Have 11 months to prep for the exam, how should I go about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't really care for comments about studying too long or anything. Just curious as to the best way to go about this? Any recent test takers that can provide a method, I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't really care for comments about studying too long or anything. Just curious as to the best way to go about this? Any recent test takers that can provide a method, I'd really appreciate it.

Took it last year at beginning of MS4 to have a Step II score back before interviews (gambled on doing better than step 1 and I did).

- Kaplan Step 2 Videos at 1.7x or lecture notes
- Kaplan Step 1 Videos to refresh Pharm / Physio
- UWorld twice - once through 3rd year, and again for Step 2 prep
- DIT Step 2 w/ Step Up to Step 2 annotation
- First Aid Step 2 CK - to reinforce weak areas
- First Aid Step 2 CS

My Roommate also did well:
- skimmed various sections of First Aid Step 2 CK and MTB Step 2
- Kaplan lectures notes for weak areas (not a video watcher - he doesn't fall asleep reading like I do)
- USMLE Rx and UWorld

* Both of us felt Step 2 CK was harder / longer than UW *

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=228830

has some very good information. if you post a specific schedule/regimen you already have in mind, i think people may comment on it, but for such a generic question, consider looking at this long thread - most of which has score trends and actual test numbers in there.

awesome thanks.

Took it last year at beginning of MS4 to have a Step II score back before interviews (gambled on doing better than step 1 and I did).

- Kaplan Step 2 Videos at 1.7x or lecture notes
- Kaplan Step 1 Videos to refresh Pharm / Physio
- UWorld twice - once through 3rd year, and again for Step 2 prep
- DIT Step 2 w/ Step Up to Step 2 annotation
- First Aid Step 2 CK - to reinforce weak areas
- First Aid Step 2 CS

My Roommate also did well:
- skimmed various sections of First Aid Step 2 CK and MTB Step 2
- Kaplan lectures notes for weak areas (not a video watcher - he doesn't fall asleep reading like I do)
- USMLE Rx and UWorld

* Both of us felt Step 2 CK was harder / longer than UW *

holy super large AV. yeah, i'm just worried because it seems as if the material for step 2 isn't as clear cut on how to get a good score, as it is for step 1. it seems like for step 1 you can use FA + UWorld + Pathoma + other question banks = great score.

i guess i'm worried for Step 2 already because depending on what we're taught in rotations is what we're tested on in Step 2. I don't want to have a horrible predecessor and not get taught properly, and as a result do poorly on step 2.

Do awesome on your rotations.

Read up to date about every patient.

Study several review books and do well on shelf exams.

can you elaborate more on this, please? im just worried about how to properly prep for step 2. just want to do the best that i can. i wish you told me you were in atlanta for your step 2...we could've had a micro-xerq meet :mamoru:

Take 3rd year seriously. Then take 10 month vacation. Study hard last few weeks.

Do awesome on your rotations.

Read up to date about every patient.

Study several review books and do well on shelf exams.

Exactly. The people who do well learn all they can on their rotations - do well on each shelf, then do well on Step 2.

The whole idea of setting up 3, 6, or 12 months to find the perfect books / strategy isn't a good strategy. It's why the top scores come from people who study only a few weeks, they already knew the material well - it was just a review.

can you elaborate more on this, please? im just worried about how to properly prep for step 2. just want to do the best that i can. i wish you told me you were in atlanta for your step 2...we could've had a micro-xerq meet :mamoru:

It's no mystery. Know your patients really well, read the 1-3 recommended books for each, and do Uworld questions (or rotation specific questions). It's like asking, "how do I lose weight?" - exercise and diet.

Oh nice, you live in ATL?

At least once a day you should spend 10-20 minutes picking a patient and reading what uptodate says about their disease. Then at home you need to read multiple review books (like case files, blueprints, and then supplement with uworld questions).

If you do this you will be well prepared and will only need ~1 month to 'study' (aka review) for step 2.