Hello and Happy To Help Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The O.R. Light

Always Searching
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a long-time lurker to SDN, and finally created an account.

I'm a current 3rd year, but also an experienced tutor and teacher. I'm happy to help you guys through the crazy process of applying to medical school, feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Break a leg, you will get through!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. are you a 3rd year DO student?
  2. What specialty are you planning on?
  3. Which year has been the most difficult? which class?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. are you a 3rd year DO student?
  2. What specialty are you planning on?
  3. Which year has been the most difficult? which class?

1: Yes I am!

2: Trauma Surgery, I knew this as I was coming into medical school. Rotations have not changed my mind, in fact they helped solidify my choice further.

3: 2nd Year, due to balancing Boards and classes. I did not want my grades to fall, so I had an Excel spreadsheet to help plan the studying. Helped immensly! As for the hardest class, I would say Pharm. It was learning a different language, plus methodology and side effects and interactions. Felt like Chemistry again, but with repetition, it finally solidified itself.

Why did you chose DO instead of MD?

I've used my hands to communicate and build things, and I have a mindset that is very broad when I look at a patient. They may have a headache, but I wonder if it comes from something with their legs? Learning OMM was a satisfaction I could not have obtained on an MD path, and the approach to thinking about patients matched how I view not only medcine, but life.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
1. How have your studying habits differ compare to undergrad and 1st yr in med school?
2. Any motivating/inspirational advice(s) you would like to give to college undergrad?
3. Did you get into med school your first try? What made you stand out when you were applying?
4. What is your typical day like? How long you study for and how much free time do you have?

For trauma surgery. Don't you just match Gen Surgery and then try for a fellowship?

1. How have your studying habits differ compare to undergrad and 1st yr in med school?
2. Any motivating/inspirational advice(s) you would like to give to college undergrad?
3. Did you get into med school your first try? What made you stand out when you were applying?
4. What is your typical day like? How long you study for and how much free time do you have?

1: There is no cramming material, unlike undergrad. I would NEVER stay up all night cramming material the night before an exam. You can't do that and not burn out. Budget your study time, make a schedule and stick to it, it will make your life (and grades / knowledge) so much better.

2: NEVER take no for an answer when applying. Be bold, be brave, and be willing to explore options. Don't become ignorant or demanding, but always stay persistent with your dream. I didn't take no for an answer when applying and now I wouldn't trade what I have for the world, even on the worst days.

3: I applied twice actually. The first time I was close, but did not get in. The second time, I had worked for a year full time and retook my MCAT while my mother was battling breast cancer. I was her caretaker while managing a full time job and my applications. It was madness, but showed I do not give up no matter the adversity. And honestly, one of my standouts as an applicant was my costuming! I work with my hands to communicate and build, I'm a 3D thinker. I've been in the NY Times for it, and the hobby is part of who I am and how I think. When thinking about what makes you unique, it's not always about academia. Its about something special to you, something no one could replace or replicate if you were gone or had not had that particular experience.

4: My day varies per year, per week actually. First year, I had more free time, but buckled down hard as exams got closer. I make sure I do SOME form of studying daily, be it a video marathon or hours with books. Something to keep the gears turning. Free time is a rarity in 2nd year, but 3rd year has been up and down. It depends on your workload at that time!

No worries if you don't want to answer some of these Q's but I'll shoot anyways.

1. What school do you go to?

2. Did you take usmle?

3. How did you fare on either or comlex and usmle? And any advice/study tips for either tests?

4. Anything you wish you would have known before starting school? Or anything you would have done different in regards to school?

No worries if you don't want to answer some of these Q's but I'll shoot anyways.

1. What school do you go to?

2. Did you take usmle?

3. How did you fare on either or comlex and usmle? And any advice/study tips for either tests?

4. Anything you wish you would have known before starting school? Or anything you would have done different in regards to school?

1: Rowan SOM

2: Taking USMLE now as a 3rd year on June 7th. I studied for both 2nd year, but really listened hard to my gut feelings about taking 2 large exams close together. I wanted to kill the COMLEX with a solid score report. That being said....

3: I got a 596 on COMLEX 1, and I'm seeking General Surgery and Trauma Fellowship. My score report was solid. While I wanted over 600, I will take what I have humbly. I now tutor Boards, so when USMLE comes around, I will slaughter that thing. Tips wise, KNOW. THYSELF. I caps that for a reason.
Find how you learn, use it
Use fewer resources, milk them for all they have. More board stuff doesn't mean better
Practice practice, the qbanks and practice tests are there for a reason. Do it. No hesitation.
Start EARLY. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL SPRING TO STUDY. Start early, small amounts each day building to your goal. You WILL get there, you just don't want to arrive there dead on your face.

I can give plenty of tips, but if you're looking for something specific, let me know. Makes my response easier!

4: I knew what I was getting into ahead of time, so my advice to those prepping for school is know the school well. Talk to people going there, get a feel for things. Expect changes to those things, school can be very unpredictable.

In terms of different, I think I would have given myself more of a break. I'm a bit of a workaholic, I study a LOT. I'm learning the process now of allowing myself to enjoy some free time without feeling I always have to do something. I still work as hard as ever, just wiser.

You say you tutor boards now, what do you exactly mean by that? Do you just privately tutor 2nd years? What exactly are you doing?

Also I didn't know you could take step 1 towards the end of 3rd year, what's the deal with that. As long as you take comlex you can take usmle anytime before you have to apply to residencies?

Last edited:
1q. Does the timing of when you toke the USMLe matter, bc from my understanding it is taken historically in the summer of 2nd year?

2q. Did you do research summer of 1st year. Is research vital for some residencies?

What kind of value did you find in going to lectures? Was it better for you, as many say on here, to skip the non-mandatory classes and watch lecture recordings at 1.5x speed?

You say you tutor boards now, what do you exactly mean by that? Do you just privately tutor 2nd years? What exactly are you doing?

Also I didn't know you could take step 1 towards the end of 3rd year, what's the deal with that. As long as you take comlex you can take usmle anytime before you have to apply to residencies?

My school has a tutoring program we use, I can tutor students privately and get paid for it through them. Its great review of material actually!

And I spoke to my Dean before making the decision to separate the two tests. Yes, it's a challenge to study while on Rotations, but since COMLEX 1 is out of the way and I have a solid hold on a lot of the material, it makes studying for the USMLE way less nerve inducing. With exams of that caliber, I give my all or nothing at all. Separating the two allowed me to perform my best rather then be burnt out during 2nd year.

1q. Does the timing of when you toke the USMLe matter, bc from my understanding it is taken historically in the summer of 2nd year?

2q. Did you do research summer of 1st year. Is research vital for some residencies?

1: Most take it during 2nd year yes, but there's no written law that forces you to take it during that time. With Boards, listen to your gut instincts and talk to someone you REALLY trust with your gameplan (I spoke with my Dean about this for example).

2: I did not do research, and from what I've seen on the grapevine, research isn't super critical but it can help if you're passionate about it. Don't just do it just to have research on your resume, that can be sniffed out easily. Do what your heart guides you to do, passion for what you do is more important then just words on paper.

What kind of value did you find in going to lectures? Was it better for you, as many say on here, to skip the non-mandatory classes and watch lecture recordings at 1.5x speed?

It depends on the lecture, since each professor taught in different ways. It also depends on how you learn, some get very anxious in a classroom setting and others NEED the lecture to learn.

My advice would be give the lectures a chance. Go and see how you feel about it, ask yourself if you handle the material better by being in lecture or home. Some classes I LOVED being in lecture, others I would rather skin myself then attend. Do what is best for you, and what's more important, do well.