Help! 26 MCAT 3.63 cGPA 3.63 sGPA URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'd like to get some input on what my chances are of getting interviews/acceptances into medical school.

Background: African-American female. Texas Resident. Rising senior at an HBCU.

MCAT:
9 PS 9VB 8 BS
26 overall

My EC's:

2 summers worth of research (May-August), 1 summer at UT Southwestern, 1 summer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Around 80 hours of shadowing

1000+ hours of non-medical volunteering and community service

Merit based scholarship awarded by my university

Project Coordinator for two years of a community service organization at my school

Member of several honor societies

Submitted TMDSAS application: 6/29

Applied to:

UTSW
UT-H
UTMB
UTSA HSC
TAMHSC
Texas Tech HSC- Lubbock & El Paso

Also applying to these AAMCAS schools: Baylor and Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT's a bit low, but within the 10-90 spread for several TX medical schools, so you should get several interviews if your PS and LORs are good. Your good GPA and URM status should help compensate.

I would also add TCOM - It's well respected and would be a good safety for you. Do shadow a DO first.

You have a good chance as an urm especially African American. I've seen Hispanics get into UTMB with a 22. You should get interviews everywhere except maybe Utsw/Baylor.

Members don't see this ad :)
No prob! I had a 27/3.5ish as a nonurm and got invites to a&m, Uthscsa, UTMB, and Tcom.

Good chances since you're black.

I recommend applying to more schools if you can. Do you qualify for FAP? Also, you might want to add TCOM, unless you are completely against going DO. Never hurts to try.

Overall, good chances :thumbup: