Have Any Of You??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddux31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Have any of you who have gone through the interview process received any negative notions or vibes from the adcoms, due to your ages?

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the adcoms talked to me a little more as a peer. (I say that because I was interviewed by middle aged men with families, years in health care, etc.)

The student interview, however, can be a totally different story.

A little negative - just suspicious of why MD, why now - as in if you really wanted to do this, why didn't you do it 8 yrs ago. The sort of things that anyone should have a pretty good answer to before they go on an interview anyway. I think it's harder when it's closed-file or when the interviewer just hasn't read your file, since I spent a lot of my PS explaining this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have one jerk interviewer tell me I was too old. The overall interview was bad though. I was 27 btw.

Greetings,

Have any of you who have gone through the interview process received any negative notions or vibes from the adcoms, due to your ages?

Nope. Quite positive, really.

Keep in mind that you could have negative vibes because there just isn't a good chemistry with that interviewer ... which would be there whether you are "old" or not.

Many schools seem to be OK with older students.

Greetings,

Out of 17 interviews I attended, only one interviewer at one school gave me negative notions and vibes. He was a newly hired assistant prof of medicine who was about my age, and I daresay he was rather shocked at the notion that someone would go back for a second career in medicine at our ripe old age. I was 30 at the time. :p

Where was this???

A&M in Texas. Out of 6 interviews, this was the only one where age was an issue. Others saw it as a plus, because I had experienced life more and grown more mature. I must say though that I believe this to be an isolated situation. Others that I know that have interviewed here had better experiences and the rest of my day, other interview, etc. was pretty good.