Heavy course load ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Would you consider this a too heavy course load in science?
Honors Orgo 2, Gen Physics 2, Genetics, Physics Lab, Organic Lab, Psychology Lab (credits: 4/3/4/1/2/1 respectively)

Should I keep that schedule or maybe replace Genetics with a psych class and take genetics next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like if you need to ask, you know the answer.

I wouldn't take that course schedule. Spread them out. Also, IMO, no one cares if you take ochem vs honors ochem....just get the A. Maybe take a non science class and show that you have varied interests and not just science

Reactions: 1 user
I took organic & lab, physics & lab, cell biology & lab, and a history course all in one semester. It was a lot of work but not impossible. And I looked at it this way: it was still nothing compared to med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes spread it out. I did a schedule that was very similar and it sucked hardcore. Taking genetics next year is a good idea in my opinion.

As someone who just took microbio, bio 2, orgo 2, microbio lab, bio 2 lab, orgo 2 lab, and history of western Europe I would recommend you spread your classes out a little bit. Having 3 10+ page lab reports due every week in addition to studying for all of the classes is extremely hectic, and chances are you'll have multiple exams on the same day on a regular basis. It's definitely not impossible, but in my opinion not worth it.

IMO, no one cares if you take ochem vs honors ochem....just get the A.
This a million times. I took honors orgo and I cannot imagine a more terrible academic experience. Just take the regular class and save yourself the unnecessary stress and extra studying.

Since we're on the topic:

Bio 2 w/ lab
Chem 2 w/ lab
Immuno w/ lab
Neurobio

I honestly do not have any other choice in my schedule (minor classes aren't offered and I took all my gen eds in high school)

Would you consider this a too heavy course load in science?
Honors Orgo 2, Gen Physics 2, Genetics, Physics Lab, Organic Lab, Psychology Lab (credits: 4/3/4/1/2/1 respectively)

Should I keep that schedule or maybe replace Genetics with a psych class and take genetics next year?

Also, yes I would substitute genetics with an easier class (be careful with psych classes, oftentimes they have just as much work as other science classes even though they may not be as mentally demanding. Check with psychology majors in your class to get their recommendations for lenient teachers/lighter course loads). Good luck!

Since we're on the topic:

Bio 2 w/ lab
Chem 2 w/ lab
Immuno w/ lab
Neurobio

I honestly do not have any other choice in my schedule (minor classes aren't offered and I took all my gen eds in high school)

There's probably a whole other section of the course catalog that doesn't have the word science anywhere to be found. Look there. College isn't all about satisfying course requirements.

There's probably a whole other section of the course catalog that doesn't have the word science anywhere to be found. Look there. College isn't all about satisfying course requirements.
Are you suggesting I take courses outside my major? I'm a bit confused.

This a million times. I took honors orgo and I cannot imagine a more terrible academic experience. Just take the regular class and save yourself the unnecessary stress and extra studying.

Some schools offer a more generous curve to the honors students. My school curved honors to B+ while regular orgo was B-/C+

why not take classes outside your major? i did. did me some good. took courses like ancient athletics, public policy, ethics. take different types of classes. it's healthy for you

Members don't see this ad :)
why not take classes outside your major? i did. did me some good. took courses like ancient athletics, public policy, ethics. take different types of classes. it's healthy for you
I'm at a public school and funding my education myself. Taking classes outside my major would simply be a greater expense with a lower payout.

I'm at a public school and funding my education myself. Taking classes outside my major would simply be a greater expense with a lower payout.

Classes outside of science majors are typically much easier and can help increase your GPA and give your brain a rest from your more difficult classes.

Um... what? Isn't tuition for undergraduate a flat fee for (usually) 15 credits (possibly overloading into 18 credit without extra charge)? To get a bachelors you need ~120 semester credits anyways, so it's not like you can take your 8 pre-reqs for med schools plus major requirements and be done with it.

Um... what? Isn't tuition for undergraduate a flat fee for (usually) 15 credits (possibly overloading into 18 credit without extra charge)? To get a bachelors you need ~120 semester credits anyways, so it's not like you can take your 8 pre-reqs for med schools plus major requirements and be done with it.
No. My school charges on a per credit hour basis.

Classes outside of science majors are typically much easier and can help increase your GPA and give your brain a rest from your more difficult classes.
I guess you make a decent point here.

I guess you make a decent point here.

Also, if I remember correctly, USMD programs require at least one non-science LOR. I think most of them stipulate that they'd prefer if that LOR wasn't from a mathematics professor. This leaves your English prof from your prereqs or a non-science class outside of your major.

Also, if I remember correctly, USMD programs require at least one non-science LOR. I think most of them stipulate that they'd prefer if that LOR wasn't from a mathematics professor. This leaves your English prof from your prereqs or a non-science class outside of your major.
Must we have taken a course under that professor? One of the professors I'm doing research under (I'm doing two research projects, one highly clinical, the other just out of personal interest) is a professor of anthropology. While I have not taken a class on the subject, I'm quite knowledgable about it and will likely manage a publication out of it. In this case, would that LOR be acceptable?

No. My school charges on a per credit hour basis.

But still you need a minimum credit hours to graduate that is much higher than what you need to finish your major and prereqs... So use those for non-science courses. Having a lot of different courses shows you have a diverse interest, which is good.

Must we have taken a course under that professor? One of the professors I'm doing research under (I'm doing two research projects, one highly clinical, the other just out of personal interest) is a professor of anthropology. While I have not taken a class on the subject, I'm quite knowledgable about it and will likely manage a publication out of it. In this case, would that LOR be acceptable?

Yes

But still you need a minimum credit hours to graduate that is much higher than what you need to finish your major and prereqs... So use those for non-science courses. Having a lot of different courses shows you have a diverse interest, which is good.

Yes
I realize this. I finished every gen-ed I could take in high school. As a result of such, I graduate roughly 1 class or so over (school requires 120, I graduate with 124) just through taking my major courses and pre-reqs (I took a LOT of AP courses)

And yes to which question I posed?

Are you suggesting I take courses outside my major? I'm a bit confused.

Yes. <gasp>

Others have already pointed out that this relieves your workload a bit to allow you to perform well in your other courses without taking a reduced course load.

There may be further payoff as well. Although I don't know how much it actually factors in, keep in mind that you're applying in an era when schools are really trying to pick/graduate physicians who have a more holistic understanding of and better rapport with a wide variety of patients. If all of your "gen ed" was done through high school AP courses, it will turn off some people who see humanities courses as much more than pre-reqs.

How many science majors/minors are you getting?

Yes. <gasp>

Others have already pointed out that this relieves your workload a bit to allow you to perform well in your other courses without taking a reduced course load.

There may be further payoff as well. Although I don't know how much it actually factors in, keep in mind that you're applying in an era when schools are really trying to pick/graduate physicians who have a more holistic understanding of and better rapport with a wide variety of patients. If all of your "gen ed" was done through high school AP courses, it will turn off some people who see humanities courses as much more than pre-reqs.

How many science majors/minors are you getting?
Dual major w/ a non-science minor (medical sociology, which I've managed to complete). I figured it would give me a more holistic understanding of and better rapport with a wide variety of patients, as you've mentioned.

Some schools offer a more generous curve to the honors students. My school curved honors to B+ while regular orgo was B-/C+

If this is the case for the OP then maybe it's a better option, but if you can get an A in regulars with less studying time than in honors anyway, it doesn't really matter about the curve, just go for the easier workload. Personally my school didn't curve for any class, so most regular orgo students easily had an A/A- while the honors class received mainly Bs with a lot more studying time put in. Wish I could've had your school's policy!

Don't do it man. Hindsight is better than foresight. Keep that GPA high as the sky!!

I'm at a school in Canada where all semester courses are worth 0.5 credits (20 to graduate) and labs are included within a course (so labs don't count for anything extra, yay), and I once took:
Bio 2 w/ lab
Phys Chem w/ lab
Physics 2 w/ lab
Anatomy w/ lab
Physiology w/ lab
History of Opera

......Would not recommend