Help deciding Direct Admit Med School Option

DocStudent-IL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior. I am sure that I want to be a doctor. I applied to various program that guarantee a seat in medical school. I have gotten accepted to following four programs. I live in Chicago suburbs. Any advice on choosing between these programs would be great.

• UMKC - 6 year program

No Mcat needed

• Neomed - 6 year program

Need MCAT but low score requirement

• University of Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholar Program – 8 year program

I can apply to other med schools after undergrad. Need average GPA and MCAT of last year’s class

• IIT/Midwest BS/DO program - 8 year program

I can apply to other med schools after undergrad. Need average GPA and MCAT of last year’s class. DO program as opposed to other three being MD programs.

Thanks for everyone’s advice and help.

Members don't see this ad.

My main question - which one is best medical school between UMKC, NEOMED, University of Oklahoma, and Midwestern University?

holy crap....MD admission with no crazy gpa req and no mcat req at all? PLEASE consider umkc...getting in guaranteed is a big deal and you save two years of undergrad tuition, no restriction on specialty after med school

people would eat a poop hotdog to get an admission and you can lock one in as a 18yr old.....take the guarantee

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a high school senior. I am sure that I want to be a doctor. I applied to various program that guarantee a seat in medical school. I have gotten accepted to following four programs. I live in Chicago suburbs. Any advice on choosing between these programs would be great.

• UMKC - 6 year program

No Mcat needed

• Neomed - 6 year program

Need MCAT but low score requirement

• University of Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholar Program – 8 year program

I can apply to other med schools after undergrad. Need average GPA and MCAT of last year’s class

• IIT/Midwest BS/DO program - 8 year program

I can apply to other med schools after undergrad. Need average GPA and MCAT of last year’s class. DO program as opposed to other three being MD programs.

Thanks for everyone’s advice and help.

Wow, the only ranked medical school is Oklahoma. The others are unranked (a.k.a. low tier) medical schools. What is the financial picture? Loans? Parents forking over full amount?

You need to look how the UMKC program is set up and the curriculum. It is not just simply undergrad for a few years with guaranteed medical school admission. It is year around for 6 years and heavy semester loads. I know many people who took 7 or 8 years to complete the program. Also, ones from my medical school who took the Kaplan course for step 1 said there were a lot of UMKC students having to take the course because they failed it.

You need to look how the UMKC program is set up and the curriculum. It is not just simply undergrad for a few years with guaranteed medical school admission. It is year around for 6 years and heavy semester loads. I know many people who took 7 or 8 years to complete the program. Also, ones from my medical school who took the Kaplan course for step 1 said there were a lot of UMKC students having to take the course because they failed it.

Agree 100%. Shadowed a surgeon once and the surgeon introduced me to his colleague that graduated from the UMKC 6 year program and he said it was hell. I mean say goodbye to life outside of school, its 6 years of straight school, including summer. If you don't burn out, then you are doctor material. But hey, no MCAT required right? Weigh everything out, you wouldn't want to go there 1 semester and then leave cause its not your type.

Well I'm on a similar boat as you except I committed to IIT's BS/DO with Midwestern University. I was admitted to some of my top colleges, and some very great BS/MD programs as well but they were the 6 and 7 year programs which I deemed too much for me. I don't want to end up living in the library and burning myself out before I would burn myself out again during medical school.

Plus I realized that college life is a one in a lifetime thing, who cares about that extra 2 years? Sure you'll begin paying off your debts early, but thats also 2 years of fun you might have missed. I personally have plans of what non-medically related activities I wanted to do, so it became a clear choice to me. I would still have a guaranteed acceptance, with moderate requirements but I would be given so much more flexibility to study what I want and to do what I wanted.