HELP: Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rustyP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I have any chance for Med school.

I was a student/athlete in college and graduated with a BS in biology. At that time I was young, immature, and had no idea what I wanted to do so I spent a bit more time partying than studying like I should have. I graduated with a horrible GPA of 2.5. I will say that since then I have done a lot better with a post-undergrad GPA of 3.7 (including science and nursing school courses).

I entered nursing school because I thought I had no chance with Med school. But I decided I want to pursue what I really want. Will they at least take a look at my application provided that I have an mcat >30? Or will they see my undergrad GPA and throw it in the trash? So with a good post-undergrad GPA, nursing experience, being a student athlete, and also being a professional volleyball player in Europe help me at all with getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

The volleyball thing will be good interview convo and will slightly help. It is your whole app they are looking at.

First of all, what is your AACOMAS cgpa and sgpa? Your chance at MD is shot with that gpa but DO is still possible. If your cgpa or sgpa is below 3.0 you are going to have to do some gpa repair before applying. That is usually an automatic rejection.

Research time! There are indeed schools out there that look at strong post-bac perfromance and weight it higher than a miserable uGPA. The key is to find them. I beleive that Drexel, Tulane, SUNY-Upstate, Tufts, and NYMC are a few. best to call some Admissions deans and ask if you're competitive.

You'll have much better luck with DO programs, too.

I am wondering if I have any chance for Med school.

I was a student/athlete in college and graduated with a BS in biology. At that time I was young, immature, and had no idea what I wanted to do so I spent a bit more time partying than studying like I should have. I graduated with a horrible GPA of 2.5. I will say that since then I have done a lot better with a post-undergrad GPA of 3.7 (including science and nursing school courses).

I entered nursing school because I thought I had no chance with Med school. But I decided I want to pursue what I really want. Will they at least take a look at my application provided that I have an mcat >30? Or will they see my undergrad GPA and throw it in the trash? So with a good post-undergrad GPA, nursing experience, being a student athlete, and also being a professional volleyball player in Europe help me at all with getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I most definitely plan on re-taking some of my sciences courses I took as an undergrad. I honestly think that no matter how many courses I take now to help my GPA, I still will not have a decent looking cGPA. Right now it is at like a 2.7 or 2.8. Which is really sad because my post-grad cGPA is 3.75 and sGPA is 3.8. It is very discouraging to know that my undergrad years screwed me over, especially because I didn't even know I was screwing myself over at that time. Also, is it true that all medical schools count both grades when you re-take a course? Is my only chance of medical school getting a miracle mcat score of >40?

I don't think you are in as bad of a shape as you think you are. If you can get your gpa up to around 3.0-3.3 and manage to get 32-35 on the mcat, I think you would be a near lock at DO schools and stand a respectable chance at some lower tier MD schools. Just get ready to explain you abysmal undergrad gpa if you manage to get some interviews.

DO schools. If your post-bac work continues to be strong and you pull those AACOMAS GPAs (hint: grade replacement) up over 3.1 or 3.2 and score above 28 on the MCAT you can probably get into some DO schools. They tend to be quite receptive to such turn-arounds.