm alone but the other two shifts are 11-7 so I'm pretty sure they are overlapping.

Members don't see this ad.

As in the new store design.

I'm floating in one 3 times next week and I've heard that the verification process is slightly different. I just finished training so I just am used to the standard process. I think I overlap with another rph for two of the shifts but I think the first one I might be alone.

Is there a way to tell on the schedule if you overlap? Saturday it says 10-6 PTO cover so I am assuming I'm alone but the other two shifts are 11-7 so I'm pretty sure they are overlapping.
I work in one on a regular basis and trained in one. It's pretty much the same just f4 will bring up all the photos of the bagged scripts to verify instead of actually bagging it yourself. Some you will still have to scan and manually verify like in a regular pharmacy system but most get photos taken. I like it way better.

Wasn't bad! Felt weird st first not physically having the rx in my hands but got over it quick. Sitting down for a good part of the time was nice too! Only thing I didn't like was how you couldn't really see what was going on behind you where the techs/ drive through are whe you're out front. But I did have a lot of people ask me questions which was nice. That gate was a pain in the butt to unlock though hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you in this role. WAGs has really dropped the ball in constructing this Pharmacy model in my opinion...it simply further denigrates our status (whatever remained) as health care professionals by putting Pharmacists out in front like a hostess. What other highly regarded profession allows the public to have immediate and unmitigated access to the licensed professional?

At the bank I have to wait simply to apply for an auto loan....

At the physician's office we all obviously wait to be seen first by a nurse and then the PA/NP or MD/DO.

Hell, even at the auto mechanic I can't just walk out to the guy changing my oil.

But too many of us are simply willing to collect a check and don't see the big picture....

Good luck to you in this role. WAGs has really dropped the ball in constructing this Pharmacy model in my opinion...it simply further denigrates our status (whatever remained) as health care professionals by putting Pharmacists out in front like a hostess. What other highly regarded profession allows the public to have immediate and unmitigated access to the licensed professional?

At the bank I have to wait simply to apply for an auto loan....

At the physician's office we all obviously wait to be seen first by a nurse and then the PA/NP or MD/DO.

Hell, even at the auto mechanic I can't just walk out to the guy changing my oil.

But too many of us are simply willing to collect a check and don't see the big picture....

I daydreamed some models like this in school. Somebody in corporate is being paid big bucks

I think there is potential. The other obvious problem is the front desk computer may be set too low for standing work. I don't want customers to tower over me

Though having a chair is great and is needed for long term health

I daydreamed some models like this in school. Somebody in corporate is being paid big bucks

I think there is potential. The other obvious problem is the front desk computer may be set too low for standing work. I don't want customers to tower over me

Though having a chair is great and is needed for long term health

Potential? Potential for what? That pharmacists are taking more risk with their license in regards to having responsibility for the processing of RXs and being even further removed from the fulfillment of those prescription drug orders? That instead of your clerk or tech having a gun pulled on them first, now the Pharmacist gets that honor.....This entire format is not from the mind of a PRACTICING community Pharmacist, that much is sure.....and it peels back the onion all the way on any perception that Pharmacists are "professionals" by virtue of immediate and unfettered access to us by the public.........and forget about being able to one day charge for clinical services utilizing this model...it further makes us a FREE drug information center for any and all patients and their questions. What this model does is allows WAGs to maximize RX production potential with the fewest number of Pharmacists possible. ("see we don't need more than 1 of those $130K per year Pharmacists at our stores...")

CORPORATE pharmacy does NOTHING to advance the professional practice of Pharmacy..it's sheer goal is to maximize PROFIT and every change in the production model is done to maximize just that...GROSS PROFIT and ultimately NET PROFIT. With DECREASING MAC pricing on generics and more generics than ever being dispensed, these publicly traded companies have stock holders to make happy and the status quo production model is certainly going to be less profitable by virtue of an increase in the dispensing of generics and PBMs aggressiveness in keeping MAC payments as low as possible. I could post a picture of the Rxs that I dispensed today and we are getting paid literally pennies above AQ on many generic RXs. Pharmacies make our bread and butter on NEW generics (before they go multisource) and Brand name medications.

Last edited:
Here's a sample from 9/9/14 and 9/10/14......This is the REALITY folks....the generic price pressures on our profession are a great threat...

Attachments

• Rx.PNG
    Rx.PNG
    760.6 KB · Views: 70
Come now, those are the inherent drawbacks to pharmacy. If I had been responsible, and if you had been responsible, we would have avoided the field

Something similar means exactly that. We cannot for one rely on techs to just do whatever behind our backs. Pictures of product are not enough. Which comes to two main points for pharmacists:

1. Someone has to check the product. A menial job, but we prefer someone with sufficient training and intelligence
2. Professional medical opinion. Although anyone can look stuff up, and doctors do, we expect the above intellect to factor into the evaluation of conditions and data.

It is those opinions and product check which can justify the salary

Or can it? In order for this model to work, sufficient intellect, language, and social skills need to be there - the standards for pharmacists across the board have to be raised and the financial incentives have to be there.

As you know, profit is squeezed, corporate is out for itself. Walgreens may not be able to resist the modern corporate culture. Our rulers seek to destroy the middle class and enslave us all

If the pharmacy is not profitable, it matters not how great we are. If the customer base is dumbed down and less able to command respect, who cares if they have subpar treatment. It was free advice, after all

Our nation's culture of high standards and conscientiousness will vanish with the continued Third Worldization and aging of the country. Good things will only be for the superrich. The peasants will not even be able to console themselves with the notion of noble lords over them

Last edited: