Have you ever reconsidered Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riscatto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have not been on this site in a long time, but it has been the best one to get advice since so many are in the same boat.

For starters I finished Vet Tech school back in 2015, but I was never confidant to commit to the field. I felt like it wasn’t the right fit given I was also shy. Never cared for working with Cats or Dogs. The hardest thing to do was to give up on being a vet when I spent so long working towards, I’m almost 24 now.

I have cats and I’m always right in terms of what is they have when I take them in. The vets office never feels out of place.

What I’m asking is did you ever move on from vet med but later on continued to pursue it because you tried other things or grew up in a sense? Sorry if this is out of place, the site always have the best advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i have not been on this site in a long time, but it has been the best one to get advice since so many are in the same boat.

For starters I finished Vet Tech school back in 2015, but I was never confidant to commit to the field. I felt like it wasn’t the right fit given I was also shy. Never cared for working with Cats or Dogs. The hardest thing to do was to give up on being a vet when I spent so long working towards, I’m almost 24 now.

I have cats and I’m always right in terms of what is they have when I take them in. The vets office never feels out of place.

What I’m asking is did you ever move on from vet med but later on continued to pursue it because you tried other things or grew up in a sense? Sorry if this is out of place, the site always have the best advice.

Yes. I've tech'd for about 9 years, all while trying to get my prereqs done after getting an arts degree in undergrad. Eventually, I got tired of teching (low pay, little career advancement, etc) and just felt like vet school was never going to happen, so I went into real estate for a couple years. While I enjoyed that, I really missed working at a vet's office and eventually got a part time job at a vet's office while still working RE. All of the sudden my spouse's career path changed and we got the chance to move close to a vet school. I am now starting vet school in the fall! I am super excited to be back on this track.

That being said, I love working with the pets and also have always loved the client education part of teching. I have worked in GP at several different practices over the years with different staff #s, policies, and attitudes (of staff and clients). I feel very ready to move forward with this career knowing what i'm getting into. I'm also 33 so don't sweat 24. Every year I get older, I refine my study skills and habits, and my attitude towards life and challenges!

Good luck on making this decision! PM me if you want.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have a personal experience where I left vet med and was drawn back to it. However... I will say that over the years of building my application and experiences in vet school... There is SOOOOO much you can do with a DVM. I guess what I'm trying to say is just keep an open mind and do what makes you happy. There are always options and being a veterinarian opens even more doors. Some people may never go into clinical practice and go into legislation, public health, academia, research, etc.