Help Finding Doctor to Shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paging_dr_maybe?

Reaction score
Hey!

Over the summer of my first year of school, I really wanted to shadow Dermatologists to make sure I really want to pursue dermatologists and see what places I may want to complete away or audition rotations at. I have created a list of all of the places that have Dermatology Residencies and I want to target doctors at those places first, but I do not know any of them and their emails are not provided on the website. Has anyone had experience "cold emailing or calling" doctors to see if they could shadow them? Could you share how you found the doctors and how you contacted them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You ought to be doing research over the summer instead of shadowing if you want to match Derm. KCU matched only 1 to Derm each year for the past 3 years. Each class size is around 429 students. That is 0.2% of your class match to derm on average each year. YOu will need to do lots of research and perhaps take a researh year if you want to be competitive for derm. Your school has limited research so you need to try and reach out to other institutions to find research. good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
one med student randomly emailed me to shadow me and i was impressed at the initiative so i said yes. The school had a database for doctors to put in their contact info if they were open to students contacting them

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Over the summer of my first year of school, I really wanted to shadow Dermatologists to make sure I really want to pursue dermatologists and see what places I may want to complete away or audition rotations at. I have created a list of all of the places that have Dermatology Residencies and I want to target doctors at those places first, but I do not know any of them and their emails are not provided on the website. Has anyone had experience "cold emailing or calling" doctors to see if they could shadow them? Could you share how you found the doctors and how you contacted them?

Thanks!
I found the DO psychiatrist I shadowed as a premed by searching Find a DO | Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine. As I recall this website had some emails listed but seems not to anymore. As with the above poster, the first doc I cold-called seemed pleasantly surprised and agreed.

EDIT: on further review it looks like the OP may be a current med student. I've locked the thread in pre-med instead.

OP, I agree that shadowing is going to be very low yield for this highly competitive specialty. You should focus on finding a research mentor.

Last edited: