Help a fellow re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up SDN, before I start, I just wanted to say thank you for your much appreciated, needed, input.

So I'm finishing off what seems to be so far a failed application cycle. I received 1 interview and got wait-listed at the school. I have recently been accepted into an SMP program (1-year) for Fall 2015 and are hoping to matriculate into medical school directly afterwards in Fall 2016.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: AMCAS - 3.1 AACOMAS - 3.3
MCAT: 28

I am confident that I will attain a 3.75+ GPA in the SMP program because early freshman/sophomore courses killed me. I have A's in Orgo/Biochem/Physio/Physics/Anatomy/MolecBio/etc.)

Questions:

1) Should I retake the MCAT in August? The material is still fresh in my head and if I do I will start studying this week which would give me 2 months to prepare for it. I originally took the MCAT in November 2014 and received a 24 so I decided to retake it in January 2015 and scored the 28. I'm applying to DO and MD but feel that to be competitive for MD I would need a 33+.

2) How much should I change my AMCAS/AACOMAS application? Not much has changed since the last time I completed the applications except that I took the MCAT in January(which I doubt a lot of schools even took that score into consideration) and the Fall and Spring course grades (graduating this Summer 2015). Should I redo my writing for the work/activities section? I also got a lot of help on my PS so I'm not sure if I should even change that. What would you guys recommend?

3) Is there anything you guys recommend while doing this SMP and applying to medical school at the same time?

@Goro if you could give me your 2 cents, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How badly do you want the MD? With a 28, these schools are in striking distance:

TCMC
Quinnipiac
FIU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Gtown
GWU
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Your state school(s).

1) Should I retake the MCAT in August? The material is still fresh in my head and if I do I will start studying this week which would give me 2 months to prepare for it. I originally took the MCAT in November 2014 and received a 24 so I decided to retake it in January 2015 and scored the 28. I'm applying to DO and MD but feel that to be competitive for MD I would need a 33+.

One semester of good performance in the SMP might not be enough to convince Adcoms that you can make it through medical school. Proceed with caution.
2) How much should I change my AMCAS/AACOMAS application? Not much has changed since the last time I completed the applications except that I took the MCAT in January(which I doubt a lot of schools even took that score into consideration) and the Fall and Spring course grades (graduating this Summer 2015). Should I redo my writing for the work/activities section? I also got a lot of help on my PS so I'm not sure if I should even change that. What would you guys recommend?

Improve whatever is lacking in your ECs. try for something that would make you stand out from the cookie cutter applicant.
3) Is there anything you guys recommend while doing this SMP and applying to medical school at the same time?

Thank you for the quick reply @Goro

It's not that I badly want an MD, it is rather that I want to widen my opportunities. A higher MCAT equates to a higher chance of an acceptance(s). My only concern is whether the 28 MCAT, in addition to an SMP, would be enough to gain multiple interviews this upcoming cycle. Assuming I apply to 2/3 of the schools you posted, would you recommend I retake it and aim for a higher score?

P.S. - My state school (DO) where I received the wait-list was remarkably impressive and will be applying there again. Given the circumstances, I can confidently say that I would attend their school over an OOS acceptance (regardless of the school being an MD/DO).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you more opportunities, then a higher MCAT is needed.

Thank you for the quick reply @Goro

It's not that I badly want an MD, it is rather that I want to widen my opportunities. A higher MCAT equates to a higher chance of an acceptance(s). My only concern is whether the 28 MCAT, in addition to an SMP, would be enough to gain multiple interviews this upcoming cycle. Assuming I apply to 2/3 of the schools you posted, would you recommend I retake it and aim for a higher score?

P.S. - My state school (DO) where I received the wait-list was remarkably impressive and will be applying there again. Given the circumstances, I can confidently say that I would attend their school over an OOS acceptance (regardless of the school being an MD/DO).

Reactions: 1 user
The important point to make here is that people who get into MD schools through SMPs despite poor undergrad gpas have MCATs that are at least in the average range(31) more times than not. There examples of making up for either a subpar undergrad gpa or mcat; overcoming both isn't particularly realistic

Having already taken the MCAT twice and topping out at 28 there is even a bigger need to get a significantly higher score, even above 31 is probably what you need. The problem is the track record of people making major mcat improvements after 1 test is not good; making improvements after 2 tests is even a lot worse.

Good luck. Do NOT take the mcat before you are ready and feel confident and have good reason to believe there'll bd major improvement this time. If you are content with DO it Honestly might be best to focus on that and save the money on SMP( you don't need it for DO with a 3.4) and just focus on DO admission. If you can carry your success from your later years of undergrad to DO school you can do pretty much anything. If you have aced so many difficult classes the past 2 years Theres reason to believe you can do very well in DO school and be competitive for many specialties

Reactions: 1 user
The important point to make here is that people who get into MD schools through SMPs despite poor undergrad gpas have MCATs that are at least in the average range(31) more times than not. There examples of making up for either a subpar undergrad gpa or mcat; overcoming both isn't particularly realistic

Having already taken the MCAT twice and topping out at 28 there is even a bigger need to get a significantly higher score, even above 31 is probably what you need. The problem is the track record of people making major mcat improvements after 1 test is not good; making improvements after 2 tests is even a lot worse.

Good luck. Do NOT take the mcat before you are ready and feel confident and have good reason to believe there'll bd major improvement this time. If you are content with DO it Honestly might be best to focus on that and save the money on SMP( you don't need it for DO with a 3.4) and just focus on DO admission. If you can carry your success from your later years of undergrad to DO school you can do pretty much anything. If you have aced so many difficult classes the past 2 years Theres reason to believe you can do very well in DO school and be competitive for many specialties
Thank you for the well thought-out reply GrapesofRath. Perhaps you or @Goro could assist me in compiling a list of schools for DO? I'm not sure what the rankings are as far as Osteopathic schools go with respect to my qualifications.

I have decided that I'll still be going through with the SMP program and apply to both DO & and MD. If I don't get into any MD schools, so beat it. If worse comes to worst, the SMP wouldn't be a waste of money. Although I may have not needed it, at least I'll be well-prepared for the medical school curriculum come Fall 2016.

I'll also be taking the MCAT in August, I know it's late into the cycle but I can't see it hurting me that much assuming that schools are going to wait to see how I'm doing in the SMP program anyways.

Thank you for the well-thought out reply GrapesofRath. Perhaps you or @Goro could assist me in compiling a list of schools for DO? I'm not sure what the rankings are as far as Osteopathic schools go with respect to my qualifications.

I have decided that I'll still be going through with the SMP program and apply to both DO & and MD. If I don't get into any MD schools, so beat it. If worse comes to worst, the SMP wouldn't be a waste of money. Although I may have not needed it, at least I'll be well-prepared for the medical school curriculum come Fall 2016.

I'll also be taking the MCAT in August, I know it's late into the cycle but I can't see it hurting me that much assuming that schools are going to wait to see how I'm doing in the SMP program anyways.

There are multiple wrong things here
1) Worst comes to worst you do poorly in the SMP program and completely destroy any chance of a DO or MD school once and for all. It's great to say you "think" you can do well in a DO program and have confidence. Everybody thinks this; if they didn't they wouldn't do it. You are competing against MD students who've been getting grades at least as good as those your past 2 years if not better their entire life. That's a brutal standard to have to beat the majority of them to get good SMP grades. That's why people don't recommend it lightly; only do it if you really need it and are willing to risk not being a doctor at all by not doing well enough. If you are gunning for an MD and nothing else it could be justifiable(albeit I'd still be meh on it). Doing it when you are perfectly content with a DO school is just a big risk and waste of money.
2) A late MCAT for MD admission is basically worthless. Many DO schools a late MCAT will hurt as well(there are those where late August isn't late Goro can chime in there). Whatever decision you make at least make it off correct ideas.