Help! Failed PTCB Exam...TWICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnifiedField

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal.

I took PTC exam twice and failed...TWICE! I studied the whole summer of 2008, from May-June (failed), then again July-September (failed). I do not have a job and I did not enroll in ANY summer classes whatsoever--I dedicated my whole time this summer for this PTC exam. I could have atleast taken a pre-req this summer to get that out of they way instead of wasting my whole summer failing PTC exams.
I memorized half of the 200 common drug names, memorized all of the conversion factors, as well as all of the common abbreviations.
I practiced calculating DEA numbers, and pharmaceutical calculations & memorized all the laws.

I used three books (APA's The Pharmacy Technician work and workbook by Perspective Press, and The Pharmacy Certification Quick Study Guide by Susan Moss Marks/William A. Hopkins, Jr.) After one month of studying the first time, I took the practice exam provided for me in the workbook and did very well (I only missed 14 questions). The second time around, I took the practice exam in the Quick Study book (Chapter 12 Practice Questions) and did well again (missed 11 questions).

I scored a 634 the first time (650 being a passing score). I am unsure what I got for the second time...scores have not been mailed to me yet.

I am a pre-pharmacy student, 20 years old, Junior in college now (OChemI being one of my classes), ...Not that any of this matters, but I am just letting you all know where I stand in the academic world. I spent $129 each time I took this exam...yeah and mind you, I do not have a job. I had to beg around for the money EACH time...

Yeah, yeah, I know if I get hired as a Pharm Tech without a Certificate at CVS or something, they will pay for my exam...EXCEPT that they need me to work a minimum of 6 months just so they'll pay it! I know you all are probably saying, well what is the point then, just go work as a volunteer there or a Pharm Tech without a Certificate making $6-7 dollars an hour (and I guess I will have to do that this winterbreak), but I personally, would really LOVE to be certified to get the most out of my pharmacy experience.

All I wanted was some exposure/experience in a pharmacy, to get to know some pharmacists in my community & of course, pay off my $260 spent on taking the exam! Pharmacy schools would like you to have some job experience in a Pharmacy setting, and a LOR from a pharmacist is excellent.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I honestly feel very dumb. Is there any way I could get the exact copy of the exam I took on the computer, with my answers and what the correct answers are? The mail letter only tells me which areas I should focus on. I got a 775 for the "Participating in the Administration and Management of Pharmacy Practice," and two low scores (616 and 605) on the "Assist Pharmacist... " and Maintain Medication/Inventory," respectively.
When I took it the second time, I really focused on those two that I got the low scores in but still failed...Do I need more time to study for this exam? Should I just quit trying be certified altogether? School has already started & I just don't have time to study again now...I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
moved to licensure & exams.

Any idea what area you did poorly?
My PTCE was primarily math with a little naming and law mixed in.
Since I'm pretty good at math and had just finished a semester of pharmacy math, I passed first time no problem. It sounds like you did sufficient studying, but did you have enough time to go back and check your work. When I took it, you had the ability to skip questions and come back to them later. Anything I couldn't get or at least wasn't sure how to go about in the first 15 seconds after reading I skipped and came back to so I knew I wouldn't run out of time at the end. There were about 6 questions (mainly the law ones) I went back to finish. I think I passed with a 735.

Thank you for your quick response Farmercyst.

Yes, I actually did poorly on the "Assist Pharmacist in Serving Patients" section and "Maintain Medication and Inventory Control Systems." I got a 616 and 605 on those two sections, respectively, the first time. I still have not received my scores for the second time I took it, so I'll have to wait & see what I got for those.

Is the math ("calculations") section called "Administration and Management for Pharmacy Practice?" That's what my PTCE quick study guide has the math section under. Well, I received a 775 in that section.

The first time I took it, I finished just in time. I really had no time at all to check my work.
The second time I took it, I had about 15-20 minutes to go back and check the ones I was a little unsure about. I had about 3 math problems that I skipped (after about 10 seconds of pondering on them) and went back to work on those. I did not get a chance to check my "non-math" problem questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Unified, I just took the exam September 20th. I just want to tell you to go into the test with confidence, do not be afraid of that test, it's nothing to be afraid of. I recommend knowing conversion factors for grams to pounds to ounces to teaspoons to tablespoons to milliliters etc. That played a big part on the test I took. I did not study the conversion factors lol so I walked into the test and was somewhat overwhelmed with that part, but I figured it out using my chemistry skills that I learned when I was an undergrad. I passed the exam although I do not know my exact score as of yet because they haven't sent the score. I made sure that if I didn't know the question, I skipped it and marked it so I could go back later. You should never really second guess yourself either. As I start remembering questions I'll come back and post what I remember and I'll post the title of the book I used to study.

The book I used was Mosby's Review for the PTCB Certification Examination. I didn't completely read the whole book to be truthful. I read over Chapter 2 as much as I could. I went over the different disease states and the medication used to treat them. Know the abbreviations for Time of Administration, for instance bid= twice per day, qid= four times a day, qod=every other day, q4h= every 4 hours. I also had to know some abbreviations for medications for example APAP is acetaminophen.

Thanks Nicoled :)

Yes, I actually have that book too (The Mosby's Review) but I focused mainly on the three that I listed above, they were more detailed than Mosby's. But, I guess Mosby might be better if you passed with it.

I actually did not have a lot of problems with the math...I scored a 775 in that section I believe the first time. I had already memorized all the abbreviations and most of the conversion factors. There was three math questions the second time that tripped me up...something about oz to ----? Not sure (I forgot), but overall, I didnt seem to have problems with it. Atleast I don't think I did, but I failed so who knows what I know.

Hmm, maybe I went into both tests with too much confidence. Both times, I was very calm and relaxed. I had slept early the night before so that I won't be :sleep: while taking the test, haha. I guess I need to be more nervous and afraid of it to pass it! :( Dunno.

ehh, I would study off and on for like a month and a half. I wouldn't say I studied that much at all. I just graduated with a degree in biological sciences from UC Irvine so I took a lot of science classes and even took a pharmacotherapy class my last semester so I learned a little bit from that. I'm sure you'll pass it the next time you take it!

Thanks for the support.

I am def. going to stick with "Mosby's Review for the PTCB!" This purple book by the APA sucks! Looking at Mosby's, I realized I actually got a 775 on the 11% section...not the math...

I've already taken Gen chem 1 & 2, Bio 1 and 2, college algebra through calculus2 in college...I thought that would be enough for me to pass it.
Not sure what is up with me.

Thanks for the support.

I am def. going to stick with "Mosby's Review for the PTCB!" This purple book by the APA sucks! Looking at Mosby's, I realized I actually got a 775 on the 11% section...not the math...

I've already taken Gen chem 1 & 2, Bio 1 and 2, college algebra through calculus2 in college...I thought that would be enough for me to pass it.
Not sure what is up with me.

dude did you study all this by yourself?

I took a class which helped prepare my PTCB and passed it first try. Also, this is my first year in UC denver and currently taking intro to chemistry class and the ptcb had nothing to do with the chemistry except the conversion part but in chemistry we use the dementional analysis not the same formula that we use in pharmacies to calculate conversions (g,kg,mL,L...etc)

So, if you need some help, just enroll for a class in a private school or take one of those practice ptcb exams or look in my blog, I have the general info on what is going to be on the exam.

Dude? Thanks for the information!
Yes, I did. But apparently, that was not too bright of an idea :)
Did you just come out of high school and take that PTCB class?
Hmm, how much did you have to pay for the classes?
Are they at comm. colleges? Do they all start at like the beginning of the semester(...August/September)?
That would be too late for me now.

Last edited:
There's no need to take classes, it'll be a waste of money! Just study again and you'll pass!

Members don't see this ad :)
i got that you don't want to start working until you get certified, but working in a retail store can help with learning the law, brand/generic, assisting pharmacists, maintaining inventory parts and working in hosp can help with calculations. either way, work experience won't hurt you at this point.

Haha, yes, it does take a while for those exam results to get back to you.

Thanks for the advice jetblack.
A friend referred me at CVS and I applied for a PSA position. Hope I get hired. I don't believe it'll benefit me too much though to become certified. The Pharmacist I spoke with explained to me that it is a great experience but will not get you ready for the Pharm Tech exam. I'll be studying again for the January exam and if the PSA job helps me, then great! If not, then I'll still gain some pharmacy experience which is always a plus, in my opinion. :)

Has anyone ever had a PSA job before (the job they give you if you are not a certified Pharmacy Technician)?
If so, how were your experiences with it? Job satisfaction?
I am currently a university student (UT Dallas), and my number one priority is gaining knowledge, learning, and keeping up with my grades. Would you all think that a part-time PSA job is worth the experience (since I have none) and is it honestly a very demanding job that would not allow me to keep up with my grades??

First thing first: GET A JOB! Working in a pharmacy is really the way to learn most of that information, using the books as a reference for other types of pharmacy that you don't work in. Also, job = money + experience. Having your certification before you get hired may actually hurt you. My job chose me over two certified applicants because my boss was tired of people who think they know everything. She saw me as a clean slate that she could train the way she wanted.

I am studying for my exam right now. I am already a pharmacy tech. It's all pretty straightforward, just need to review hospital since I work in retail. Also practice the math so you can be quick and accurate.

I love my job. I look forward to earning my certification so I can get a raise. That is pretty much all it does. All pharm techs do the same job regardless of certification. I would say don't even bother taking it again until you get some experience in a real pharmacy. It is not as important as you are making it out to be.

Thanks for all the advice guys, finally passed lol in october 2010.

oh btw I did not get a raise when I got my certificate, and yes it is VERY important to have your license because you can't work in a pharmacy if you are not licensed (after 2 years of being a Pharmacy Service Associate):)

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a business student but I want to take teh PTCB exam for a good money making summer job. How crazy am I? What are some good books i should buy? and what does the exam consist of???

You're better off taking a pharm tech class at this point since some of the classes are taught by pharmacy recruiters/district supervisors - it's hard to get yourself into a pharmacy for work now, unless you already have hookups. That aside, I'd maybe try getting the APhA pharm tech prep book, not that I'd know for sure since it's been years since I took the exam and it might've changed by now.

From what I remember: make sure you're good with unit conversions, math and reading sig codes.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a business student but I want to take teh PTCB exam for a good money making summer job. How crazy am I? What are some good books i should buy? and what does the exam consist of???

(Disclaimer: I took this back in 2007, so... things may have changed.)

Personally, I think a PTCB review book alone should be enough for most people. I know that some people take classes, but I've always considered those more for people who have problems with studying books and need the added help of a structured environment.

There are a lot of review books that should do the trick. I've heard several people suggest APhA's "Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by Posey. I used "Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review" and did fine. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the review books on Amazon.

As for content, much of the PTCB exam has a lot of questions on laws and procedure.. I also remember a bit of math, basic algebra, and unit conversions. You'll want to know both metric and customary conversions (ie: ounces to mL, or whatnot). The algebra doesn't get far past cross-division.

There were also drug names on the exam, but honestly, you can probably guess your way those questions so as long as you do well on the other questions. I remember stumbling through drug name questions, and it didn't dent my exam score. Drug names should be the last thing that you study.

I hope this helps!

--Garfield3d

Hello, If anyone is struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt! Contact me I can help [email protected]