HBCU v Predom White Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurkinjeFLboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am deciding between Meharry and Wake Forest. While I feel Wake has the prestige and ranking over Meharry, I definitely felt more comfortable at Meharry for some reason. I have been to predom white schools all my life (white private high school and Duke for undergrad) so I am used to always trying to prove myself and being the token in most of my classes. I didn't feel like that at Meharry. I felt it was an even playing field and probably would do well there. But, the facilities were definitely out of date, not that much cheaper than Wake when you include the price for living and other stuff, and really want to optimize going to a good residency program. Which one would you feel is a better choice overall? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd go to Wake Forest. Don't let the ethnicity of your peers determine where you go to school. You have no idea what kind of personalities those students have. If you do or already have judged them, then realize that you're no different than the white person prejudging a black person and assigning stereotypes. If you're use to being around predominantly white people, then a medical school of such shouldn't sway your decision. I'm the same way, where I grew up in areas with a majority of white people and few blacks. I don't mind being around either, but if I had to choose between an HBCU and another med school, I can assure you that the prospective race of the students would not be a factor.

However, it is always best to go to the place where you think makes the best fit. If that happens to be a HBCU, then by all means go there, but do so only because you feel much more comfortable (and your comfortableness being a top priority)

Just know this, that unless you plan on doing residency or practicing in a predominantly black area, then choosing a school based on its HBCU status, really doesn't do much to prepare you for diversity, in my opinion. Where do you want to practice? Keep that in mind.

All in all, try not to let the ethnicity of the student body be the deciding factor in your decision. In the grand scheme of things, there are far more important factors: clinical rotations, grading scale, pbl/traditional learning, location, available resources in regards to the school's focus (a school known for their radiology program will have some of the best rad docs in the business which a LOR would look great for residency, depending on what field you want to go in), etc...

Good luck!

Last edited:
So I am deciding between Meharry and Wake Forest. While I feel Wake has the prestige and ranking over Meharry, I definitely felt more comfortable at Meharry for some reason. I have been to predom white schools all my life (white private high school and Duke for undergrad) so I am used to always trying to prove myself and being the token in most of my classes. I didn't feel like that at Meharry. I felt it was an even playing field and probably would do well there. But, the facilities were definitely out of date, not that much cheaper than Wake when you include the price for living and other stuff, and really want to optimize going to a good residency program. Which one would you feel is a better choice overall? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi PurkinjeFLboy!

Upon reading your post, I would say to go to the place where you feel most comfortable (ie. Meharry). Med school is hard. You're going to be spending 4 yeard of your life there and you want to maximize your happiness in any way you can. I know plenty of great doctors who graduated from Meharry (it is an AMAZING program) and have gone on to do great residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty man I would go to Wake. Med school is a hard 4 years but when it is over you have life long friends no matter where you go and at this stage of the game you want to optimize your options. Meharry keeps it's match list under wraps unless you interview there or are alumni but I know from people who graduated there that it can be hard to get competitive residencies from it. For example, a Ortho resident I know said he had to really struggle to get LORs and multiple interviews since there are not really ortho heavy hitters at the school. I would imagine research for most specialties might be hard to come by as well especially with crumbling infrastructure. Take a good 2nd look at Wake Forest and if you still don't like it then ok but I would consider carefully. Wake Forest will just make your life easier come match time. Also where are you from? Proximity to family and friends can make med school more survivable so that deserves some consideration as well.

If I were you, I'd go to Wake Forest. Don't let the ethnicity of your peers determine where you go to school. You have no idea what kind of personalities those students have. If you do or already have judged them, then realize that you're no different than the white person prejudging a black person and assigning stereotypes. If you're use to being around predominantly white people, then a medical school of such shouldn't sway your decision. I'm the same way, where I grew up in areas with a majority of white people and few blacks. I don't mind being around either, but if I had to choose between an HBCU and another med school, I can assure you that the prospective race of the students would not be a factor.

However, it is always best to go to the place where you think makes the best fit. If that happens to be a HBCU, then by all means go there, but do so only because you feel much more comfortable (and your comfortableness being a top priority)

Just know this, that unless you plan on doing residency or practicing in a predominantly black area, then choosing a school based on its HBCU status, really doesn't do much to prepare you for diversity, in my opinion. Where do you want to practice? Keep that in mind.

All in all, try not to let the ethnicity of the student body be the deciding factor in your decision. In the grand scheme of things, there are far more important factors: clinical rotations, grading scale, pbl/traditional learning, location, available resources in regards to the school's focus (a school known for their radiology program will have some of the best rad docs in the business which a LOR would look great for residency, depending on what field you want to go in), etc...

Good luck!
:thumbup:

I agree that you should go where you feel most comfortable, but be sure to take into consideration the fact that Meharry has a traditional grading scale (A B C D F) instead of pass/fail. I plan to work hard in medical school but if I had a choice other than Meharry that I felt comfortable at, I would choose it over Meharry for this reason alone. This coming from someone who went to an HBCU for undergrad.

Most important question: which school records their lectures so you can study at home? I go to a school with recorded lectures and I rarely saw my classmates at all for the first two years. During clinical years, I saw a small handful that I happen to rotate with.

Also keep in mind the Meharry will close doors while Wake will open doors due to their significant prestige difference.