Help Deciding: DMU vs. TouroCOM-Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhg85

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an incoming DO student who was recently accepted to both DMU and TouroCOM-Harlem. I was wondering if I could get some insight on the two programs and suggestions as to which program would be the best to pursue. As a background, I am a MA-native, and during interview season, Touro was my favorite program - the interview team and student ambassador made the school sound so welcoming and exciting. But I want to make a pros and cons list before solidifying my decision.

TouroCOM - pros
- Close to home/family
- Loved the program based on the interview (faculty was warm and inviting)
- I want to practice urban ER medicine, and this would be a good place to have early experience with this field
- Their match list looks competitive

ToucoCOM - cons
- Very expensive
- Campus may not have the same amenities (large sim lab, lecture halls, etc.)
- Newer campus? (not sure if this impacts the educational experience)

DMU - pros
- Long legacy in DO community
- Great resources on campus (sim lab, surgery practice in 2nd year)
- Affordable

DM - cons
- Far from home
- Third year rotations skew towards rural care
- I wasn't as excited about their 2021 matches

My big takeaway is that DMU is an established school among DOs, and I'm worried I'd be missing out on networking, residency, professional opportunities, etc. by choosing a newer school. Also, if there is anything I've incorrectly attributed to a school (ex: if Touro also offers surgery skills practice) please feel free to correct me!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Touro NY had some serious issues a while back (clicker attendance/flipped classroom, very low COMLEX Level 2 scores, losing rotations, the admissions scandal), not sure if these are resolved.

I'd be inclined to choose DMU, they will also have a super nice new campus by the time you are a second year. The only glaring con I've heard with DMU is that you're on your own for 4th year.

Both schools have a traditional curriculum. And to answer your question, DMU has a surgical suite (I think the main purpose may be for the podiatry students?)

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are from NYC and can commute to Touro Harlem from home, I would highly recommend attending DMU. Living in NYC is really tough and not for everyone. Post COVID, things have changed, and I think location plays a significant role on our medical school experience. If you are a New Yorker/went to college in NYC, then ignore the aforementioned thoughts.

The other thing I would really look into is if classes/lectures are mandatory attendance at DMU. Touro Harlem will be doing clickers in person next year, and I think clickers are not really for everyone. At least, they weren't for me. They take a lot of extra time that you could spend studying from lectures on your own. Also, Touro Harlem's campus is really mainly two floors with lecture halls on the second floor. You will share the building with pharmacy students, so they will be competing with you for study space. Plus, COL is very high in NYC and the apartments nearby are not really in a safe neighborhood.

I would choose DMU in a heart beat! You can also fly to NYC and visit to scout the area and try to make a decision for yourself.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am an incoming DO student who was recently accepted to both DMU and TouroCOM-Harlem. I was wondering if I could get some insight on the two programs and suggestions as to which program would be the best to pursue. As a background, I am a MA-native, and during interview season, Touro was my favorite program - the interview team and student ambassador made the school sound so welcoming and exciting. But I want to make a pros and cons list before solidifying my decision.

TouroCOM - pros
- Close to home/family
- Loved the program based on the interview (faculty was warm and inviting)
- I want to practice urban ER medicine, and this would be a good place to have early experience with this field
- Their match list looks competitive

ToucoCOM - cons
- Very expensive
- Campus may not have the same amenities (large sim lab, lecture halls, etc.)
- Newer campus? (not sure if this impacts the educational experience)

DMU - pros
- Long legacy in DO community
- Great resources on campus (sim lab, surgery practice in 2nd year)
- Affordable

DM - cons
- Far from home
- Third year rotations skew towards rural care
- I wasn't as excited about their 2021 matches

My big takeaway is that DMU is an established school among DOs, and I'm worried I'd be missing out on networking, residency, professional opportunities, etc. by choosing a newer school. Also, if there is anything I've incorrectly attributed to a school (ex: if Touro also offers surgery skills practice) please feel free to correct me!

Thanks in advance!
Touro NY has cleaned up their act.

Pick the cheapest school

Unless you are from NYC and can commute to Touro Harlem from home, I would highly recommend attending DMU. I did my Master's at Touro Harlem and believe the faculty are amazing, but living in NYC is really tough and not for everyone. Post COVID, things have changed, and I think location plays a significant role on our medical school experience. If you are a New Yorker/went to college in NYC, then ignore the aforementioned thoughts.

The other thing I would really look into is if classes/lectures are mandatory attendance at DMU. Touro Harlem will be doing clickers in person next year, and I think clickers are not really for everyone. At least, they weren't for me. They take a lot of extra time that you could spend studying from lectures on your own. Also, Touro Harlem's campus is really mainly two floors with lecture halls on the second floor. You will share the building with pharmacy students, so they will be competing with you for study space. Plus, COL is very high in NYC and the apartments nearby are not really in a safe neighborhood.

I would choose DMU in a heart beat! You can also fly to NYC and visit to scout the area and try to make a decision for yourself.
Thank you! I’m not a NYC student and their campus vs the amenities of DMU have definitely swayed me!

Touro NY had some serious issues a while back (clicker attendance/flipped classroom, very low COMLEX Level 2 scores, losing rotations, the admissions scandal), not sure if these are resolved.

I'd be inclined to choose DMU, they will also have a super nice new campus by the time you are a second year. The only glaring con I've heard with DMU is that you're on your own for 4th year.

Both schools have a traditional curriculum. And to answer your question, DMU has a surgical suite (I think the main purpose may be for the podiatry students?)
Thank you! From my understanding 4th year is generally up to the students, is DMU especially hands off?

Touro NY has cleaned up their act.

Pick the cheapest school
Thank you! It’s encouraging to know things have gotten better - I’ve seen some threads on here and comments of yours that really alarmed me and made me pause in my decision.

Also consider:
what do you like better: NY deli and pizza, or casseroles?
Definitely pizza, but I think that during med school we probably won’t be going out much 😁

I think you are making the right decision :) With Step 1 moving pass fail, the fact that DMU has more research opportunities and is well-established overall is going to be rather helpful when you apply for residency.
Students did rather well this year with respect to matching at Touro mainly because the students at Touro are really hardworking and the faculty changed their approach towards Step 2/Comlex 2. Fischer wrote the Boards book that many folks use, so he had some input in that change in outcomes at Touro. The match list is important but look at the bigger picture in terms of opportunities, competition, day to day life (you won't have mandatory attendance at DMU), and just the fact that lifestyle in NYC is tough. NYC has some phenomenal schools (i.e., columbia, nyu, icahn etc.) so Touro students get overlooked. Also, DO's are better respected in the midwest than in NYC, in my humble opinion. So these are all factors to think about.

Don't get me wrong. I have immense respect for the students at Touro COM NY and the faculty there. I just think that location/campus/amenities/resources/day-day life should be considerations as well. Also, you will have trouble with rotations in most DO schools, unfortunately. I highly recommend visiting Touro NYC/DMU to get a feel for where you can see yourself living.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
1622855830448.png
1622855958075.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users