Help: DO acceptance vs Gap year research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mediscene

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically what the title says. I know this is a contentious topic, so I wanna clarify my situation a bit:

- 20-21 applicant, applied to both MD and DO schools because of my average stats
- Yes, I applied DO because I want to be a doctor (don't really care about prestige + interested in IM/FM/PM&R so I was happy to receive my DO acceptances)
- PROBLEM is, my entire family lives abroad. I am a legal citizen and have been living in Cali for the past 10 years to establish an opportunity to invite my parents/fam, but the rest of my family are still non-citizens and are living abroad. And I found out a few days ago that my paperwork to get my parents+siblings legal US residency fell through... (tmi I know, but I thought it'd be important to disclose)
- And my family's home country does not recognize DO as a medical dregree.
- This scares me - I'm afraid to commit years to a degree that might limit me from working near family in 10 years' time

Current situation:
- I recently got accepted into 2 oldest private DO schools
- I was recently offered a clinical research coordinator position at Boston in a pretty renowned academic hospital... If I take the job (I need to reply by the end of the year), I will need to decline the DO school acceptance as the expected committment is 1+ years
- I applied to MD schools but realistically speaking, don't think I will get in this year.*
*I have a 510 mcat, 3.6 gpa from UC Berkeley, am a norcal resident with decent activities/leaderships/work experience/public health research/poster presentation. Took 1 gap year doing basic research. But I still have lower stats than the average in the 20, mostly "low-tier," CA/private MD schools I applied to this year

SO... I have 2 major questions in mind moving forward (mainly looking for insights from physicians/med students):
- Among the medical community, is location/prestige of one's residency a bigger deal than that of one's medical school instutition/degree (MD vs DO)? If yes, do you think DOs have a good chance of matching into a 'internationally well-known' residency programs even after the step 1 P/F change and the ACGME AOA merger moving forward?
I ask bc if so, I'm thinking of taking the risk of going DO -> matching into a good residency -> taking another medical licensure exam at my parents' country -> opening opportunities to practicing both in the US and abroad

- Would a research position (maybe an opportunity to publish but not guaranteed) at a renowned institute + a higher MCAT score help with next year's MD application in my case, or is it too big of a risk? I do have fap/access to aamc resources for free until 2021, and with covid stipend + savings, think I can manage to dedicate some time studying for the mcat to take it the 2nd time and do well (I should be able to improve, maybe 512-515 realistically speaking)

I'd appreciate honest answers. Thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
oh I don't know. a higher MCAT may or may not happen. I think if you talk to your family and explain the difficulties an acceptance is in the US, they'll understand you going forward with the DO acceptance.

although the question to ask first is where do you want study and practice. good luck

Basically what the title says. I know this is a contentious topic, so I wanna clarify my situation a bit:

- 20-21 applicant, applied to both MD and DO schools because of my average stats
- Yes, I applied DO because I want to be a doctor (don't really care about prestige + interested in IM/FM/PM&R so I was happy to receive my DO acceptances)
- PROBLEM is, my entire family lives abroad. I am a legal citizen and have been living in Cali for the past 10 years to establish an opportunity to invite my parents/fam, but the rest of my family are still non-citizens and are living abroad. And I found out a few days ago that my paperwork to get my parents+siblings legal US residency fell through... (tmi I know, but I thought it'd be important to disclose)
- This scares me - I'm afraid to commit years to a degree that might limit me from working near family in 10 years' time

Current situation:
- I was recently offered a clinical research coordinator position at Boston in a pretty renowned academic hospital... If I take the job (I need to reply by the end of the year), I will need to decline the DO school acceptance as the expected committment is 1+ years
- I applied to MD schools but realistically speaking, don't think I will get in this year.*
*I have a 510 mcat, 3.6 gpa from UC Berkeley, am a norcal resident with decent activities/leaderships/work experience/public health research/poster presentation. Took 1 gap year doing basic research. But I still have lower stats than the average in the 20, mostly "low-tier," CA/private MD schools I applied to this year

SO... I have 2 major questions in mind moving forward (mainly looking for insights from physicians/med students):
- Among the medical community, is location/prestige of one's residency a bigger deal than that of one's medical school instutition/degree (MD vs DO)? If yes, do you think DOs have a good chance of matching into a 'internationally well-known' residency programs even after the step 1 P/F change and the ACGME AOA merger moving forward?
I ask bc if so, I'm thinking of taking the risk of going DO -> matching into a good residency -> taking another medical licensure exam at my parents' country -> opening opportunities to practicing both in the US and abroad

- Would a research position (maybe an opportunity to publish but not guaranteed) at a renowned institute + a higher MCAT score help with next year's MD application in my case, or is it too big of a risk? I do have fap/access to aamc resources for free until 2021, and with covid stipend + savings, think I can manage to dedicate some time studying for the mcat to take it the 2nd time and do well (I should be able to improve, maybe 512-515 realistically speaking)

As a doctor, you'll make lots of money enough so that you can visit your family, or pay for them to visit you here for prolonged stays.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You won’t be an attending for 7-10+ years. Definitely possible that the country could recognize DOs with full practice rights by that time. If not, Goro’s advice is sound. You will have money to visit.

one bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Take the acceptance

Reactions: 3 users
You’ll also make enough money as a doctor to hire an immigration attorney for your family members, which can result in greater success than trying to navigate the paperwork without one.

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately with your stats there is a very real chance you don’t get an MD acceptance regardless of what you do. If you were a 3.9/520 applicant it would be different, but in this case I would take the DO and run with it.

Reactions: 1 users

Current situation:

I'd go for the DO.

Take the DO acceptance. Getting into any medical school at all is a massive accomplishment. It would be a shame to deny it and then not get any MD acceptances, which with your stats is a very real possibility.

Update: I've officially declined the job offer, and will be choosing one of the DO acceptances. Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate it.

On a separate note, what should prospective students look for when choosing schools?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Update: I've officially declined the job offer, and will be choosing one of the DO acceptances. Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate it.

On a separate note, what should prospective students look for when choosing schools? I'm trying to decide among kcu, dmu and western. Have been reading other posts too but still in a dilemma
While I won't say anything particular about these schools, in general: consider the location of each school, rotation placements, residency placement for each school, board pass rates, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Those three schools are all roughly the same. Pick the place you’d rather live.

3.4 cGPA 3.7sgpa 510 MCAT I applied last year with presentations and first-authored publications I didn't get into MD school

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure I know of any internationally known FM or PM&R residencies. As a DO, you should be fine to match in decent residencies like you mentioned. I think you made the right choice. Good luck and best wishes!

Congratulations!!! You are a UCB graduate which means they prepared you very well and you gonna do great in any school you go to. You done the right choice by choosing DO this year which will bring you one year of salary of $200k+ On the other hand if you had declined DO acceptance and try to apply MD but no guaranty to get an MD acceptance. Your loved ones will be with you soon once covid-19 goes away. All the best!!!

Reactions: 2 users
current MS4 at DO school, as much as getting into any residency program may be easier as a MD, in 4 years that will continue to change especially given your interests and continuation of ACGME AOA merger for residencies I would say take the acceptance. If you wanted surgery or competitive subspecialty id still likely say take acceptance and work your ass off in school because that is more of an uphill battle for us in the current climate.

True and true. Probably will talk to them this weekend. For now, I'd be happy to study at a DO school and practice in various parts of the U.S. (maybe other than Alaska or Utah, no offense to anyone there). Thank you!

This is actually really helpful and insightful. Idk why this didn't occur to me. Thanks!!

Right - makes a lot of sense too, given there's a lot of time between now and when I can practice. Money does open opportunities as well, even if the DO recognition doesn't happen in my family's country. Very sound advice...!

I'll most likely take the acceptance as everyone has advised here. This has actually been very helpful. Thanks all!!
lol, that's kinda random......what's your beef with Utah?

lol, that's kinda random......what's your beef with Utah?
No beef, just that the 5 people I know from/in Utah are all very religious and conservative. I'm not yet really keen on becoming very religious or talking about religion, and other than those 5 friends idk anyone from Utah, so not sure if I'll have a strong/comfortable support system there

No beef, just that the 5 people I know from/in Utah are all very religious and conservative. I'm not yet really keen on becoming very religious or talking about religion, and other than those 5 friends idk anyone from Utah, so not sure if I'll have a strong/comfortable support system there
Understandable. So more the religious aspect rather than the conservative aspect? Because other states are a lot more conservative than Utah. Religion can be very tricky though.

Salt Lake City is very different from the rest of the state. The city is pretty liberal. If you lived in Utah county that’s a different story.

3.4 cGPA 3.7sgpa 510 MCAT I applied last year with presentations and first-authored publications I didn't get into MD school
I don't mean to continue beating this finished thread - and I congratulate the OP as another incoming OMS-1 - but it's crazy to me that those qualifications (which are perfectly good in my opinion) are no longer good enough to get into an MD school.

I don't mean to continue beating this finished thread - and I congratulate the OP as another incoming OMS-1 - but it's crazy to me that those qualifications (which are perfectly good in my opinion) are no longer good enough to get into an MD school.

That all depends on where the applicant is from, what their list looked like, how well they interviewed, any potential red flags, etc. Those stats theoretically could get an applicant into multiple MD schools, but maybe they were limited by geography or some other undisclosed factor.