Hawaii retail pharmacy law questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmd2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These questions are specifically about Hawaii retail pharmacy law, so any CURRENTLY practicing Hawaii pharmacists, your answers will be greatly appreciated! I know in particular, Hawaii seems to be stricter than federal and other states with regard to transfers and controlled substance Rx's.

I've been through most of the HRS and HAR chapters but need clarification on a few things:

1) Can you transfer a FIRST FILL/ORIGINAL of an Rx (i.e. say a patient's doc called in an Rx to Pharmacy A which is either in Hawaii or on the mainland, but never went to pick it up there and now shows up at your Pharmacy B wanting it)? Or will the doc just have to re-call it in to your Pharmacy? (Again I'm not talking about transferring a REFILL, but a first fill).

2) Same question as above, but can you/can you not transfer a FIRST FILL of a controlled substance Rx that was sent to another pharmacy?

3) When an NP or PA orders a C.S. Rx for a patient, should you enter their info in the computer or the supervising MD's info?

4) Hawaii law says "all Rx's for controlled substances shall originate from within the State"...now does this mean that you can only dispense a C.S. Rx written by a Hawaii doc or the doc (no matter what state they are licensed in) just has to be physically present in Hawaii? Meaning a Hawaii doc vacationing in California can NOT call in a C.S. for his patient since he is not physically in the state, but a California doc vacationing in Hawaii can? The wording in that law is confusing...

5) Is a max day supply for a C-II in Hawaii 30 days? Does Hawaii law allow the issuance of multiple Rx's for a C-II up to a 90-day supply (which is allowed by federal law)? I did not see any mention of this in Ch 329...

Again, thank you in advance for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

b8ec3ae8a13cf35629afbe6.gif

Reactions: 1 user