Help/Advice on Prerequisites and Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future PT 12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a junior this year when school starts back up. I know I still got a while before graduation, but I like to plan ahead for the future. Currently I have a total of 3 prerequisites left I need to take. Those 3 courses are Chem 1, Chem 2, and General Biology. I am a little confused though...

Should I finish all my prerequisites before I graduate, or should I take them after I graduate.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each when it comes to applying to PT school.

I have figured it out and if I want to finish all my prerequisites along with my regular courses it would take me an extra summer semester and a regular semester. After this would I then be able to apply to PT school.

Please help, I don't know what direction to go... :oops:

I forgot to mention... I am majoring in Exercise Science

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ah! It took me a second to think about why you would take your pre-reqs after you graduate then it hit me. You must be a non science major??? In my opinion I would take them before you graduate. And some programs require Bio 2 also.

On the otherhand, I know someone who is a Kineseology major and didn't take Chem 2 until he got accepted into a program

Sorry for the confusion. You are correct, I am not a science major. I am majoring in Exercise Science.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of factors to consider:

Possible pros of taking the classes before graduation:
--Senior status class registration, so you'll actually get into the classes you need (with a diploma you'll be at the bottom of the registration line)
--Possible continued financial aid for summer since you're still an undergraduate
--Finished by next summer and ready to apply!
--If you have student loans they will be deferred over the summer, but if you graduate first then you'll still be taking classes when loan payments come due.

Pros for waiting:
--significantly lower tuition at a community college

Sorry for the confusion. You are correct, I am not a science major. I am majoring in Exercise Science.

WHAT! From what school? Im an exercise science major and Chem 2 and Bio 2 were required to graduate.