HELP! How far down the rank list have ppl matched into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flintstone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to ask this....

Just wonder how often do ppl matched into a program that is ranked lower than #8 or #9 on their list?

And, if a person actually matches into, say, the 9th on his/her rank list, can it be implied that the program is likely to be mid to low-tiered?

Is there any published stat that lists the percentage of ppl match into their 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice, so on and so forth?

The reason I ask this is because I have interviewed 9 programs and have a pretty good idea of my rank choices. I still have some interviews scheduled but wonder if there is a point of diminishing return. I understand the more I rank, the lesser the chance of scramble, but statistically, are there a lot of ppl match into their 9th, 10th....choices?

Please advice. Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

The NRMP has a lot of data on this... specifically, data on each specialty, how many programs each applicant matched, and how many applicants did not match after ranking "x" number of specialties... looks like US seniors in internal medicine who ranked 8 or 9 programs did very well...

As for whether 9th choices are always mid-tier, it depends where you applied. If you interview at 10 of the top programs in the country, than your 9th choice would still be a top tier program -- just not your top program. But, for most people, their 9th choice is likely in a lower tier than their first choice.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

I don't think it says what percentage ranked places first, second, third, etc...

but the nrmp seems to have a bunch of data if you look on their site. basically, be careful -- it's all generalized and based on pooling of all the programs, which vary widely...

And, as has been said a million times on this forum, do not rank a program you do not wish to go to. You need to decide whether you would rather scramble or take that ninth choice.

There is another data set on NRMP that has quotas for each program and number filled. But I am not sure whether the programs that don't fill quota all enter the scramble or not...