Help answering a custom essay please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im applying to VCU and a custom essay they are asking is below. Is there anything special I should know about Virginia?

"Elaborate specifically on your rationale as to why you are seeking a physical therapy education in the commonwealth of Virginia"

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow thanks.....VA has direct access already.........ummm....come to think of it.....I volunteered at an out patient PT setting here in FL and they had direct access too.....hmmm. So whats vision 2020 all about then just to make it a DPT so I would have to spend more money for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find those articles really interesting in the fact that I have now shadowed at 3 clinics under about 6 pt's, and none of the clinics are direct access, and none of the pt's agree that there is direct access here in VA (the APTA one is 3 years old, not sure about the VPTA). Looking online at a couple of other places in Richmond, I found one that stated it had direct access, but when I brought it up with another pt, they said that was impossible. Hopefully someone else here from VA can chime in; maybe there is limited direct access with certian stipulations(?)..I wanted to post b/c I'd hate for you to write an essay for VCU and not be on-point with your info. Maybe look up some places in VA online that state they have direct access, then call to make sure. Good luck with your apps.

I am in NC where there is direct access. I've shadowed a few PTs and they all said that insurance won't cover PT unless referred by a physician and if a patient is self-paid, the PT is limited on what treatments they can do without a referral from a physician. Also, they can't use a TENS unit without a doctor's order. Doesn't seem very direct access to me. Maybe VA is direct access, but with the same type of stipulations as NC.

I am in NC where there is direct access. I've shadowed a few PTs and they all said that insurance won't cover PT unless referred by a physician and if a patient is self-paid, the PT is limited on what treatments they can do without a referral from a physician. Also, they can't use a TENS unit without a doctor's order. Doesn't seem very direct access to me. Maybe VA is direct access, but with the same type of stipulations as NC.

This is commonly quoted as being a lmiting factor to direct access. however, not every insurer requires a physician perscription. In fact, many BCBS plans do not. This is an example of many clinicians ignorance of how third party payment effects direct access.

I find those articles really interesting in the fact that I have now shadowed at 3 clinics under about 6 pt's, and none of the clinics are direct access, and none of the pt's agree that there is direct access here in VA (the APTA one is 3 years old, not sure about the VPTA). Looking online at a couple of other places in Richmond, I found one that stated it had direct access, but when I brought it up with another pt, they said that was impossible. Hopefully someone else here from VA can chime in; maybe there is limited direct access with certian stipulations(?)..

I practiced in VA for over five years and they had direct access for all of that time. The law was changed in 2007. The links I posted earlier highlight those changes. The PT's you have spoken to simply don't know what they are talking about. If you go to the Virginia Physical Therapy Association web site they have a Direct Access Resource Center under the Legislation heading. Check it out for some good info.

http://www.vpta.org/secure/legislative/directaccesshistory.cfm

Well, im not applying to VCU anymore as I will have a 3.02 overall gpa and a pre-req gpa for VCU of 3.07. I dont think I can get in. Being an out-of-state applicant, their website says they accepts about 10-15 applicants per year, from out-of-state. Im pretty sure there are more qualified applicants than me who they can choose from. Im trying to apply smart, apply to places I think I can get in.

JBizzle- Yeah, VCU is a pretty competitive school, but don't give up hope in applying to places. Sounds like you're steering yourself in the right direction by thinking about your options before shelling out dough to out-of-state schools. Also, keep in mind that it is easier to get into private schools; they're more expensive, but in turn this keeps competition lower, and sometimes it seems that they look at the whole picture, not just gpa.

Jesspt- Thanks for clarifying some of that. I think that some of the legislation that gets passed is somewhat confusing to read on paper and can seem circular, as opposed to actually being immersed in it such as yourself. Also wanted to clarify that those pt's were more in disagreement about how open the access really was to patients after this reform, as opposed to pure ignorance of the subject. Some seemed to think that there is still too much red tape to deem it fully accessable. Out of curiosity, were you able to see a fair amount of patients through direct access as provided by their insurance carriers that you speak of? (playing the ignorant card here, as I am only about to start pt school this fall, so am not fully aware of differing plans).