Other OT-Related Information Health insurance for students 26 and over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OThopeful97

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting OT school this year and my school requires everyone to have health insurance throughout the program. I am currently on my parent's plan, but I turn 26 in September and will need to find my own insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to look? I'm trying to find the cheapest possible plan but everything seems so expensive :/ Has anyone else been in this situation? Is there anything out there especially for full-time students who will have no income? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a full time student, you should be able to purchase insurance through the school where you're attending OT school. That's what I did (I was in my 30s when I went).

Reactions: 1 users
I actually just signed up for Medicaid. I am in a different state so my personal insurance wasn't going to cover much in a different state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have Medicaid as well. But my school also allows students to purchase insurance through them

I live in GA and unfortunately they don't offer Medicaid even though I would have qualified. And I'm attending a small private school and as far as I know, they don't offer student health insurance :/

I have insurance through the marketplace. It is a Medicaid expansion through blue cross blue shield. We shall see what happens in the coming months though, because my state gov is wanting to drop a lot of people. I would apply through the marketplace and see what you can get.

You may qualify for a special enrollment period due to the fact that you will be dropped after you turn 26.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you all pay per month? When I look at the plans in my area, the cheapest is 165!

I qualify for Medicaid so I don't pay anything. I live in New York.

I live in Arkansas and am currently part of the Medicaid expansion so I only pay 13 bucks a month because of my low income. Like I said, my government is voting to change the income limit so I may be kicked off of it or the terms will be renegotiated

I am going to bump off this tread! I am in a similar situation! I live in the state of Alabama and do not qualify for Medicaid due to the states standards. Upon starting OT school I will not have an income to pay for health insurance which is required! I looked at the marketplace and the cheapest coverage I could find is 165 dollars. I need something cheaper and unsure what to do after starting OT school ! I would appreciate any advice.

I am going to bump off this tread! I am in a similar situation! I live in the state of Alabama and do not qualify for Medicaid due to the states standards. Upon starting OT school I will not have an income to pay for health insurance which is required! I looked at the marketplace and the cheapest coverage I could find is 165 dollars. I need something cheaper and unsure what to do after starting OT school ! I would appreciate any advice.

Ugh same with GA! This totally sucks. I don't need to apply for insurance until August so hopefully it goes down but who knows. 165 is so ridiculously expensive :/

IF You live in a state which decided to expand medicaid (with the ACA) you qualify as a student for Medicaid if you make less than 133% of the poverty level. If your salary has changed - you can present that info to the case worker, it's based on your current income NOT your previous one. Most states have a Medicaid MCO (Managed Care Org) - e.g you get to pick an administrator for Medicaid: Blue Cross, Molina, etc.

The Medicaid option might not be along much longer, if the Republicans have their way.

You better enjoy it while you have it: it covers everything pretty much with no copay. PS Many states permit you to get food stamps as a graduate student if you work 20 hours a week or you take care of a parent/elder at home.

I don't think there is need to be alarmed yet. Although I am upset about even the possibility of being without insurance, the bill needs to pass through the Senate (tough feat). Plus if there are major changes to the bill, it then has to go back to the House and be passed again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some congressmen grow a conscious.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there is need to be alarmed yet. Although I am upset about even the possibility of being without insurance, the bill needs to pass through the Senate (tough feat). Plus if there are major changes to the bill, it then has to go back to the House and be passed again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some congressmen grow a conscious.

To be precise, if even ONE comma is added to the bill it must go back to the house and be voted on again. No major changes are needed. One comma will do the trick. I don't think it will pass, but you never know the capacity for evil of those who just don't care about people in situations like we are in.

To be precise, if even ONE comma is added to the bill it must go back to the house and be voted on again. No major changes are needed. One comma will do the trick. I don't think it will pass, but you never know the capacity for evil of those who just don't care about people in situations like we are in.

Good to know. I hope whoever drafted the bill has terrible grammar.