Having Some trouble Arranging Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a fourth year US Caribbean medical student at largely unknown medical school. I'd like to arrange a psychiatry elective at a decent hospital but every program/hospital I talk to is affiliated with another school who only accept American medical students. My psych core was done at an outpatient clinic (which was great) but I'd very much like to get some inpatient experience at a reputable institution.

Can anybody point me in the right direction or give me a suggestion? I've read the stickied threads, but they don't have the answer to this sort of query.

Thanks for your time and any help.

Members don't see this ad.

This is only hearsay so please take it for what it's worth but University of Maryland does accept Caribbean medical students especially on their forensic (or jail?) rotation. If nothing else, it could be a good talking point at your interviews. You can try emailing the program director, Dr. Mark Ehrenreich, or the program coordinator for more info.

Thank you so much! I shot them an email. Gonna do this by brute force. If anyone else can suggest any programs, please let me know!

Thanks!

You could also try contacting alumni from your school who are currently in residency. Or just fellow Caribbean IMGs in residency if you can find their email addresses. They might empathize and give you an idea of what's possible at their current institution or at the very least, how they managed when they were in your position.

For starters, UMD / Sheppard Pratt also has a few Caribbean IMGs in their program currently.