Have you met people like this in your med school class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.sartorius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm getting to know my classmates more and more I've met some that claim that they don't know why they chose to become doctors. They basically wanted a job and liked science, or maybe just liked science and wanted the title (b/c let's face it there are other health profession jobs they could have picked). They have no passion whatsoever for it and are very indifferent about the whole medical school thing, it disgusts me personally. These people take the spots of passionate pre-meds who would kill to have gotten in and now have to reapply, not to mention who in their right mind would jump through all those hoops if they didn't have a drive for it?! Have you met people like this and what are your opinions? Will they crash and burn as the years go by? Will they make good physicians? I'm curious to see what others think.. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

As I'm getting to know my classmates more and more I've met some that claim that they don't know why they chose to become doctors. They basically wanted a job and liked science, or maybe just liked science and wanted the title (b/c let's face it there are other health profession jobs they could have picked). They have no passion whatsoever for it and are very indifferent about the whole medical school thing, it disgusts me personally. These people take the spots of passionate pre-meds who would kill to have gotten in and now have to reapply, not to mention who in their right mind would jump through all those hoops if they didn't have a drive for it?! Have you met people like this and what are your opinions? Will they crash and burn as the years go by? Will they make good physicians? I'm curious to see what others think.. :eek:

I think there are better ways to use your time than trying to judge the worthiness and intentions of other people. Especially based off what are (probably) crappy and invasive personal questions which bias answers.

-the guy who's reading this on the internet at 3am

Reactions: 15 users
I think there are better ways to use your time than trying to judge the worthiness and intentions of other people. Especially based off what are (probably) crappy and invasive personal questions which bias answers.

-the guy who's reading this on the internet at 3am

Guess you're one of those guys+pity+

JK... chill though it's simply a discussion that got me curious. :owle:

Members don't see this ad :)
:corny::corny:

Yes, and you are the most objective arbiter as to who has the proper "drive" and "passion" in medical school and what motives people should have. By the way, let us know how you feel about medical school after finishing MS-2, taking Step 1, finishing MS-3, and taking Step 2 CK/Step 2 CS. You will laughing at this thread after you match.

Reactions: 5 users
Guess you're one of those guys+pity+
JK... chill though it's simply a discussion that got me curious. :owle:

I have no idea what this means+pity+ in the context you put it in. I always assumed it was a sarcastic response to sob stories.

If you think I need to chill, you're probably reading more emotion into my tone than actually exists. I think you're wasting your time pondering this. That's all.

A lot of people don't like to answer personal or probing questions. And motivations/drives aren't always simple or easily expressed verbally. I would probably make a blanket statement if any given person in my class asked me this. I would also avoid talking to that person alone again.

If I heard the questioner judging another guy based on his answer, I would assume they were an a**hole.

So to answer your question less obliquely, I think that your methods have little predictive power. They do not accurately measure what you are trying to discover.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of people don't like to answer personal or probing questions. And motivations/drives aren't always simple or easily expressed verbally. I would probably make a blanket statement if any given person in my class asked me this. I would also avoid talking to that person alone again. If I heard the questioner judging another guy based on his answer, I would assume they were an a**hole.
:clap:

:corny::corny:

Yes, and you are the most objective arbiter as to who has the proper "drive" and "passion" in medical school and what motives people should have. By the way, let us know how you feel about medical school after finishing MS-2, taking Step 1, finishing MS-3, and taking Step 2 CK/Step 2 CS. You will laughing at this thread after you match.

How will another 3 years change the reason I came into the profession? I guess my original question is just that how can people work their a** off to get in then say they would be perfectly happy doing something else? The amount of effort put in doesn't equate to their reason for going to medical school.

I have no idea what this means+pity+ in the context you put it in. I always assumed it was a sarcastic response to sob stories.

If you think I need to chill, you're probably reading more emotion into my tone than actually exists. I think you're wasting your time pondering this. That's all.

A lot of people don't like to answer personal or probing questions. And motivations/drives aren't always simple or easily expressed verbally. I would probably make a blanket statement if any given person in my class asked me this. I would also avoid talking to that person alone again.

If I heard the questioner judging another guy based on his answer, I would assume they were an a**hole.

So to answer your question less obliquely, I think that your methods have little predictive power. They do not accurately measure what you are trying to discover.

I wasn't the one to ask, I was in a group discussion and simply listened to the responses but you are totally right, most people prefer to give as little detail as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
How will another 3 years change the reason I came into the profession? I guess my original question is just that how can people work their a** off to get in then say they would be perfectly happy doing something else? The amount of effort put in doesn't equate to their reason for going to medical school.
The same reason that people who go in thinking they wish to do specialty A, after MS-3, end up going for Specialty B. Experiences change, priorities change, etc. No human (who is normal) is 100% in love with their career at all times, and can't imagine themselves of possibly doing anything else. That's great for the inspirational videos, brochures, etc. but is no longer the case today. The reality of medicine is much more complex and practiced much differently, than those who had much more physician autonomy back then.

That's why they ask you during the interview: If you couldn't become a doctor, what would you do or what would you be?

Reactions: 5 users

It won't change the reason you came here. It will change the way you view your original reasons. For reference, think of your highschool/middle school version of morality/reality. You may come to realize that medicine is incapable of fulfilling you in the ways that you hope it will.

I would be happy doing other things. I am tremendously passionate about medicine, but it does not define me. If I lost this, I would be crushed, but I would find something else eventually.

These people either have different worldviews than you, or they aren't answering the question honestly. Take your pick.

Reactions: 2 users
The same reason that people who go in thinking they wish to do specialty A, after MS-3, end up going for Specialty B. Experiences change, priorities change, etc. No human (who is normal) is 100% in love with their career at all times, and can't imagine themselves of possibly doing anything else. That's great for the inspirational videos, brochures, etc. but is no longer the case today. The reality of medicine is much more complex and practiced much differently, than those who had much more physician autonomy back then.

That's why they ask you during the interview: If you couldn't become a doctor, what would you do or what would you be?

Very true :)

It won't change the reason you came here. It will change the way you view your original reasons. For reference, think of your highschool/middle school version of morality/reality. You may come to realize that medicine is incapable of fulfilling you in the ways that you hope it will.

I would be happy doing other things. I am tremendously passionate about medicine, but it does not define me. If I lost this, I would be crushed, but I would find something else eventually.

These people either have different worldviews than you, or they aren't answering your question honestly. Take your pick.

Agreed! This is good stuff, definitely enjoying the discussion about this, opens my eyes to other opinions.

I wasn't the one to ask, I was in a group discussion and simply listened to the responses but you are totally right, most people prefer to give as little detail as possible.
Yes, bc quite honestly, it's not anyone's business.

It's why most people don't tell what specialties they're aiming for and why someone who says the whole time that they were going for Family Medicine miraculously is all of a sudden doing Ophthalmalogy, and vice versa. No one want to be held to their words as an edict.

As I'm getting to know my classmates more and more I've met some that claim that they don't know why they chose to become designers. They basically wanted a job and liked pretty things, or maybe just liked pretty things and wanted the title (b/c let's face it there are other fashion industry jobs they could have picked). They have no passion whatsoever for it and are very indifferent about the whole design school thing, it disgusts me personally. These people take the spots of passionate pre-design who would kill to have gotten in and now have to reapply, not to mention who in their right mind would jump through all those hoops if they didn't have a drive for it?! Have you met people like this and what are your opinions? Will they crash and burn as the years go by? Will they make good designers? I'm curious to see what others think.. :eek:<br/>

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
As I'm getting to know my classmates more and more I've met some that claim that they don't know why they chose to become designers. They basically wanted a job and liked pretty things, or maybe just liked pretty things and wanted the title (b/c let's face it there are other fashion industry jobs they could have picked). They have no passion whatsoever for it and are very indifferent about the whole design school thing, it disgusts me personally. These people take the spots of passionate pre-design who would kill to have gotten in and now have to reapply, not to mention who in their right mind would jump through all those hoops if they didn't have a drive for it?! Have you met people like this and what are your opinions? Will they crash and burn as the years go by? Will they make good designers? I'm curious to see what others think.. :eek:<br/>

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Doesn't that sound ridiculous, even if it was Pharmacy or Dentistry? Yet in medicine, bc it has it's own halo, all of a sudden the meaning changes.

Reactions: 1 users
Medicine, heck almost all healthcare professions, are noble careers because we work with people when they are incredibly vulnerable. Medicine needs people that value that... But at the end of the day it's still a profession, it's your job. It's not Jesus calling you to save the world, you are not exalted. The premed godly physician complex goes away pretty quickly when you realize you ain't **** and respect is earned, not given to you because you answered some MC questions right. The sooner you realize this is a job, a pretty cool one that requires a lot from you, but still a job, the happier you will be.

I think this is one of the biggest advantages to being a non-trad and having real life experience. You don't hold into these childish ideas.

Reactions: 12 users
Buuuut.. Physicians are gods who every day ride their Ferrari in to the office, answer a few multiple choice questions (just to keep themselves in tip top shape), save a few lives in a couple hours, deliver a baby in an empoverished country, discover a new treatment for a common illness, fill out some paperwork, and skip on home to thei mansion.

Gotta keep up the premed physician is a god illusion.

As I'm getting to know my coworkers more and more I've met some that claim that they don't know why they chose to become baristas. They basically wanted a job and liked coffee, or maybe just liked coffee and wanted the title (b/c let's face it there are other food service industry jobs they could have picked). They have no passion whatsoever for it and are very indifferent about the whole art of brewing coffee thing, it disgusts me personally - like stale coffee. These people take the spots of passionate pre-baristas who would kill to have gotten in and now have to flip burgers, not to mention who in their right mind would jump through all those hoops if they didn't have a drive for it?! Have you met people like this and what are your opinions? Will they crash and burn as the years go by? Will they make good espresso? I'm curious to see what others think.. :eek:

After you spent all year stressing and agonizing, traveling the country to tell random people you just met in a stressful interview setting why you wanted to become a doctor, you probably don't want to rehash the same tired answer for the 8th time for a pretentious classmate who is obviously trying to judge you.

Reactions: 7 users
At the end of the day, people are dumb. They don't know what they want, what will make them happy, or what's best for them. People get super passionate and excited about things they know nothing about. Passion and excitement are no way to judge a person's decisions.

You can't judge someone for saying 'I dunno' to a very personal question in an informal setting. Maybe they don't want to get into their reasons with that annoying classmate sitting next to them.
If they've gone through the steps of applying (taking the MCAT, writing a PS, dealing with secondaries, going on interviews) then they've probably had a good deal of time to reflect on their motivations, so I doubt anybody in medical school has no idea why they're there. Even if they can't verbalize exactly what that motivation is, I doubt that they'd be in school if they didn't want to be there.

Grow up. Just because someone's goals/motivations are different than yours doesn't mean that they are less deserving of the spot they EARNED. Boo-F***'n-hoo for those pre-meds that didnt get in because of these "less deserving students"...if they are passionate about going to medical school and becoming a physician, they will work harder for the next cycle and reapply...

I was in molecular research for years before applying to medical school and decided to go to medical school because I loved the science behind medicine and that was it. At the time I was very shy and not outgoing at all, honestly didnt really like to be around people I didnt know, let alone whiny and sick people who if they just dropped the cheeseburgers and stepped on a tread mill wouldnt be sick in the first place... I find the science behind each patient's illness interesting and thats what drives me to do my job and then come home after a long day and start reading...Throughout med school I learned that going into the patient's room and taking the time to show interest in their life/personal issues helps me get a better understanding of their disease process, and I learned to enjoy the patient contact with time. But, if you think that the best motivations for becoming a physician are that warm-fuzzy feeling you get when you do something nice for someone and they say "thank you", your in for a world of hurt....go be a crossing-guard or something. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter if the patient spits in my face or says thank you, I am still motivated to figure out/solve the problem.

To answer your questions:
1) Have you met people like this and what are your opinions - I am one of them...i think they're great!
2) Will they crash and burn as the years go by - I made it through and never came close to crashing/burning...I would argue that people with outside interests in medicine other than just helping people are less likely to crash and burn...If you keep on your current mind-set, being the person who is stressing out over what motivates and what other people deserve, your going to be very much alone in medical school.
3) Will they make good physicians - Yup.

image.jpg

I don't start med school for another month, but if one of my classmates asked me why I want to become a doctor when I barely know them I would make it a point to talk to them 100% less in the future. I just finished jumping through the adcom's hoops, let me finish my orientation cookout beer in peace.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't start med school for another month, but if one of my classmates asked me why I want to become a doctor when I barely know them I would make it a point to talk to them 100% less in the future. I just finished jumping through the adcom's hoops, let me finish my orientation cookout beer in peace.

"So I can get MD plates for my 740i."

Hm - well I'm in two minds about this. I got into medicine for the reasons you originally disapproved of (Liked science, wanted a stable non-boring job and cared about people...)...But now I am indeed wondering if those reasons were sufficient as I've found it takes so much away from my other passions that it might not have been a good idea after all.

That being said - this isn't everyone's story. Some people just aren't sure what they want to do and this is the best fit so far, some people are very pragmatic but make-up for in empathy and a studious nature what they lack in passion...We have absolutely no right to judge the intentions of others if they are doing what they are supposed to and if they end up making fantastic doctors then it really doesn't matter.

Of course you could argue that they make lousy, pissed-off doctors and that passion is what's needed in such an all-encompassing career - but that's the admission team's job to worry about not ours.

Hm - well I'm in two minds about this. I got into medicine for the reasons you originally disapproved of (Liked science, wanted a stable non-boring job and cared about people...)...But now I am indeed wondering if those reasons were sufficient as I've found it takes so much away from my other passions that it might not have been a good idea after all.
Depends on the specialty.

Haha, I almost said exactly this. I'm at a DO school.

I actually wonder how that works. New York has "physician" plates but they say MD. They have a bunch of other plates for chiros etc, but I don't see any DO plates. I wonder if you can get MD plates as a DO.

I actually wonder how that works. New York has "physician" plates but they say MD. They have a bunch of other plates for chiros etc, but I don't see any DO plates. I wonder if you can get MD plates as a DO.
I worked very briefly in a billing setting. Some old systems refer to DO's as MD's and justify this by saying DO's are Medical Doctors and thus MD is still relevant and accurate. When I explained that the MD was more for the latin (greek?) degree notation they said I was misinformed. So anyway it's not right, just lazy.

I love science. I'm less into the idea of people who get into medicine just because they wanna help the world even though they aren't passionate about science and just smile and give love.

The reality is...either way, the people getting in deserve to get in because they exhibited the characteristics required to excel (by and large) so what you or what I think doesn't really matter. If those "passionate" students are too dumb or too lazy to work for it vs the casual sorts that just want a title...well, too bad so sad.

OP sounds like a j udgemental a-hole. Just my 2 cents. Don't ask your classmates why they're going into medicine. If they're in medical school, they've successfully convinced Adcoms as to their motivation.

Seriously? Who wants to live in Maryland?
Not even for a Hopkins residency. Seriously.

As I'm getting to know my coworkers more and more I've met some that claim that they don't know why they chose to become baristas. They basically wanted a job and liked coffee, or maybe just liked coffee and wanted the title (b/c let's face it there are other food service industry jobs they could have picked). They have no passion whatsoever for it and are very indifferent about the whole art of brewing coffee thing, it disgusts me personally - like stale coffee. These people take the spots of passionate pre-baristas who would kill to have gotten in and now have to flip burgers, not to mention who in their right mind would jump through all those hoops if they didn't have a drive for it?! Have you met people like this and what are your opinions? Will they crash and burn as the years go by? Will they make good espresso? I'm curious to see what others think.. :eek:
Not a perfect analogy but I like what you did with that!

Glad to see most matriculants aren't as uppity and self-righteous about their reasons for going into medicine as some of the pre-meds I applied with last cycle. Neato.

I would ignore anything your classmates say. The reality is that most of them are scared s---less and afraid they won't have what it takes. They are painfully aware that half of you will end up being below average. There are so many other things on peoples' minds right now and expressing their passion for medicine is not one of them. Much of what they say is posturing anyhow, typical behavior for a group of high achievers thrust into a new social situation. This will eventually settle down as people find their stride.

In retrospect, I think the ability to truly feel a passion for medicine and express it easily is a luxury enjoyed by a select few in med school. Usually, but not always, these are the top students for whom everything comes easily and they can coast their way to AOA and 99th percentile test scores. They don't have to wrestle with the stresses like most people do because they always do well. The majority will be holding on for dear life just trying to stay afloat and negotiate all the hurdles. If you turn out to be one of the lucky, gifted few, be thankful for your gifts and cut your classmates some slack.

Reactions: 9 users
I would ignore anything your classmates say. The reality is that most of them are scared s---less and afraid they won't have what it takes. They are painfully aware that half of you will end up being below average. There are so many other things on peoples' minds right now and expressing their passion for medicine is not one of them. Much of what they say is posturing anyhow, typical behavior for a group of high achievers thrust into a new social situation. This will eventually settle down as people find their stride.

In retrospect, I think the ability to truly feel a passion for medicine and express it easily is a luxury enjoyed by a select few in med school. Usually, but not always, these are the top students for whom everything comes easily and they can coast their way to AOA and 99th percentile test scores. They don't have to wrestle with the stresses like most people do because they always do well. The majority will be holding on for dear life just trying to stay afloat and negotiate all the hurdles. If you turn out to be one of the lucky, gifted few, be thankful for your gifts and cut your classmates some slack.
Someone sticky this post.

you are probably projecting your own feelings/intentions of why you wanted to go into medicine.

Thanks to everyone who responded I def feel like an ass for being judgmental, you guys are right, it's not my business to judge nor are med students willing to be that open and honest in the first place. I was just shocked to hear people working so hard at something they claimed they didn't care about but I totally see where they can be coming from and how it is probably just a front/they don't wanna answer the Q for personal reasons. Gonna stay open minded my second year and start with a fresh viewpoint of things. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks to everyone who responded I def feel like an ass for being judgmental, you guys are right, it's not my business to judge nor are med students willing to be that open and honest in the first place. I was just shocked to hear people working so hard at something they claimed they didn't care about but I totally see where they can be coming from and how it is probably just a front/they don't wanna answer the Q for personal reasons. Gonna stay open minded my second year and start with a fresh viewpoint of things. Thanks again guys.

SDN, learning kids things besides biochem and anatomy. Aw yeah.

Reactions: 3 users
how can you be passionate about something you dont know.
I call BS on OP