Help for premed at UCSD (AP credits)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettoit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Does anyone know about petition to remove certain ap credits at ucsd?

I'll be freshman at ucsd this fall (anthropology major, but premed), but the school won't let me take bild 1,2,3 and math 10 a,b,c because I took aps during high school.

Is this petition possible or is it something that can never be done?

Also, how would I do it?

Please help!!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

I'll be freshman at ucsd this fall (anthropology major, but premed), but the school won't let me take bild 1,2,3 and math 10 a,b,c because I took aps during high school.

Also, how would I do it?

Please help!!

Thank you!

I also opted out of the BILD series because of APs. Although a non science major, you qualify for upper division bio classes which will satisfy the full year of bio for med school.

Last edited:
Are BICD 100, BIBC102, BIPN100, and BIBC103 seriously more difficult than BILD1,2,3?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken BICD 100, (Genetics) and it was pretty straight forward. Read the book, go to lectures, do the hw.
I too, took AP Bio in highschool and got a 5 on the AP exam. Hearing from my friend's who have taken Bild 1 and 2 so far, this is supposed to be a weeder course for bio/premed and the curve is very high (harder to get that A)
I would take the Bio credit and start w/ upper div. bio.

I've taken BICD 100, (Genetics) and it was pretty straight forward. Read the book, go to lectures, do the hw.
I too, took AP Bio in highschool and got a 5 on the AP exam. Hearing from my friend's who have taken Bild 1 and 2 so far, this is supposed to be a weeder course for bio/premed and the curve is very high (harder to get that A)
I would take the Bio credit and start w/ upper div. bio.

Last edited:
omg.. I heard chem 140 series kill people too.. and chem 6bl kills your hand. I guess I'll just have to stick to it.

@Tuan: yeah, I'll take upper division bio courses. Thanks for advice!!

What about math?? Anyone took Statistics?

I'll take MATH 10C,
MATH 11 (stat)
MATH 11L (stat)
PSYC 60 (stat & psychology)

Are stat classes easy?

And thanks for anyone replying. :)

Seems like a lot of UCSD students on this forum. I bet the weather is nice down there.

I am a entering freshmen at ucsd. I can't take math 10a, 10b, 20a, 20c for credit because i got a 4 on my ap bc calc exam. I know that medical schools require a full year of calc so how am i suppose to deal with this problem. I'll be taking math 10c during this fall. what other options do i have? are there other math courses that i can take in place to meet the one year requirement? Thanks

Hi.

Also, how would I do it?

Please help!!

Thank you!

You could take those sequences at the local junior college.

You must be so bored out of your mind in San Diego.. I almost went htere but everyone told me its supppppper boring!

You must be so bored out of your mind in San Diego.. I almost went htere but everyone told me its supppppper boring!

Are you kidding me? The beach is right there, you can drive to get some snow in reasonable time. Everybody there is probably dressing right this time of year. UCSD is the place to be right now.

Are you kidding me? The beach is right there, you can drive to get some snow in reasonable time. Everybody there is probably dressing right this time of year. UCSD is the place to be right now.
Apparently SDSU parties WAAAAY harder:thumbup:

Can't you just take the course regardless of whether you have the AP credit?
My friend took Chem 6A as a senior just or the prereqs to pharm school and it was fine I believe. It just doens't show up on your UCSD GPA, but I think iit will be accounted for in your AMCAS.

I actually didn't like the bild series that much. They were very broad, and some teachers like to test on off the wall kind of things. Granted it was easy peasy, but I liked the upper division since it was more focused. I feel that most courses at UCSD really just depend on your professor. But they're all doable. I'm sure it's much harder in med school.

For math, you should also take psyc 60... statistics. I had a 1 hr 20 min lecture on mean, mode, and median, so that can give you an idea on how easy it is. Also there's always the physics/engineering math... I took 20D, which I really regret, but it still got me my year of math.

What about MATH 11? did u take that? was it easy too?

And.. so you are saying BILD 1,2,3 are ALOT easier than genetics, physiology, or metabolic biochem..? Thanks for advice.

Stats is def. one of the easier math courses, content-wise (from what i learned in AP Stats).
You can still take the courses again, even if you have AP credit, it will just not count for UCSD GPA. For ex. I took AP Physics Mech and E&M and received lecture credit for Physics 1A and 1B. UCSD (and Med school pre-reqs) require a full year of Physics. That means i will have to re-take the entire Physics 1 series, and not get any credit for Physics 1A and 1B :eek:

so after 10c i should take math 11 then psyc 60 to meet the one year calc requirement??? wouldn't it be weird to take 10a and 10b after taking 10c?? I'm soooo confused TT; someone help me out plez..