Help Decide between Touro Bayshore and UM Flint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dncr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into Touro Collge Bayshore and University of Michigan Flint. I am confused as to which school to chose because both have their pros and cons.

Touro: I hear the facility is not that great and everything is outdated. I also heard that the faculty is not very helpful. The pass rate is 90.08%

UM-Flint: the city Flint itself is not a good place to stay because of the crime rate. Pass rate is 89.58%

Help me make a decision.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey dncr,

I can only speak to what I know about UM Flint (which is where I'll be attending in the fall). I too had the same concerns until I went to a prospective student day there.

All classes are in a fairly new building right in the heart of campus and it sounds like most students live 10-15min away and carpool every day. It seemed like very few people actually lived downtown flint and pretty much just came down for class.

They claimed their pass rates the last three years were 100, 97, and 100 so I'm not sure who to believe about that.

I was very impressed with the faculty. They all seemed very friendly and I got the impression they genuinely cared about the students. In addition, all the students I interacted with were very happy with the program.

Hope that helps and good luck deciding!

I know nothing about PT, but I did do my undergrad in Flint (Kettering). It is a rough city. I know a few people who were robbed (some armed robberies), and many of my friends had their cars and homes/apartments broken into. I went to school there 9-12 years ago, and Flint has only climbed in the "most dangerous cities" rankings. There's not a whole lot to do in Flint, but it isn't that far from the suburbs of Detroit, Lansing, and Ann Arbor. Michigan roads suck as a general rule, and the winters are very gray.*

That being said, I was never a victim of crime myself. There are parts of Flint that are pretty cool, there are some nice little municipal golf courses, museums, and coffee shops/restaurants. The city is working to remake itself as an academic center so I'm sure the focus on safety on the campuses is really high lately. The speed limit is generous, and the summer weather is usually pretty awesome. Cost of living is very low.

Living in Flint was good for me; I came from rural Minnesota and it definitely expanded my horizons. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would choose to go there again if I had another relatively equivalent option, though.

*I've lived most of my life in the Midwest, in 5 states from Kentucky to northern Minnesota. Michigan's temps aren't too bad, and the winters aren't all that harsh, but it is so very gloomy in the winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that I heard terrible things about Touro's program from forums and from people in the PT field. Flint's program is rated much higher and I also heard that the pass rate is higher then reported. As far a Flint as a city, I heard that the school is in a good part of Flint which is downtown. Good luck.

I would not advise touro. you should read the other forums that talk about the staff, facilities and teaching styles at touro. I am not sure about flint, but my personal experience with faculty at touro has been beyond unacceptable. At the end of the day, your decision is based on how you feel about the school that you will be spending the next three years at. visit both, read what students have to say about each one, then make your decision.
good luck!