Healthcare consulting (from an undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponyo

人魚姫
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth-year pre-med undergrad at a core school. I plan to take 1-2 years between college and medical school and am interested in working for a healthcare consulting firm. A number of them recruit at my school, but it's hard to gauge from those few what things are like in the industry as a whole. If anyone is familiar with the industry, I would be extremely grateful if you could take a few seconds to answer these questions:

1. Are there "big" healthcare consulting firms, much like the big 3/4/5 in management consulting? What are some of the more established ones?

2. How specialized are they? How versatile are they in terms of their client base?

3. How heavy a role does formal recruitment play for these? Is it as significant as it is for management consulting? Should I expect to do most of my job search through networking and contacting firms that do not formally recruit?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm in a similar situation as you were in. Looking at healthcare consulting before applying to medical school. Could you answer your questions with your new knowledge and experience from the recruitment cycle?