Help! Attend a well-known school or accelerated program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Russ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to a 3-year accelerated program and a well-established, recognized 4-year private school. I am having a hard time deciding.

Once accepted to this accelerated program, you are automatically admitted to the MBA program if you wish to pursue a dual degree. You can also graduate and work a year ahead of most pharmacy students. In addition, they also established a competitive APPE partnership at the Cleveland Clinic.

The traditional pharmacy school is well known and I feel I can have a better chance of finding a job after I graduate. I assume that employers are more drawn to these schools, especially with the saturation of pharmacy schools and recent graduates.

I need your help and honest opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to a 3-year accelerated program and a well-established, recognized 4-year private school. I am having a hard time deciding.

Once accepted to this accelerated program, you are automatically admitted to the MBA program if you wish to pursue a dual degree. You can also graduate and work a year ahead of most pharmacy students. In addition, they also established a competitive APPE partnership at the Cleveland Clinic.

The traditional pharmacy school is well known and I feel I can have a better chance of finding a job after I graduate. I assume that employers are more drawn to these schools, especially with the saturation of pharmacy schools and recent graduates.

I need your help and honest opinions.

At the end, you will have a PharmD. I personally decided to attend the school you are talking about. The 3 years program just because I will graduate a year ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
BIG difference eh?

Just be aware that accelerated programs have a higher attrition rate.

BIG difference eh?

Just be aware that accelerated programs have a higher attrition rate.
Yeah, that makes sense... more stress, but a research study on the school I plan to attend had an average attrition rate of 3%. The accelerated program just seems to be a better fit for me. The name recognition of the other school is giving me doubts on my decision. From pharmacists you encountered, does it matter where they earned their degree?

Last edited:
Good question. You should see if there is a major cost difference.

Yeah, that makes sense... more stress, but a research study on the school I attended had an average attrition rate of 3%. The accelerated program just seems to be a better fit for me. The name recognition of the other school is giving me doubts on my decision. From pharmacists you encountered, does it matter where they earned their degree?
NO. But I want my MBA so I have to go to school during pharmacy school or after to get it. There are many people seeking management positions who are working towards their MBA so I would urge you to do the same if that's your goal.

Good question. You should see if there is a major cost difference.
Did you have to make a similar decision? I see that we might be classmates this fall! :) I'm still waiting for the financial aid packet to see the cost, did you receive anything?

Kind of. What is the other school in question if you don't mind me asking? If its in Hawaii and since you are located in Hawaii I'd recommend you stay and save on living expenses if you are living with your parents.

Yeah, that makes sense... more stress, but a research study on the school I plan to attend had an average attrition rate of 3%. The accelerated program just seems to be a better fit for me. The name recognition of the other school is giving me doubts on my decision. From pharmacists you encountered, does it matter where they earned their degree?

It doesn't matter that much at the moment, but I believe it will matter within 10 years in the future due to the massive over saturation.

Kind of. What is the other school in question if you don't mind me asking? If its in Hawaii and since you are located in Hawaii I'd recommend you stay and save on living expenses if you are living with your parents.
It's Creighton University, but my family actually lives in Nevada. UH was my last choice, so I withdrew my acceptance there. Also, the school is on a different island, so I would have to move anyway.

To those seeking an MBA -

If you have not held a full time professional job with at least project management experience, an MBA does not truly benefit you. What is the point of being overeducated and underqualified for a job? Furthermore, one of the best methods of comprehending and applying the education you receive in your MBA classes is to be able to apply it to your real world job. How exactly does one do that when one has no understanding of the business of their chosen profession?

The last thing one wants to be is a 26 year old with no meaningful work expierence but a doctorate, MBA and bachelors. That is not a positive impression. Why? Because it reflects poorly on oneself - specifically that one has no practical skills but think management is where one belongs. Presumptuous and overestimating self worth indeed!

Reactions: 1 users

If you have not held a full time professional job with at least project management experience, an MBA does not truly benefit you. What is the point of being overeducated and underqualified for a job? Furthermore, one of the best methods of comprehending and applying the education you receive in your MBA classes is to be able to apply it to your real world job. How exactly does one do that when one has no understanding of the business of their chosen profession?

The last thing one wants to be is a 26 year old with no meaningful work expierence but a doctorate, MBA and bachelors. That is not a positive impression. Why? Because it reflects poorly on oneself - specifically that one has no practical skills but think management is where one belongs. Presumptuous and overestimating self worth indeed!
Couple this with the reality that most PharmD jobs don't have much use for an MBA in practical terms.

OP, have an idea of where you'd like to be. Then, consider what is necessary to get there. If clinical or retail pharmacy, MBA not useful without at least a few years of experience and contacts (i.e. director of pharmacy / district manager and higher). It is also not simply about the degree, but the people you meet during your MBA education, so depending on your career goals you may want to hold off.

Also, depending on your interests, 3 yr accelerated program is not necessarily better. Attrition rate is higher, and free time is lower (one less year as a student to shape your resume, less free summers/winters). Less free time means less time for travel, relaxation, work, full time internships (hospital e.g. Johns Hopkins/Mayo, pbm, industry, nontrad - all of which tend to occur in the summer), community service at home and abroad, research etc etc.

Last edited:

My reasoning for pursuing an MBA is to advance my pharmacy management position after pharmacy school. Thankful that I do have project management experience. :)