Hay Fever and Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishindr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, strange question. But, for those of you out there that are severe suffers from hay fever (allergies to grass, pollen, molds, and everything else outside), how does it affect you in dentistry/dental school? I've been in bad shape for about a week now with runny nose, swollen itchy eyes, etc, etc. I can't imagine having to put a mask on and work on a patient in this condition?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for dental school, but I do have to wear a mask at work as an RT a lot, and I will tell you that Zyrtec and Singulair are Godsends for making me less miserable during allergy season. You might talk to your MD about getting prescriptions for those.

ISU_Steve said:
I can't speak for dental school, but I do have to wear a mask at work as an RT a lot, and I will tell you that Zyrtec and Singulair are Godsends for making me less miserable during allergy season. You might talk to your MD about getting prescriptions for those.

Yeah, Zyrtec helped for a period of time, but I've basically given up. I tried ALL the meds, the allergy shots (which I had 2 reactions to...not fun when you can't breathe), the bee pollen, and everything along the way. I'm starting to think out of the box at this point...maybe acupuncture? I'm OK with the fact that for about 3 months of the year, I'm going to basically be miserable, but I'm worried that it might cause some SERIOUS troubles for me when I have a full patient load. Not to mention, I was usually in really bad shape for all my finals during undergrad, HOW ARE THE BOARDS GOING TO BE!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to see an allergist. However, many like to go the immunotherapy route, which is a pain in the ass. I did it for like 10 years when I had asthma as a kid. It totally desensitized me to needles though.

fishindr said:
Yeah, Zyrtec helped for a period of time, but I've basically given up. I tried ALL the meds, the allergy shots (which I had 2 reactions to...not fun when you can't breathe), the bee pollen, and everything along the way. I'm starting to think out of the box at this point...maybe acupuncture? I'm OK with the fact that for about 3 months of the year, I'm going to basically be miserable, but I'm worried that it might cause some SERIOUS troubles for me when I have a full patient load. Not to mention, I was usually in really bad shape for all my finals during undergrad, HOW ARE THE BOARDS GOING TO BE!!! :eek:

Have you tried Alavert? you can get it at any local drugstore. It is the only thing that works for me and it works fast and all day.