PhD/PsyD Help figure out this program please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigi1913

Reaction score
There is a program I applied to that has been working their acceptance offers a little different than other programs that I have dealt with and I was hoping to get other peoples advice and opinions on what is going on with this program.
This specific program has been offering acceptances to people 1 by 1 on random days for the last month and a half. They originally had 4 interview days and have been calling applicants back off the "interview waitlist" and offering them acceptances. I thought my interview went well and I have been in contact with my POI who told me he hopes I decide to come there. Despite the positive feedback, I still have not heard from the program. I tried emailing the program director and her assistants but no one has responded. Since the decision date is a week away, I'm not sure if I should consider this a rejection.?

Also, in the past I noticed some applicants were being accepted into the program very late. For example, one applicant was called back in late July and was asked if they would like a spot for the program that started in a few weeks. When I attended the interview and spoke to current students, a few told me about how low they were on the waitlist and got accepted.
I understand this is a stressful time and difficult decision on their part as well, but it is getting very close to the deadline and other programs don't seem to be this unorganized. To me, this all feels very unprofessional compared to the other programs I applied to. Is all of this "Red Flags" to the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are the third person in the past week or so that’s come on here asking questions about this program.

This is a bit concerning.

Reactions: 7 users
It’s interesting how so many New York based programs are requested for insight on this and other forums. They get so many applicants year after year despite a lack of funding and question marks in the program.

To the poster, idk your situation so excuse me if I am too blunt. The program has a lot of red flags. When your taking on 100k+ in debt and taking 5-6 years of your life. I don’t want to see these issues. I know it is New York but from my experience, I would be very hesitant about the program and move on

Reactions: 1 user
I have noticed that New York training sites in general, regardless of prestige, tend to fall short in the realm of professionalism. They've been enabled for too long because 1) those who are in NY want to stay in NY and 2) those out-of-staters applying to New York are desperate for the NY experience. Hence both groups are more likely to put up with unprofessionalism (and surprisingly low wages for the COL) to live there. These are sweeping generalizations but my point stands nonetheless.

And yes, those are red flags.

Reactions: 5 users