Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritas79

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone with certainty post the names of schools that ask that all-encompassing question about crimes or criminal offenses other than minor motor vehicle violations on their secondaries? I am posting in this forum b/c you guys have already gone through the process. I have a disorderly conduct conviction that is classified as a violation (in my state, NY), but I rather not speak of it. It doesn't matter if the application asks about misdemeanors since I won't be technically lying. I'm more interested in knowing about schools that asks the blanket statement so I could save my $$ by not applying to them through AMCAS. I already know of two for certain by looking at their secondaries for last year's applicants, online:

1) Dartmouth - "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense other than minor motor vehicle violations?"

2) AECOM - "Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?"

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong, but I thought AMCAS asked that question too. Every school I applied to asked that question. Even if your answer is yes, they give you a text box where you can explain the circumstances.

I thought we didn't have to list violations. I have a violation that is not traffic related, and I did not list it anywhere. The NYPD told me that it was NOT a misdemeanor, and that it would NOT show up on a background check.

Members don't see this ad :)
bmcgilligan,

The 2006 AMCAS only asks about felonies. It doesn't include misdemeanors or violations. Some secondaries ask about anything other than minor traffic related violations so I take that to include everything except traffic tickets. I'm in the same boat as KatieOConnor in the sense that I have a non-traffic related violation in NY. I was arrested and charged with multiple misdemeanors, but in the end I only plead guilty to a violation of disorderly in NYC in exchage for settlement of the case and avoiding a trial.

Veritas79 said:
bmcgilligan,

The 2006 AMCAS only asks about felonies. It doesn't include misdemeanors or violations. Some secondaries ask about anything other than minor traffic related violations so I take that to include everything except traffic tickets. I'm in the same boat as KatieOConnor in the sense that I have a non-traffic related violation in NY. I was arrested and charged with multiple misdemeanors, but in the end I only plead guilty to a violation of disorderly in NYC in exchage for settlement of the case and avoiding a trial.

Another one with a paddle in the boat, I have something on my record, and have been looking into this for a year of so. I would say that ~75% or more of the secondary applications I have seen asked for any arrests, regardless of whether you were convicted or not. The AMCAS only asks about felonies, but most schools will ask about any arrest. Having spoken with a Dean of Admissions, I have found that the schools are more concerned with patterns of problems and not with isolated events. There are plenty of physicians who have problems, the most important thing is being upfront. Remember, any arrest is public record, if someone digs hard enough, or uses the right credit agency for a background check, it will show up. The far worse mistake would be to look like you are trying to hide something. Two people who were convicted of felonies were accepted in 2003 (or 2002, can't remember), so don't stress too much. Also, when you eventually sit before a licensing board, remember that they have access to all of your applications and may be concerened if discrepancies exist.

Good luck, keep pluggin away!

Adam