Healthcare workforce lost 333,942 providers in 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allantois

Conversation Starter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

The physician specialties hit hardest by workforce exits are internal medicine (-15,000 providers), family practice (-13,015), clinical psychology (-10,874), chiropractic (-10,662), psychiatry (-8,629), optometry (-8,292), anesthesiology (-7,459), pediatric medicine (-7,330) and emergency medicine (-5,530). Combined, these nine specialties saw the loss of 86,791 physicians in 2021, according to Definitive's analysis.

Is this a joke? These jobs are "physician specialties" now?

Reactions: 3 users
I mean it's an article written by a non-medical writer lol. Loosing psychologists is actually a huge deal to the medical system IMHO

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I don’t miss the chiropractors but I DO miss people being able to find a psychologist…

How many leave every year? Don’t know how to interpret this

Reactions: 5 users
5530 ER providers lost yet USACS is still offering me postcards with rates starting in the high 90s?
Sean Hayes Wtf GIF by Team Coco

5530 ER providers lost yet USACS is still offering me postcards with rates starting in the high 90s?
Sean Hayes Wtf GIF by Team Coco
DBag and Co gotta make sure they can afford another stadium tower names after them. Next one will be "in honor of the blood and tears of EM docs tower". Dbag will continue to enjoy unbridled access to a bunch of college boys. Helps deal with his napoleon complex.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
DBag and Co gotta make sure they can afford another stadium tower names after them. Next one will be "in honor of the blood and tears of EM docs tower". Dbag will continue to enjoy unbridled access to a bunch of college boys. Helps deal with his napoleon complex.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 user
If something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

If something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Exactly. Usacs will wave and advertise the “benefits” and student loan payoff plan but then pay dog shet with 3.5 pph and supervising a bunch of midlevels

Exactly. Usacs will wave and advertise the “benefits” and student loan payoff plan but then pay dog shet with 3.5 pph and supervising a bunch of midlevels
…and people will take that job because it suits their lifestyle and then come on to SDN and post about how the industry has gone to hell due to administrators, mid-levels, lawyers, and even their patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we can all agree that the world is a better place with less chiropractors.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I think we can all agree that the world is a better place with less chiropractors.
And if usacs went belly up.

In other news for the residents and young docs. Dont be an idiot. If they pay you $50/hr less than market and you have a 3 year contract (usually at a miserable terrible craptastic site) if you work 1800 hours a year x 3 years is 5400 hours over 3 years x $50 thats 270k you are losing working for a soul sucking company full of scummy people who lie to you.

Residents have no idea because they aren't taught about salary. If you can learn complex medical management you can learn about pay. The thing is a lot of attendings don't tell residents this because money talk in academics is taboo.

Even preditory SDG depend on new grads I mean who else would work for 5 years to become "partner"

I've seen a few for back pain. I'd rather have more chiropractors than opioid pill mills

• Okay...
I love chiropractors. The contribute to my retirement fund by supplying my service with devastating strokes from vertebral and carotid dissections. I’m a fan. 🙄

• Haha
I love chiropractors. The contribute to my retirement fund by supplying my service with devastating strokes from vertebral and carotid dissections. I’m a fan. 🙄
They may also contribute to more lawsuits against you, as was the case in Georgia where a chiropractor caused a stroke, guy ends up in the ER and admitted, sued the EP neurologist and everyone under the sun. Don’t want that sort of job security. I know you’re being sarcastic, and I digress.

They may also contribute to more lawsuits against you, as was the case in Georgia where a chiropractor caused a stroke, guy ends up in the ER and admitted, sued the EP neurologist and everyone under the sun. Don’t want that sort of job security. I know you’re being sarcastic, and I digress.

Oh the case that 90 mins to get an MRI was too long? Meanwhile the EM doc had no control over the MRI tech being called in. No control over the MRI staff. And ordered an MRI within mins of the patients arrival.

But the ER doc got sued, after some “expert” witness was paid to agree that was not standard of care …

Reactions: 4 users
Residents have no idea because they aren't taught about salary. If you can learn complex medical management you can learn about pay. The thing is a lot of attendings don't tell residents this because money talk in academics is taboo.

Even preditory SDG depend on new grads I mean who else would work for 5 years to become "partner"
I don't think it's not taught because money talk is taboo in academics. It's because academicians (myself included) don't have the expertise to teach about this stuff. Good programs will recognize this deficit and bring someone in to teach about it (like the president of the nearest SDG, perhaps).

How many have you realistically seen?

I don't think it's not taught because money talk is taboo in academics. It's because academicians (myself included) don't have the expertise to teach about this stuff. Good programs will recognize this deficit and bring someone in to teach about it (like the president of the nearest SDG, perhaps).
They should bring the scumbag lawyers writing these employment contracts and creating business for themselves in the process

• Hmm
We probably get 1-2 per year in our neuro ICU but we are a CSC for a large catchment population. Most EPs will see a couple in their career. I saw 1 in residency after chiro manipulation and then went 15 years without seeing another.

If we are keeping it real, I have no real beef with chiro’s. I’m truly agnostic and was chiming in for chuckles.

Having said that, people are talking about a case involving a delay in getting an MRI. I’m not familiar with that case enough to comment other than to say I would suggest that CTA should be your first imaging modality in suspected dissection of any type. If you get that, you’ve more than met the standard of care in my book. Hell, you meet mine for vertebral dissection just for documenting a thorough neuro exam and providing some semblance of reasonable discharge instructions if you choose to send it home.

• Wow
Oh the case that 90 mins to get an MRI was too long? Meanwhile the EM doc had no control over the MRI tech being called in. No control over the MRI staff. And ordered an MRI within mins of the patients arrival.

But the ER doc got sued, after some “expert” witness was paid to agree that was not standard of care …
Those are two different cases. There was the chiro vert dissection case that was all over the place (ER doc ordered the CTA neck immediately with reason listed as "pain/dissection"): https://belllawatlanta.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/17-08-29-Buckelew-COMP-FSC.pdf
Note: Chiro settled and didn't go to trial.

And then there was the case of someone who had a pain procedure, couldn't move their legs, got sent to the ER, the doc there ordered a stat MRI of the spine within something like 10 min of arrival to the hospital, but got named because the scan took 90 minutes and the patient wasn't in the OR until 5-6 hrs later: A North Texas hospital waited hours to address a spinal emergency. It led to a woman's paralysis and a $10.1 million court win for her
Note: Pain doc settled and didn't go to trial.

An attending from our (rather busy because of referral patterns) stroke service estimates seeing it about once a month. Not sure how accurate his estimation is however.

• Wow
Those are two different cases. There was the chiro vert dissection case that was all over the place (ER doc ordered the CTA neck immediately with reason listed as "pain/dissection"): https://belllawatlanta.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/17-08-29-Buckelew-COMP-FSC.pdf
Note: Chiro settled and didn't go to trial.

And then there was the case of someone who had a pain procedure, couldn't move their legs, got sent to the ER, the doc there ordered a stat MRI of the spine within something like 10 min of arrival to the hospital, but got named because the scan took 90 minutes and the patient wasn't in the OR until 5-6 hrs later: A North Texas hospital waited hours to address a spinal emergency. It led to a woman's paralysis and a $10.1 million court win for her
Note: Pain doc settled and didn't go to trial.
Yeah I was referring to the former case, CTA was in fact ordered.

Yeah I was referring to the former case, CTA was in fact ordered.
I’ve not read that case but I can surmise from prior experience that the issues probably involved a delay in diagnosis supposedly leading to catastrophic damages. The problem that I personally have with these posterior stroke cases is the neurology expert vastly overstating the treatment effect had the stroke been detected in a timely matter. That is to say, no therapy is likely to keep you from blinking for food for the rest of your life once you’ve had a basilar artery stroke. Thus, I’ve only been invited to testify in 1 missed posterior TIA/stroke case probably because I said that with a greater than 50% probability, the delay did not significantly change the outcome…thus undermining the proximate cause of damages.

An attending from our (rather busy because of referral patterns) stroke service estimates seeing it about once a month. Not sure how accurate his estimation is however.
That's really rather shocking. You'd think there would be a ban on chiro neck manipulations if true

I have offered to do a financial literacy lecture for our incoming residents - so many just have no clue how basic retirement accounts work - and I was told that wasn't our role. I mean one of our staff has worked here for 6 years and just now realized they weren't getting the full match into a 403b - simple **** that smart people just don't know.

• Sad
That's really rather shocking. You'd think there would be a ban on chiro neck manipulations if true

No regardless Americans will rise against someone trying to ban things or place taxes on it.

I can see the tik tok now big med is against natural manipulations.

Same with banning BBLs

I have offered to do a financial literacy lecture for our incoming residents - so many just have no clue how basic retirement accounts work - and I was told that wasn't our role. I mean one of our staff has worked here for 6 years and just now realized they weren't getting the full match into a 403b - simple **** that smart people just don't know.
Well, if your program is consistent then they must not have docs teaching about wellness, because that's just as much outside their purview as is saving for retirement.