Having kids at MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lijia4

MSUCOM c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be matriculating at MSUCOM in June 2012. I was wondering if any current students or recent grads have any insight on what I could expect as a new mom in medical school (specific to MSUCOM).

I am not currently pregnant, and have previously always wanted to wait until I finished residency to have children. However, my boyfriend of 3+ years is moving back to East Lansing and we have been talking more seriously about getting married, family planning, etc. He is older and wants to have children within the next 4 or 5 years (he is currently 44). I'm excited for motherhood and not totally against having kids in that time frame, but the thought of having kids in med school is a little scary for me. I know there is never a "right" time to have a baby and I'm sure once we have kids, we'll figure out a way to make it work. What I'd like to hear from those at MSUCOM or those familiar with stories of parents (particularly new mothers) at MSUCOM is what I can expect as far as how supportive the environment there is to new mothers, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to MSUCOM but the vast majority of people in my school have waited to have kids until their third year. A handful got pregnant late in their second year but I think it's just easier to take a month of rotations off than put off classes in the middle of a semester. Good luck.

Hi Lijia,

I'm a first year at MSUCOM and had my baby 2 months before starting. I also took time off between undergrad and medical school, and my partner and I planned to have the baby during this time for a few reasons:
1.) He was older, and I was not that young. I didn't want to be 35 by the time I'd have my first child. Friends in medical school advised me to have a baby before med school or wait until after residency because there is no good time.
2.) We had the live-in help. My partner's sister lives with us and offered to babysit while I was at school and/or studying. It's been a blessing to have so much support.
3.) We were financially stable. We had 2 incomes and could well provide for a baby.
4.) I had paid maternity leave plus my insurance through my old job had wonderful coverage, it only cost a co-pay $20 to have a baby. bonus.
5.) The baby would be in kindergarden when I start residency. Good timing.
6.) We knew we wanted to have a family and we weren't sure how feasible it was going to while I was in school/residency and super stressed out. I'm glad we did it this way because I was extremely sick during my pregnancy (vomiting 8-10 times per day if I didn't take medicaion) and I would've had to take a leave of absence if I had been in the program.

I know most of the reasons I gave were practical (as opposed to emotional), but the reality is that it is difficult to have a new baby at home, let alone be in medical school as well. Make sure you are prepared in all avenues. MSUCOM is very family friendly, they accomodate student needs as much as they can. I've heard a plus side to attending the E. Lansing site (I'm at DMC) is that there's a daycare program that has been subsidized for students (not just med students).

Overall my experience has been very positive; my classmates, teachers, and administration are all supportive and have helped me to keep going. I forgot to mention that MSUCOM offers an extended program which divides the first year curriculum into 2 years, so you can go at a slower pace if you choose. I considered doing this, but ultimately decided against it. It's not been an easy road (esp during anatomy and breastfeeding, talk about being tired!!), but taking it one day at a time has worked for me.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that most of the lectures for the first 2 years can be viewed online, from home. This has been ideal as I only have to go into school for a couple hours each day (for required labs - histo, OMM, clinical skills and exams). Anatomy is the toughest part because you'll have to be away from your baby most of the day, you HAVE to spend lots and lots of time in the anatomy lab to really get it down. No skimping on this one. Luckily it's only 8 weeks long so things get better after that. (Not the workload, just the amt of time you have to spend away from the home).

Thanks for all the insight! Sorry I'm a little late--for so long I wasn't getting any responses so I forgot to check in. I'm really not ready to have kids prior to matriculation so if all else works out we will probably shoot for when I'm in my 3rd or maybe 4th year. Ideally I'd still love to wait until after residency, but I don't want my kids to have a prehistoric dad ;) and he told me he doesn't want his 20 something kids to have to worry about changing his depends lol

I'm planning on attending the East Lansing campus when I confirm my intent to matriculate in September, so knowing there is a daycare option is good to know. In the event I have a baby early on, is MSUCOM relatively accomodating with breastfeeding? Ideally I'd like to for 6-12 months, but am unsure how realistic that will be if I'm in school (as well as the possibility of me having twins is really high--runs on both sides of the family and every one of my first cousins are popping them out two at a time lol).

Hey,
I am going through the similar battle. I am in early thirties and is going to start med school this year. Do you mind if you ask you for your advice by email.

Hi Lijia,

I'm a first year at MSUCOM and had my baby 2 months before starting. I also took time off between undergrad and medical school, and my partner and I planned to have the baby during this time for a few reasons:
1.) He was older, and I was not that young. I didn't want to be 35 by the time I'd have my first child. Friends in medical school advised me to have a baby before med school or wait until after residency because there is no good time.
2.) We had the live-in help. My partner's sister lives with us and offered to babysit while I was at school and/or studying. It's been a blessing to have so much support.
3.) We were financially stable. We had 2 incomes and could well provide for a baby.
4.) I had paid maternity leave plus my insurance through my old job had wonderful coverage, it only cost a co-pay $20 to have a baby. bonus.
5.) The baby would be in kindergarden when I start residency. Good timing.
6.) We knew we wanted to have a family and we weren't sure how feasible it was going to while I was in school/residency and super stressed out. I'm glad we did it this way because I was extremely sick during my pregnancy (vomiting 8-10 times per day if I didn't take medicaion) and I would've had to take a leave of absence if I had been in the program.

I know most of the reasons I gave were practical (as opposed to emotional), but the reality is that it is difficult to have a new baby at home, let alone be in medical school as well. Make sure you are prepared in all avenues. MSUCOM is very family friendly, they accomodate student needs as much as they can. I've heard a plus side to attending the E. Lansing site (I'm at DMC) is that there's a daycare program that has been subsidized for students (not just med students).

Overall my experience has been very positive; my classmates, teachers, and administration are all supportive and have helped me to keep going. I forgot to mention that MSUCOM offers an extended program which divides the first year curriculum into 2 years, so you can go at a slower pace if you choose. I considered doing this, but ultimately decided against it. It's not been an easy road (esp during anatomy and breastfeeding, talk about being tired!!), but taking it one day at a time has worked for me.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, and best of luck!
I forgot to mention that most of the lectures for the first 2 years can be viewed online, from home. This has been ideal as I only have to go into school for a couple hours each day (for required labs - histo, OMM, clinical skills and exams). Anatomy is the toughest part because you'll have to be away from your baby most of the day, you HAVE to spend lots and lots of time in the anatomy lab to really get it down. No skimping on this one. Luckily it's only 8 weeks long so things get better after that. (Not the workload, just the amt of time you have to spend away from the home).

Hey,
I am going through the similar battle. I am in early thirties and is going to start med school this year. Do you mind if you ask you for your advice by email.
Dude hasn't been around for years. Nice necro bump bro

I am due with my fifth baby in the middle of August (which would be at the end of anatomy). I was also in the ICU as a patient as little as two months ago due to pregnancy complications. If I am successful, I think that anyone motivated enough can be. I'll be at the Macomb campus. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am due with my fifth baby in the middle of August (which would be at the end of anatomy). I was also in the ICU as a patient as little as two months ago due to pregnancy complications. If I am successful, I think that anyone motivated enough can be. I'll be at the Macomb campus. :)

Haven't seen you post in a while. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user