Hello

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strumzilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, (long post, sorry)

I’m looking for feedback from anyone who's been in a similar situation, knows someone who has, or really just any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a retired Army Physician Assistant, just having retired in October 2010 after 23 years service. I was a PA for 12 years, serving stateside with multiple overseas trips to Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Korea, etc. I have worked in family practice, occupational medicine, and of course the typical military medicine/deployment setting (trauma, inf dz, ortho, etc.).

I have a B.S. for PA school, an MPAS in family medicine, and an MPH in occupational medicine. My cumulative GPA is around 3.8, I think my science GPA will be a little lower since my worst semester GPA was around 3.375 for the first semester of PA school where I made something like 6 B's and 4 A's. I have never made worse than a B.

Right now I’m working in an Army family practice clinic at Ft Hood, Texas. I have some financial commitments and I want to save money so I plan on working for the next two years with a plan to start a post bac pre med (haven’t decided on formal/informal but I’m leaning formal) in Fall 2010. I have taken truncated versions of many of the pre-reqs during PA school but my plan is to repeat them since it’s been over 12 years, my courses will probably not be universally accepted, and I want to refresh and prepare myself for the MCAT.

I’m planning on being a full time student at least during the fall/spring, although I’m probably going to try just a 12 hour course load (chem, bio, physics) for the first semester to ensure I make straight A’s (my goal is a 4.0 for the premed courses). I may adjust that depending on my success or lack thereof. I’m thinking I can take the MCAT in the spring of my second year and perhaps apply then for the upcoming cycle or I may need to delay another year depending. I’m prepared to add a year if necessary.

I don’t really have any volunteer or extracurricular history to provide, I’m hoping my military career and experience as a PA will cover that. I have been involved in hundreds of humanitarian missions in Kosovo, Iraq & Afghanistan. One gap I’m going to try and fill is not being published up until this point. I let a couple of opportunities pass me by in the past, but I’m assuming that’s a possible question an admissions committee might ask. I’m not lazy, it’s just I haven’t been in any collaborative research/academic situations that lent themselves to studies/publication. It’s an excuse, but somewhat valid.

One distinguishing characteristic is my age. I’m 43 and I’ll probably be 47-48 when I start med school. That being said, I only see my age as a positive. I’m much more mature, experienced, financially stable, etc. I know that med school will be a challenge for both my wife and myself, but I have been in some pretty stressful and challenging situations that lasted for a long time and I don’t anticipate that med school will be a challenge I can’t handle. From a physical standpoint I think I’m ironically in better shape physically than I was for most of my career. Since I have total control of my physical exercise schedule now I really just run, but I’m running more miles a week than I did in my twenties and I’m getting ready to run a marathon in February. I have already run several half marathons. Regular cardio also has an added benefit of better concentration when studying. Anecdotal on my part, but it’s true.

So all that to ask if anyone has any advice or feedback on my situation? I should add that I plan to do everything in Texas if at all possible. My first choices for med school would be Baylor or UT Southwestern but I’d be happy to go anywhere I was accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you're on the right track deciding to retake courses and studying for the MCAT :thumbup: In regards to volunteering experience, I believe you should still consider volunteering. Many med schools look for individuals who are committed/dedicate his/her time for community service :) As far as research experience, I think you still have the opportunity to be involved in clinical research through your post-bac program. So I suggest you to strive and take part in research. Good luck!

(in regards to the med schools that you plan on applying, I was wondering if you considered USUHS? since you have a military background I thought it might be advantageous to you? but then again I don't know USUHS but heres more info: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187188 )

Thanks for the feedback. USUHS would have been a great option, but unfortunately there's a congressional requirement that they don't accept anyone older than 41 since you are required to serve several years after graduation.

The research during the post bac wasn't something I had considered yet, but that's a good suggestion. I'm still going to try to get a journal article or two published if possible in the interim.

Members don't see this ad :)
welcome. everything things solid with a decent plan, but I have to ask, what is your end goal? you seem to have experience with family practice and if that is what you are shooting towards, I almost question whether it would be worth it. but it isn't my choice, it is yours. I wish you the best and you appear to know exactly what you need.

welcome. everything things solid with a decent plan, but I have to ask, what is your end goal? you seem to have experience with family practice and if that is what you are shooting towards, I almost question whether it would be worth it. but it isn't my choice, it is yours. I wish you the best and you appear to know exactly what you need.

Good point, and that question has been raised by some of my physician colleagues. I haven't decided on a specialty yet, although I have some definite preferences for what I don't want to do. My main motivation is to become better at medicine through learning more in greater depth, catching up on the advances in medicine since I graduated, and getting more exposure to the various specialties that I only had brief exposure to during PA school.

I know that's achievable without going to medical school but it's been a goal of mine that I had put aside while still on active duty and I thought I was going to give it up because of the time commitment I was looking at. My outlook has changed dramatically since retirement and I honestly anticipate that I will want to continue to work well into my seventies and beyond (probably part time by then) if I'm still around. I just feel professionally that I haven't finished the marathon, so to speak. I'm leaning more towards Emergency Medicine if I choose something primary care-ish, but I really want the opportunity to actually spend more time in various specialites as a med student and get a better taste of the practice which I only briefly experienced while in PA school and to a lesser depth.

Not to mention that my experience and confidence in practicing medicine will (mostly) enhance my learning experience. I'll have to humble myself quite often I'm sure and be willing to learn new ways of doing things that I have developed habits with.

...I'll have to humble myself quite often I'm sure and be willing to learn new ways of doing things that I have developed habits with.

I think that's something that all of us coming from a past career in health care will have to deal with. As a medic, I've been told numerous times that I will have to change the angle from which I approach patient care. It may be easier in your case as a PA since you have already been taught to think more diagnostically than medics are usually taught. But I'm ready to turn off my hindsight-o-meter and start from the very bottom.