Help analyzing my VR problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futbol99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone would just take a few minutes to see how I can improve my VR problem - more specifically my timing.
I'm not new to VR, I've done a fair share of practice, but due to inconsistency and lack of detailed reviewing, I saw minimum progress, so it lead to frustration. However, For the past month, I've been practicing and reviewing more in detail, trying to pick out my strategy. I've improved in the way I actively read and comprehended; relating main points to the main idea, author's tone, key statements, etc. and even answering questions by getting that "feel". I realized this has helped my scores. I used to just try read through as fast as I can then try to answer questions on something I didn't understand at all, and would get 1,2,3/7. Now with understanding the reading process and comprehending more properly, I've been scoring 5,6,7/7 , so not bad. I intend to practice every day as much as I can to hopefully keep at these scores consistently for my May 31 mcat. Anywhere 9+ is great.

My problem is timing now. I've been doing more of TPRH Verbal in the past few days. I find the passages in here hard to keep under 8 mins. In every set of 4 passages, in the past couple days, I tend to spend anywhere between 9 - 12 minutes on passages, therefore using more total time.
I know my biggest problem is speed, but I cant compromise comprehension for it. Also, sometimes I spend too much time per 1 question, afraid to "guess". So after using POE, if I have a 50/50, I'd go back to the passage. Sometimes the questions are way too long to read carefully so takes more time...

So based off that, are there helpful hints and techniques I should consider in the next few weeks while practicing passages to see improvement in my timing and answering Qs efficiently and correctly? My only possible solution I can think of is to do some external reading and practice everyday, but will that eventually pay off? Otherwise, not sure what else I could possibly do to do it properly.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.