Help a kid from Kansas make a decision.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What combo should I do

• Pharmacy and Law- Law degree will take an additional 2 years after completion of pharmacy school

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pharmacy/ CPA-6 or seven years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KCTennis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post and I wanted to ask people in the field this question. Right now I am a senior in High School and when I begin my first year of college as a Freshmen I will already have 36 hours of college credits due to things like dual enrollment and AP classes. So I have some free space in my schedule that I will be in school with 30 hours of electives I have already taken. I want to get into the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry and work for a company like Pfizer in a research or business component.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing like combining two saturated degrees into one --->> PharmD + JD

If you want to do research, get a PhD. You can also add an MBA after working for a couple of years. If you want to work as a medical liaison, you don't need a Pharm.D and looks matters greatly. Yeah I know. Life is not fair (for some of you).

The PharmDs I know who are working in the industry are usually (1) very personable; (2) smart (good grades as well); (3) attractive; (4) have leadership experience. They also did a residency or fellowship. I hear starting salary is in the 80-90s k a year. They have the opportunity to earn more if they are successful. However, is it still worth it if you have to borrow 250 k for undergrad/pharmacy school?

I wouldn't commit to a certain career path until I have actual experience. Degrees don't matter as much as you think they do especially now since anyone with a 2.6 GPA can get into a pharmacy school.

I see all of these people adding another degree to their Pharm.D like MBA, public health, regulatory science. They think big pharma would hire them because they have an MBA or the FDA would knock on their door because they have a public health degree or regulatory science degree. Big mistake. These degrees do not mean jack unless you already have experience working in those fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Wow, I actually agree with BMBiology's post.

Yes, for manufacturing/drug design, don't do PharmD. PharmDs in industry that I know do MSL type work/regulatory affairs/drug safety/drug info. Basically they're jobs that have to do with either information or regulation, and not really with actually making the meds.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of the above. Stay away from pharmacy. I'd, if I had a chance to start over.

Reactions: 1 users
Get a job in a pharmacy before committing to any kind of pharmacy program. It doesn't matter what kind of pharmacy - retail, hospital, long-term care (i.e. nursing homes), etc., just have some vague idea what you're getting into before you do it. Chances are, the people you work with will tell you the same thing we will - do something else. It's not the profession it was just a few years ago.

Is pharmacy/CPA a combination option? Never heard of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a job in a pharmacy before committing to any kind of pharmacy program. It doesn't matter what kind of pharmacy - retail, hospital, long-term care (i.e. nursing homes), etc., just have some vague idea what you're getting into before you do it. Chances are, the people you work with will tell you the same thing we will - do something else. It's not the profession it was just a few years ago.

Is pharmacy/CPA a combination option? Never heard of it.

It isnt. I would just be literally double majoring.

second the PhD program - if I had to do it over that is what I would do and I actually like my job

Reactions: 1 user
really? people want to go to school for so many years and with so much debt?

If you want to do research, you need a PhD rather than a PharmD. If you want to be a drug rep, you need to be really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :D

My advice to you is to spend your first year taking classes that sound interesting - you might find a major that you'd never even thought of before. In your spare time, get a job at a pharmacy to give yourself a better understanding of what you'll be getting into if you go this route.

Research in industry - Masters might suffice. PhD is better but takes longer to obtain (typically 4-7 years depending on how motivated you are with your thesis and who your mentor is)
Research in academia - PhD is a must especially if the goal is to be a principal investigator

Medical Liaison in industry - MD, PhD, PharmD, and bunch of other things can work

Research versus Business in industry require different things.

I suggest you go to LinkedIn. Click on a few profiles of people whose job you'd want one day and see their education and background. You can easily find out the steps and timeline that way.

as others have already said, PhD will be your best bet to really be someone whose research matters. everyone does research nowadays but the most respected and cited trials will have or involve a PhD

PhD because OP wants to get into the pharm industry and the PharmD can be used as a back up...

Like I said, why on gods green earth would you do that?! lol

Wow, I actually agree with BMBiology's post.

Yes, for manufacturing/drug design, don't do PharmD. PharmDs in industry that I know do MSL type work/regulatory affairs/drug safety/drug info. Basically they're jobs that have to do with either information or regulation, and not really with actually making the meds.

I wouldn't actually mind that to much, that fits into my skill set.