Help I think I messed even getting into college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caduceusdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a freshman at a state college next year and I'm taking genetics and organic chemistry during summer. As things stand, I might be getting a B/C in genetics but I seem to be doing fine with organic chemistry. Should I withdraw from my genetics course to avoid the B/C? I am a bioengineering major.

Do medical schools frown upon a W during this summer session more than a B/C in Genetics (an advanced level bio course)?

Members don't see this ad.

deep breath. if you haven't even started college yet and you are like this i can't imagine how you'll be in college- really calm down. an occasional B isn't going to kill you.

I'm going to be a freshman at a state college next year and I'm taking genetics and organic chemistry during summer. As things stand, I might be getting a B/C in genetics but I seem to be doing fine with organic chemistry. Should I withdraw from my genetics course to avoid the B/C? I am a bioengineering major.

Do medical schools frown upon a W during this summer session more than a B/C in Genetics (an advanced level bio course)?

What are you doing taking such advanced courses before your freshman year in college?
I don't think it will prevent you from getting into your college.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is insane taking those 2 classes, together, during the summer before your freshman year. Really nuts...

I got 16 B+s, 6 Bs, and 3 B-s in undergrad.

I got into medical school right out of undergrad.

Take a deep breath. And yes, what are you doing taking those classes BEFORE freshman year? I took o chem spring of frosh year and fall of soph year and genetics spring of soph year!

Why would you take those before college? Your high school teachers must give horrible advice or you simply were way too confident.

Finish genetics. Don't worry about your high school grades...they really don't matter except for getting into the college you want to go to. med school looks only at college grades and MCAT.

This is why those classes have pre-reqs; you need a good base of knowledge before enrolling. At my school, at least, Genetics requires Organic Chemistry, Cell Bio, and Cell Physiology as pre-reqs; Organic Chemistry, obivously, needs General Chemistry. Take the grade.

Get the grade... then relax... are you trying to graduate in like 2-3 years? Is that why your taking those hard classes now? You don't want to rush college, it will be the best years of your life.

I agree with what the others said as far as why are you taking genetics before you even start freshmen year?

I was overly ambitious before i officially started my freshmen year also (although i'm somewhat of a nontrad) and tried taking all of my bio prereqs over the summer not knowing what i was getting myself into. I got a C+ in one bio course (the easier bio!)

while I wish i would have gone into the summer with a more serious mindset that one C+ has started to blend in with my As that I've earned since then.

if I were in your position though I would drop the genetics if I thought I'd learn anything less than a B-. one W isn't going to hurt you.

You deserve those if you are taking it before even freshman chemistry and biology. Unless you have AP or something.

W>>>>>>>C. Just don't make a habit of it.

^^agreed...cut your losses and enjoy the last free summer of your life

If you're counting on AP scores for prereq credit, know that many (most?) medical schools won't accept AP credit for the science prereqs (math is usually ok). Meaning that you'll have to take those intro courses anyway and it would make much more sense to take advanced courses (like the ones you're in) later on.

Aaagggh I aided and abetted an 8-year necrobump

Reactions: 3 users
Holy necrobump, Batman!

The funniest thing about this is that if all went according to OP's plan he would be done with medschool by now and people gave him advice on pre-freshman undergrad courses less than an hour ago.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
One B or C is not going to destroy your chances. Don't cheat or commit any crimes and you'll be fine.

Edit: Holy crap I just realized how old this is. This guy is probably doing something else now..

June 2007

July 2007
How long do u guys think schools usually take to process the secondary application? I will be taking my MCAT sept 7th (The scores will be realeased 7th of October) , but since I finished my AMCAS application I already got a lot of secondaries from schools that don't screen. So would I be okay filling out my secondaries the week after I take my MCAT (sometime around septermber 8th to 12th) or should I work on sending the asap? Please feel free to alert me of specific schools that take a long time to process their secondaries.

Thanks in advance for your time.

July 2007
I will have finished two degrees in neuroscience and anthropology by May 2008. But just in case I don't get into medical school what r some good post bacc programs out there for ppl who got their degree and already finished taking the requirements?

Again, thanks in advance for ur time.

PS: I am not a minority student or interested in MD/PhD.

:eek:

Either a troll, multiple people using the same account, or a gunner...

Reactions: 1 users
June 2007

July 2007

July 2007

:eek:

Either a troll, multiple people using the same account, or a gunner...

What the hell? Troll for sure. That kid went from entering state college as a freshman to taking the MCAT and earning two Bachelor's degrees in less than a year.

I've been doing my whole life wrong! You failed me, SDN!

Reactions: 2 users