Help... Challenging Physiology Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcosler2357

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear M.D students
Thank you for your patience/time to look at this thread.
I know this is not supposed to be the tutoring site, but these three physiology problems are just driving me crazy. Any input is appreciated.
Thank you so much.
PLZ help this poor physiology student.

Question 1) Why would it help an emphysema patient by increasing the ventilation rate and increasing the percent of oxygen in the air that patient is breathing?
Question 2) If the patient is suffering from emphysema that has removed 1/4 of the surface area from 1/2 of their alveoli, why would increasing the contraction of the diaphragm and increasing the percent of oxygen in the air that patient is breathing wouldn't help this patient?
Question 3) If the patient has pulmonary edema that has increased the distance between their alveolar space and capillary blood by 40%, why would increasing the contraction of the diaphragm and increasing the percent of oxygen in the air that patient is breathing wouldn't help this patient?
My thoughts on Q1) As far as I understand it, emphysema patients don't have hard time breathing in. They have hard time breathing out. So, why is it necessary to increase the ventilation rate/percent of oxygen in the air that emphysema patients are breathing if they're breathing in ok and get enough oxygen. Clueless on Q2. Again, clueless on Q3
HELP :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.