Having To Spend An Extra Year in HS

New Vocab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have to spend an extra year in high school on account of the fact that I missed a year of school in Grade 10 due to my parents' idiocy in taking me out of school to pursue some business "dream" they've always had. So, in essence, they sacrificed my education for their dream (which failed utterly for one of them; they're divorced), and now I'm left to pick up the pieces.

I'm 17 and turning 18 in November, and since I have to spend an extra year to get the credits I need to graduate, should I take this time as a blessing and do some AP classes in preparation for University of Waterloo Sceince in september? If the do the former, then I'll be going into a field that piques my interest, but I'll end up a year behind my peers.

Alternatively, if I rush everything and apply to Honours Arts at Waterloo and attend in January, I'll be in university and only a semester behind my peers - but taking courses I don't really have much interest.

What do you guys think?

I also have to brush up on my math (I haven't yet taken Grade 11 yet not because it is difficult, but because I just have been preoccupied in other courses) so maybe the first option is best?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well that really up to you. If you feel you are better staying a year of HS to prepare and you have completed all the necessary courses to graduate HS, then I say go for it. It really doesn't make a difference because if you take AP, then you can apply it in the college(if they allow it) you are going to and you will still stay up with you're peers.

So, I have to spend an extra year in high school on account of the fact that I missed a year of school in Grade 10 due to my parents' idiocy in taking me out of school to pursue some business "dream" they've always had. So, in essence, they sacrificed my education for their dream (which failed utterly for one of them; they're divorced), and now I'm left to pick up the pieces.

I'm 17 and turning 18 in November, and since I have to spend an extra year to get the credits I need to graduate, should I take this time as a blessing and do some AP classes in preparation for University of Waterloo Sceince in september? If the do the former, then I'll be going into a field that piques my interest, but I'll end up a year behind my peers.

Alternatively, if I rush everything and apply to Honours Arts at Waterloo and attend in January, I'll be in university and only a semester behind my peers - but taking courses I don't really have much interest.

What do you guys think?

I also have to brush up on my math (I haven't yet taken Grade 11 yet not because it is difficult, but because I just have been preoccupied in other courses) so maybe the first option is best?

Wow I thought my parents were nuts! Either way, it probably won't make a difference for when you're applying to medical school. Whether you are a semester behind or two, it still amounts to a one school year delay for matriculation. You may or may not know this, but all medical school programs start in late summer/early fall, it's not like other grad programs where you can start half way through the year or anything like that. Also working in your favor is the fact that no medical school will care about the
BS your parents put you through. Best of luck!