Having to complete anti-kickback training because your CMG committed fraud is the most debasing thing in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Rawls

Reaction score
That's all

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
it was a part of their settlement. I love how their response to their failure is that everyone needs to take training classes forever. I guess the argument is more of us should have been whistle blowers

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What were the kickbacks they were getting?

When I was a resident at the VA, we all had to start doing extra MRI safety modules because the idiot techs let a patient into the MRI suite with a gun in his pants…the gun was ripped out of his pants and fired in mid air, sending a bullet zinging around the MRI suite….

For each year after that, I had to do like 3 “MRI safety modules” even though I’ve never been in an MRI suite in my entire life…

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Envision made us do kickback training as well. Though we know they are a massively fraudulent company so I'm not surprised.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with @RustedFox here. Someone want to explain? Which CMG committed CMS fraud?
The most recent one of any notable scale that I recall was EmCare before it was a subsidiary of Envision (the conduct occurred around 2010). However, that settlement was adjudicated 5 years ago. It makes sense that Envision would still require the training since I believe they were ultimately left holding the bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Back in the "old days" in these parts, we'd do one of these...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and play Hangman. Who remembers that? heh. (I've edited it THREE times and there's supposed to be a space there!)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping the name of the group would be unveiled that way, but for those not in on the joke, Foxy and I refer to:
F_ _ _ _ _ _ F _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
:cool:

I agree with everything said here. EmCare/Envision just got done with the mandated punishment training last year. Sound is still doing it. Strangely none of the training focused on throwing out management or rooting out high level corruption. It was all about how individual docs shouldn't accept a Starbucks card from a colleague. Because that's how this all went down right? Some ER doc in Topeka got taken to Sizzler by a radiologist and the OIG burst out like Elliott Ness. GOTCHA! It definitely wasn't upper management shenanigans at all.
But the CMGs aren't the only corrupt entities in EM. Not when United just had to pay Envision $91m for lowballing all their payments. It's a great freaking industry.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Back in the "old days" in these parts, we'd do one of these...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and play Hangman. Who remembers that? heh. (I've edited it THREE times and there's supposed to be a space there!)
Um In-and-out-Burger doesn’t fit, is there there is a new CMG named after Girthy Mcgirthaloons

Well, we've always had a bit of a middle-school sense of humor in these parts, Mr Jenny-McJennerson...
or, would that be Doctor Mr Jenny McJennerson? :unsure: (F_ TT_ McF_TT_ _ _ _ T _)

Could be worse. Could have a malignant director who was pocketing money, targeting employees, and openly stating appropriate staffing for known surge events was "a little racist if you think about it" because the event was a hip-hop concert and not some stereotypically white thing; so you ask for anyone to step in and discipline them.

And the solution to all of that is mandated "teamwork CME".

Envision made us do kickback training as well. Though we know they are a massively fraudulent company so I'm not surprised.
Before I went to medical school, I worked for American Medical Response ambulance...owned by Envision. Had to do medicare fraud/anti-kickback training. Fast-forward 8 years through medical school and residency, now working at an Envision shop PRN, still doing the anti-kickback training. Even got to keep my old employee number

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Before I went to medical school, I worked for American Medical Response ambulance...owned by Envision. Had to do medicare fraud/anti-kickback training. Fast-forward 8 years through medical school and residency, now working at an Envision shop PRN, still doing the anti-kickback training. Even got to keep my old employee number
They only add new courses. They never take courses away.

I agree with everything said here. EmCare/Envision just got done with the mandated punishment training last year. Sound is still doing it. Strangely none of the training focused on throwing out management or rooting out high level corruption. It was all about how individual docs shouldn't accept a Starbucks card from a colleague. Because that's how this all went down right? Some ER doc in Topeka got taken to Sizzler by a radiologist and the OIG burst out like Elliott Ness. GOTCHA! It definitely wasn't upper management shenanigans at all.
But the CMGs aren't the only corrupt entities in EM. Not when United just had to pay Envision $91m for lowballing all their payments. It's a great freaking industry.

Wow, docB back for a visit too. All we need is for QuinNSU(aka DrQuinn) to reappear and it will be like a reunion at the SDN nursing home

How about when your radiology group has a monopoly, and is performing terribly (5-7 hours for a read) and the hospital admin says "Don't call the radiology help line to demand reads more quickly!". Definitely no kickbacks or shenanigans there.

I really, really wish I had thought of this.

Reactions: 1 users