Hello again....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikeanjelo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with my pathetic 2.9 GPA i basically got rejected from BU....ya tell all your friends about it haha....So i wanted to get some advice on something, what makes a good a Personal statement? For next year and i want to do things i can put on my statement for next year and i wanna start now.
Also, i couldnt get into a masters program, not yet atleast, i already got a rejection from one professor, i was wondering if i do a post bac and then re apply for a masters, or can i apply to dental right away after post bac, i dont wanna waste my money. Also, if i dont get in a masters in bio, can i do another thing? it has to be science right? How effective is a post bac? does anyone think a post bac is sufficient? or a masters is crucial? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed them, and called them and they said i should look into doing a masters....

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them about my chances, and the guy told me to look into doing a masters because my app isnt competitive to everyone else...yees this cycle

So with my pathetic 2.9 GPA i basically got rejected from BU....ya tell all your friends about it haha....So i wanted to get some advice on something, what makes a good a Personal statement? For next year and i want to do things i can put on my statement for next year and i wanna start now.
Also, i couldnt get into a masters program, not yet atleast, i already got a rejection from one professor, i was wondering if i do a post bac and then re apply for a masters, or can i apply to dental right away after post bac, i dont wanna waste my money. Also, if i dont get in a masters in bio, can i do another thing? it has to be science right? How effective is a post bac? does anyone think a post bac is sufficient? or a masters is crucial? Thanks again.

given that you have a decent DAT or GRE you should be able to get into a masters with a 2.9 . and yes it has to be science. you need to show the admissions committees that you can handle graduate level coursework.

Did u only apply to 1 school?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

no many, but i doubt ill get in, im planning for the worst...

Personal statements are supposed to convey why you're interested and what you'd do as a dentist, without any fluff or BS.

What got you interested in the field? What was the thing that made you think, "This is right for me"?

Feel free to discuss what makes you a good candidate, but don't let it dominate your piece. The same thing goes when talking about disadvantages you may of had(and please at least mention how you dealt with them, no one likes a whiner).

Remember to use actice voice and avoid "soft" verbs like think and believe. It's a matter of conveying confidence. Varying sentence structure helps keep you from sounding repetitive, but this is a nitpick thing that can be resolved after you get your thoughts down.

You'll have numerous drafts of this paper. That's okay! Almost no one can nail it on the first try. Let different people proofread it to avoid errors or odd phrasing.

I wish you all the best!

A 2.9 could benefit from a masters. Do a 1 year masters and do some research, more ECs and shadowing on the side. Your application should be in a much better stance next cycle.

i had a 21 DAT. yea i know im trying to get in a masters program. Its pretty competitive these days too, a lot lot less "seats" than dental school

If you're willing to relocate, it Shouldn't be a problem. Barry has one, UMDNJ, Cincinnati etc etc etc