Help Clarify Aerospace Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KilgoreSnout

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I am interested in aerospace medicine but a lot of the logistics aren't clear on the internet. I see that the programs for both Navy and AF require 1 year of experience following medical school, but some things remain unclear:

-Do you have to be a flight (or dive) surgeon before applying? Do you apply after you complete the tour or during?

-It is mentioned online that at least AF docs who do the residency tend to have another residency as well. Logistically, how does that work? Do you go straight from one to another, or do you have many practicing years in between two residencies?

-How does the assignment / opportunities of a board certified aerospace doc differ from a GMO serving in a flight or dive surgeon role?

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings All,

I am interested in aerospace medicine but a lot of the logistics aren't clear on the internet. I see that the programs for both Navy and AF require 1 year of experience following medical school, but some things remain unclear:

-Do you have to be a flight (or dive) surgeon before applying? Do you apply after you complete the tour or during?

-It is mentioned online that at least AF docs who do the residency tend to have another residency as well. Logistically, how does that work? Do you go straight from one to another, or do you have many practicing years in between two residencies?

-How does the assignment / opportunities of a board certified aerospace doc differ from a GMO serving in a flight or dive surgeon role?
Most here agree that it’s best served as a second residency. Here’s what I’d do: become a FS after your internship of choice. Then do a residency of your choice. If after that time you realize…wow, FS was the best time of my life and I need a way to get access to be a part of that community…consider aerospace.

Can't really speak for AF Program but as far as I know for the Navy Residency in Aerospace Medicine (RAM) Program, you do have to do at least your intern year (1st year Residency), pass your medical board (all 3 steps/levels) and be eligible for or get your medical license by the end of your 1st year.

You don't have to be former FS or UMO, and beginning part of your RAM is the flight surgeon course (to get your wings). In terms of application for RAM, you are competing for a spot with current FSs and people returning from fleet (GMO, UMO, or second residency folks) so you may have lower chance of getting in as your immediate residency out of internship. Not impossible though...

You can do RAM as your first residency assuming you are competitive enough to get accepted right away, otherwise you will do your operational tour then apply as your first residency or you can apply in the future after your traditional medical residency. If you do any residency, Navy will typically require you to practice for few years as obligation in that specialty before you are released to do anything else... probably rare to get two residency back to back without pay back period in between.

GMO,FS, UMO are typically post-internship graduates who have basic medical license to practice general medicine and has no specialty training in any fields. (You can be GMO,FO,UMO etc after your residency training, in which case you will be board certified in your field). RAM has board certification in Occupational Medicine and/or Preventative Medicine typically and will have additional expectation of responsibilities taking care of occupational/prev med clinic where you are assigned in addition to doing the typical FS duty and most often you are assigned more senior role as FS (such as Aircraft Carrier Senior Medical Officer, Regional Senior Flight Surgeon etc). Alot of overlap in terms of basic medicine otherwise.

Again, not exactly sure how AF side works but I would assume pretty similar...