Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Healthcare Finance Texts

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by southerndoc, 12.14.05.

1. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Any recommendations for great texts about healthcare financing; hospital operations; how hospitals are reimbursed (DRG's, DSH's, etc.) by federal, state, and private insurances, etc.?

Thanks!
  2. drcrusher

drcrusher DrCrusher

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hey SD, take a look at Understanding Healthcare Financial Management by Louis C. Capenski, 4th ed. I used it during business school. It was a great text because it read easy illustrating calculations and using actual balance sheets, income statements, and case studies from for profit and not-for-profit organizations. It does address recent reimbursement changes. It is a text that I would hate to misplace. For any doc that has aspirations of running his/her own practice or would like to head a department it's a great buy!

DC
  3. southerndoc

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the recommendation drcrusher (a Star Trek: TNG fan?). I'll take a look at it.

I've been more and more interested in healthcare management lately. Particularly, hospital administration (more along the lines of CEO). I think after a few years of practice I'll try to migrate into management, probably ED director first and then try to work my way up the ladder.
  4. drcrusher

drcrusher DrCrusher

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm currently going thru ERAS hoping to land a spot in ER, with the same aspirations as you!
  5. southerndoc

Attending Physician
    Applying to any New England programs?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal