Have a serious problem reading w/ Verbal. Please offer advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manohman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In going through multiple verbal passages, I'v started to notice a trend that I'd love some tips on how to fix.

1) So i know youre supposed to choose a reasonable reading pace and not go back so you get used to absorbing it all on the first go through, but I keep finding myself reading through a paragraph or even a sentence and not remembering a single thing i'v just read (lol).

As funny as this is, It's become a serious problem because i either have to 1) backtrack or 2) wonder if, despite my nonexistant recall, i have stored away the main points of the sentences somewhere in my head.

Anyone experience this? Did i really just read through that entire philosophy paragraph without sucking in anything? (quite possible, im sorry some of the passages are a bit abstract) Or in reading for the main idea, am I just switching from a micro view to a more macro one?

2) I get to a question that requires me to check back in the passage, or do some critical thinking, and I realize I'm looking in the wrong place or thinking through the problem the wrong way.
In these situations, Im never sure whether to rush, at the cost of certainty, or to think through it at the cost of another minute or more.

In your experiences, what would you do in these situations. seriously i'm reading these passages and then thinking..."are you....an idiot?"

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds to me you're more focused on reading quickly. This isn't always helpful if you're reading too fast to absorb anything. It is okay to slow down. I found the highlighter tool allowed me to focus better, highlighting key words and whatnot along the way to leave me centered on what I'm reading. It is okay to pause between paragraphs just momentarily to really let it set in. If you need to pause, do it.

Exactly what was happening to me! Mouth the words and pretend you are reading out loud to someone (just moving your lips of course). This helped me out so much since it controlled my reading speed and made me absorb what I was reading.

Exactly what was happening to me! Mouth the words and pretend you are reading out loud to someone (just moving your lips of course). This helped me out so much since it controlled my reading speed and made me absorb what I was reading.
Ah man it feels very good to know im not alone haha.

Did you eventually transition from mouthing to just straight reading? I remember hearing that ultimately its better to let your mind taking over the reading vs your inner voice.

But mouthing helped?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah man it feels very good to know im not alone haha.

Did you eventually transition from mouthing to just straight reading? I remember hearing that ultimately its better to let your mind taking over the reading vs your inner voice.

But mouthing helped?
Unfortunately I never transitioned. Even on test date I mouthed the words. You just have to make sure not to make any noise.

But it definitely did help me. I would say try it for a little while and see what it does. Of course I did practice a ton using tprh verbal but this technique really nailed it down for me.

Read it out loud in your head. It seems really goofy and makes me feel like I'm in remedial reading classes, but it works.