Have 2015 MCAT Books - Worth Buying New 2019 Material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouschemist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the complete set of TPR MCAT books from 2015. I'm hoping I can receive some feedback on whether it's worth purchasing a new set (either from TPR or another popular creator). I am willing to save up some money to purchase a new set, (but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to!) so I'd like to know whether it's worth spending the money, or if working from my 2015 set would still be okay. I'm not sure how much the content/strategies have been updated since the inception of the new 2015 exam. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The content hasn't changed significantly from the old exam to the new exam. If anything, a few minor content tweaks and some strategies that are more closely tailored to the new exam will likely be the only changes between a 2015 and 2019 edition. As long as you're planning to incorporate practice questions from other resources into your prep, you should be fine with the 2015 set.

I agree with the post above. The content hasn't changed much since 2015 (I also used old books).

I strongly recommend that you use that money instead on purchasing practice tests and to also supplement your review with practice problems

Reactions: 1 user
The most important thing is that the passages have no writing in them. I personally chose to update all the books I was using to not be influenced when doing the homework phases. Applications cost so much bank that I figured a hundred bucks more for new books was worth it in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all! Looks like I'll be keeping my books and saving myself some money! well, putting that money towards more practice tests and other resources...

A related question: Is AAMC's Official Guide to the MCAT Exam from 2015 also still okay to use? Or is it worth upgrading to the 5th edition that's available now?