Help! I don't know which diagnostic kit to buy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kandygurl2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a Diagnostic kit (transilluminator, retinoscope, and ophthalmoscope) - I have choice of Heine, Welch-Allyn, or Keeler.

Heine:
Pro: Available in a thinner handle for smaller hands (don't want)
Pro: Chargers look awesome
Con: Handle is heavier than the other brands
Con: Bulbs tend to burn out sooner
Welch-Allyn:
Pro: Handles are the lightest of the 3 options
Pro: Cheapest
Con: Because the handles are made of plastic, they get hot after a couple hours of use
Con: Working their way out of optometry and going towards medical field (will likely still be around for another 15 years)
Keeler:
Pro: Longest battery life (uses lithium ion)
Pro: Plastic grips in different colours (black, blue, green, pink)
Con: Docking station bulky
Con: Most expensive

Im leaning to the keeler, but don't want to spend the extra $150-$200. Is it worth getting a nicer one, or would the welch-allyn be fine? If there isn't much of a price difference between the welch-allyn and the heine; which one would you recommend?
Please help me out- I have to order these starting tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Im leaning to the keeler, but don't want to spend the extra $150-$200. Is it worth getting a nicer one, or would the welch-allyn be fine? If there isn't much of a price difference between the welch-allyn and the heine; which one would you recommend?

I just went on a VOSH trip and I was the only student with a Welch-Allyn. It worked just fine but the handles did get hot and the batteries ran out SO MUCH quicker than everyone with the Heine or Keeler.

Now, that being said - most of the time you use it for like a minute total in an exam and recharge it so that isn't a big issue. But I was annoyed that I could only use my handles for like half the day and I had to borrow other peoples to keep doing ret and O-scope.

Consensus I've gathered in terms of equipment:

Graduated/practicing doctors will say: buy the cheapest ones because once you master the skill, it doesn't matter which brand you use. They all work the same and really does make a difference on loans

Current students will say: buy equipment that feels the most comfortable for you.

I am regretting a little on my slightly more expensive equipment (Heine), but for 3.5 years now, have never had to bring anything of theirs to repair

Members don't see this ad :)
Consensus I've gathered in terms of equipment:

Graduated/practicing doctors will say: buy the cheapest ones because once you master the skill, it doesn't matter which brand you use. They all work the same and really does make a difference on loans

Current students will say: buy equipment that feels the most comfortable for you.

I am regretting a little on my slightly more expensive equipment (Heine), but for 3.5 years now, have never had to bring anything of theirs to repair

When we were buying our stuff, the reps told us that we have to use Welch Allyn for clinical boards, so that's also something to consider. I got a kit secondhand for $200 and it works wonderfully for me so far, although all we have gotten to is basic retinoscopy. Even if I was going to buy my own for full price, I couldn't see paying an extra $300-$400 for fancy handle grips and thinner batteries. All the doctors in out class say to get "whatever feels good" or "whatever is least expensive". The problem is it's like buying a helicopter when you have no idea how to operate it. You have to guess and go off what the salespeople tell you.

When we were buying our stuff, the reps told us that we have to use Welch Allyn for clinical boards,

Salespeople will tell you anything. And you can't sue them for lying. As this is advertisement.

I have a Welch-Allyn diagnostic kit and like it fine. I've never had any issues with it, and the handles have never felt "hot" to me, but they did get a little warm on mission trips when I used them non-stop all day (and yes, one charge didn't quite last all day).
Currently, NBEO Part III does provide W-A transilluminators and retinoscopes (http://www.optometry.org/pdf/NCCTO/Equipment_List_Room_Photos.pdf). However, they will allow you to bring and use your own retinoscope.
To me, the advantage of WA's is the panoptic. I highly recommend it. I loved it when examining undilated kids and challenging patients. You should definitely try one and compare it to a direct.

I need to buy a Diagnostic kit (transilluminator, retinoscope, and ophthalmoscope) - I have choice of Heine, Welch-Allyn, or Keeler.

Heine:
Pro: Available in a thinner handle for smaller hands (don't want)
Pro: Chargers look awesome
Con: Handle is heavier than the other brands
Con: Bulbs tend to burn out sooner
Welch-Allyn:
Pro: Handles are the lightest of the 3 options
Pro: Cheapest
Con: Because the handles are made of plastic, they get hot after a couple hours of use
Con: Working their way out of optometry and going towards medical field (will likely still be around for another 15 years)
Keeler:
Pro: Longest battery life (uses lithium ion)
Pro: Plastic grips in different colours (black, blue, green, pink)
Con: Docking station bulky
Con: Most expensive

Transilluminator: They're all the same.
Retinoscope: Brighter is better, but they all basically are the same.
Direct ophthalmoscope: Most of them use plastic lenses, and most use the same general design. (Keeler's option is built a bit differently from Welch Allyn's or Heine's; the practical distinction, however, might not be very great.)

Handles: "Heavy" vs. "light," objectively, is meaningless — see what fits and feels best in your own hand.

Battery-life: Of course, longer is better, but the value of this depends on how and where you practice. If you'll be glued to an office all day, with the handle returning to its charging well whenever not being used, it's somewhat irrelevant; if you'll do plenty of field-work, you likely will care how long your handles live, as well as, possibly, whether they'll take standard "AA" cells, and whether they can run directly off an A.C.-adapter current.

In my opinion, it is difficult to make a single recommendation without knowing what you're going to be using the device for.

1. If you are going full-time in an un-tethered environment, then the battery life makes sense
2. If you are going to be working in a primary medical or ophthalmology office, then the Welch Allyn will probably be the most commonly used device.
3. If you are filling in at a lot offices, I would not get wrapped up about buying hand held instruments that 'last forever'. Personally, I would not. I would get flexible and be adept at all brands because it is a chore to cary around your hand equipment if you fill in. It's just not convenient.
4. For my 12- hour untethered work, I use 3 Welch Allyn handles with 3 heads (transilluminator, retinoscope and ophthalmoscope.
5. For an tethered environment, the Heine works well.

I definitely agree that you will just get used to the one you have. I think in the end they're pretty much all good. I haven't heard too many complaints from people. Everyone just got used to the one they had. The biggest exception is if you decide to buy a Panoptic. I'm not sure how the Keeler works with them but the Panoptic is made by WA so obviously it's better with WA (it especially has issues if you do get small handles -Heine). Heine does offer an adapter but does not offer a carrying case that will hold all the parts together. I think the way the WA handles are made are a little easier to use (positioning of the buttons and knobs) but again I have the Heine and have learned to work with them perfectly fine too. I prefered the Heine's handle grip better (I get the nervous slippery hands so I thought it would be better for me and they reminded my of army equipment grip handles which I love). I think the harder choice will be later on with the BIO and fundus slit lamp equipment. Don't worry about the diagnostic kit... if you would prefer to save money (since school is expensive!)- get the WA!

I got myself the Heine set. I am very happy with it, but some people prefer the others. Here's what I would recommend based on my preferences:

The Heine has the best D.O. The optics are great, I find it easier to view the retina than the Welch, and it has a separate lens for each lens change, making it easier to adjust as you head into the eye. The Keller has the worst D.O. in my opinion.

They all have fine retinoscopes; I prefer the Heine because of the feel in my hand. However, very importantly, if you adjust the sleeve with your index finger, don't get the Heine. It is designed to be adjusted with the thumb, with the index finger heading vertically along the scope head. The Keller has a great ret too. I noticed Welch's ret seemed brighter the few times I borrowed from classmates to try it, so I hated being the patient with a Welch, but this might not be true.