Have some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveStudent21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little backstory first. I applied last year's cycle with a BCP GPA of 3.2 and an overall of a 3.1. My grades (science especially) had a upward trend my last two years of college and I would have a BCP of a 3.5 if I didn't get a D in a biological anthropology course my freshman year of college :(. I applied to 10 different schools and didn't get an interview to any of them. I have a 19AA DAT. Right now I am a post-bac trying to raise my science GPA and am planning on taking the DAT again in late July. So now for the questions:

1.) For my letters of recommendation, is it alright if I use the same ones as last cycle. I have been out of college for a year now and it will be hard to get new letters of recommendation from professors. I am going to try and get one from my summer microbiology professor but it is such a short semester (1 month) that i don't know if she will do it for me or not. My major (psychology) LOR and biology LOR will most likely be from the same professors as last years cycle. Should they write a new one/is sending the same ones a bad idea?

2.) I plan on taking the DAT again and do not want to purchase the DAT destroyer for 2015. I have the math and DAT destroyer from 2014 and plan on using Cliff's, Ferralis, Chad, and Bootcamp along with it as study tools. Do I need to buy the newest edition?

3.) I plan on taking 4 or 5 science classes during the fall semester and wanted to know if this will actually impact my application process this cycle. Those grades won't be final until December and I am hoping to have interviews by then. Is it worth it for me to take these classes in the fall/ will it actually have a impact on my application this cycle.

4.) Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I have over 200 hours of shadowing but not a lot of volunteering in the dental world. I plan on waiting until I finish the DAT in late July and sending my application in before August. As always any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's better to have good repeated letters than average new letters. If you can get good new letters, that's even better.

2014 will do fine. You don't need to buy 2015, especially since you got a lot of other materials.

Depends on whether or not the classes are recommended courses from dental schools. If not, I doubt it will impact your app this cycle much, if at all. Obviously, it would benefit you if you do well in them and have to apply again next cycle.

Make sure you do well on your DAT, that's basically your lifeline that can compensate for your low GPA.