HELP, i need advice for classes next semester.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAKE SWIMMING (7-9AM) on top of 18 UNITS OR NO? PLS READ EVERYTHING 1st before VOTING

• Total voters

TONItheSURFER

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
some of you probably have seen my name floating around here on SDN. anyway, im a freshman at a community college, transferin to Ucla or Ucsb in three years.

so here's my problem..

registration has started for classes for next semester. The classes i need to do are..

English 848 (lower than 101, bleh),
Math 120
Chemistry 210 (gen. chem)
Bio 110 (gen. bio).

BUT i want to do swimming team next semester. i've been swimming all my life. i'm a pretty good breast stroker and i may have potential university level speed..(if i continue to swim a lot). SWIMMING is 7 - 9 AM!!!!!!!!

so my classes for next sem with swimming are gonna be
Monday- 7-9 Swimming, 910 - 10 English, 1010-11 Math, 1110-12 Chem, 12-3 LAB
Tuesday- SAME AS ABOVE with BIO at 6PM-9PM
Wednesday- SAME AS MONDAY
Thursday- SAME AS MONDAY with BIO 6PM-9PM
Friday- SAME AS MONDAY without English

= 20 units!!!!!! :scared:

but if i don't do swimming my classes are going to be
Monday - 8-9 English, 910-10 Math, 1010-11 Bio, 1110-12 Chem, 1-3 Chem
with LAB
Tuesday- SAME as Monday except no BIO
Wednesday- SAME as Monday except no BIO Lab
Thursday- Same as Monday except with Chem lab from 12-2 and No Bio lab.
Fri- Same as Monday without English and any Labs.

= 18 units!!!!!!!!!:oops:

PLEASE HELP. tell me which is BETTER. do you think ill be able to handle the work load? or is that just insane. (this took a long time to write out. haha)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, here's more info..
Gen. Chem - 5 units
Gen. Bio - 4 units
English 848 - 4 units
Math 120 - 5 units
Swimming - 2 units

I don't know any details, but there have been threads floating around about certain schools that do not accept community college credits. Before investing a lot of time into Chemistry and Biology classes, make sure the schools you plan on applying to are OK with CC credits.

If this is your first or second semester of sciences, my personal opinion is to go the safe route and see how you take to them. Some people pick it up pretty fast, but the majority of us have to put a lot of hours in to get a good grade. Until you know what you can handle, play it safe.

Just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, this is totally unrelated to your initial question, but I noticed that you were looking to transfer into the uc system, have you also considered ucsd? They have an awesome predental society that runs several clinics in the sd area and not only do you get a ton of hands on experience, but you also get access to many deans and admissions people and all the pds members are really dedicated and supportive of each other. Not to sway you from either ucla or ucsb, but just thought I'd throw that out there...

I swam in college - loved it, increased my energy and gave me a great way to blow off frustration...

I definitely recommend it - especially if you want to join the swim team next year. I swam DIII and swam an hour every morning and 3 hours every afternoon (M-F) and four hours on Saturdays with Sundays off. This didn't include the mandatory weight training to do in your free time and weekends away spent at swim meets (All day Friday and Saturday).

This is no small committment, so if you are at all serious about swimming - the two hours every morning is nothing, especially since you get credit for it. My school made me take a Physical Education credit on top of the swimming and we didn't get any credit for swimming. :(

Intrestingly enough, two of the guys I swam with transferred from UCSB. They graduated in 2003 with me, though...

I swam in college - loved it, increased my energy and gave me a great way to blow off frustration...

I definitely recommend it - especially if you want to join the swim team next year. I swam DIII and swam an hour every morning and 3 hours every afternoon (M-F) and four hours on Saturdays with Sundays off. This didn't include the mandatory weight training to do in your free time and weekends away spent at swim meets (All day Friday and Saturday).

This is no small committment, so if you are at all serious about swimming - the two hours every morning is nothing, especially since you get credit for it. My school made me take a Physical Education credit on top of the swimming and we didn't get any credit for swimming. :(

Intrestingly enough, two of the guys I swam with transferred from UCSB. They graduated in 2003 with me, though...

ahhh. goood stuff man! haha, i actually want to transfer to UCSB. hopefully i can swim for them. btw, i read your predents.com info and it says you're nationally ranked (7th), cooool. anyway, im most likely going to take swimming next semester. haha. :laugh:

Hello, this is totally unrelated to your initial question, but I noticed that you were looking to transfer into the uc system, have you also considered ucsd? They have an awesome predental society that runs several clinics in the sd area and not only do you get a ton of hands on experience, but you also get access to many deans and admissions people and all the pds members are really dedicated and supportive of each other. Not to sway you from either ucla or ucsb, but just thought I'd throw that out there...

ah, are they significantly more known for a pre-dent school than ucsb or ucla? cuz i really dont know. my mom's also a dentist so, i've been getting my EC from her as a dental assistant. im also planning to shadow another dentist soon and an ortho soon. before i even transfer, i'll be loaded with EC.

I don't know any details, but there have been threads floating around about certain schools that do not accept community college credits. Before investing a lot of time into Chemistry and Biology classes, make sure the schools you plan on applying to are OK with CC credits.

If this is your first or second semester of sciences, my personal opinion is to go the safe route and see how you take to them. Some people pick it up pretty fast, but the majority of us have to put a lot of hours in to get a good grade. Until you know what you can handle, play it safe.

Just my 2 cents

you're right. but it's only a couple of schools that don't accept cc classes. i know a lot of people who transfered from JC and made it into dental school. im a BIO major so when i transfer, i'll be taking a lot more science classes at the UC, this would show that i am proficient in my science classes at University level classes. ;)