Help! I'm kicked out of med school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IneedHelp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm repeating my first year of medical school in the US. Last year I had numerous personal difficulties so they let me repeat it. However I got a couple Ds on my midterms this year so they kicked me out but I appealed and took my next set of midterms, which I aced. The decision from the SEPAC committee came back and they still expelled me out despite my good grades. I got dismissed the day before my final exams so I went to the dean and begged him to let me take my finals. He said he would give me another chance and delay the expulsion until he saw my grades. I have taken all my finals, some have gone well and others aren't. I have to meet with the dean after spring break next week to see if I passed or am kicked out or not. I really want to be a doctor, I just have had difficulties. What do you guys think I should do? See a psychiatrist? Get a lawyer? I'll go to the Caribbean if I have to, nothing's going to stop me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

IneedHelp said:
What do you guys think I should do? See a psychiatrist? Get a lawyer? I'll go to the Caribbean if I have to, nothing's going to stop me. Thanks.

If they do officially expel you, you should try the Carribean. You are not the only student to ever get dismissed from med school. I go to a Carribean med school and a student here was dismissed even after his second year at a US med school. He started over here and will be taking his USMLE in a few moths. He did really well at here. Good luck with your situation.

IneedHelp said:
Hey all,
I have to meet with the dean after spring break next week to see if I passed or am kicked out or not.
Who has spring break in February?? Is this a troll?

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:

I am actually the aforementioned dean that this student was referring to. I assure you that this was a serious post, and that I will be expelling this student.

MEG@COOL said:
I am actually the aforementioned dean that this student was referring to. I assure you that this was a serious post, and that I will be expelling this student.

All right, this post HAS to be a troll. What is this, troll city thread?

Flopotomist said:

No, google is your friend... this individual isn't lying, and yes, they do have break next week. (I leave this as an exercise for you! :p)

To the original poster, I think the best thing for you to do is to draw out a concrete plan of how you're going to pick up the pieces and do well again... your 'plan of recovery' if you will... and present this to the appropriate committee / dean. Schools don't like to see whining, but do love to see a solid plan of how you'll make up your performance... include something concrete perhaps. I mean, it seems you have the desire - you just need a way to express that, with conviction, to whoever's making the decisions.

To the OP: maybe you can sit down with Committee/Dean who will decide to expel you or not and explain all of your difficulties and how you are trying to overcome them. Good luck!

IneedHelp said:
Hey all,
I'm repeating my first year of medical school in the US. Last year I had numerous personal difficulties so they let me repeat it. However I got a couple Ds on my midterms this year so they kicked me out but I appealed and took my next set of midterms, which I aced. The decision from the SEPAC committee came back and they still expelled me out despite my good grades. I got dismissed the day before my final exams so I went to the dean and begged him to let me take my finals. He said he would give me another chance and delay the expulsion until he saw my grades. I have taken all my finals, some have gone well and others aren't. I have to meet with the dean after spring break next week to see if I passed or am kicked out or not. I really want to be a doctor, I just have had difficulties. What do you guys think I should do? See a psychiatrist? Get a lawyer? I'll go to the Caribbean if I have to, nothing's going to stop me. Thanks.

I think that your best bet is to work it out with the dean-do whatever it takes to convince them you are up to the challenge. You won't have much recourse after you get kicked out-so try to make it hard for the dean to turn his back on you now...

Flopotomist said:
yea i thought that was strange also; and who just finished finals in February (which implies the end of a semester)???

Thanks for the help you guys (I'm a girl, by the way, not a dude LOL). No we have our spring break next week becuase we are on a trimester. The courses I passed, I passed with a high score. The ones I didn't, I just barely missed the cut-off. If I go on to the last semester, I only have 1 course in the spring because I passed everything else last year so obviously I'm capable of med school, I just had some serious issues. Plus, there was a guy at our school who failed a class 4 times a couple years ago and was finally allowed back in, so if he can do it, I can too. Do you guys think I should get the psych consult? The day before I started my finals, I get this letter saying I'm expelled so obviously I wasn't in my right frame of mind when I took my exams.

snobored18 said:
Iowa's break started friday feb. 3rd...classes resume the 13th...

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/osac/curriculum/PDF/M1 Spring 2006 Exam Calendar.pdf

I know its weird but at least a school is on break right now...this however is not their spring break...the M1's have a whacked calendar going...
Hmm.. you guys are smart - they shouldn't call it Spring Break if it is in the middle of winter. They should rename it uhm... Black Heritage Month Break or something (what else is in the February?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
Hmm.. you guys are smart - they shouldn't call it Spring Break if it is in the middle of winter. They should rename it uhm... Black Heritage Month Break or something (what else is in the February?)
winter break :D

how about February break?

Flopotomist said:
How about "Groundhog's Day to Valentine's day (with Lincoln's B-day in the middle) Break"? Or is that too long?

Flopotomist said:
We actually do, so does Vanderbilt.

Flopotomist said:

The calendar says vaguely "vacation" hey a week off in the middle of february...sounds like a suicide break to me...you think they'd give it a funny name like "reading period" at leasts thats what went down in undergrad...

leviathan said:
We call it Reading Week in Canada. My 5 days of freedom are Mon. Feb 13 - Fri Feb. 17.

Yeah I remember that 'reading week' in undergrad.... like anyone actually 'reads' or does anything academic......

In response to the OP, believe in yourself and in the power of GOD and you will be alright.

Keeping the Iowa part alive despite that it has nothing to do with the OP...

We get 2 one-week breaks during the Spring semester, because the 2nd year currently runs Aug - Feb (with Path, Pharm, and Micro). The m2 semester break occurs early after their finals and both m1 and m2 get that week off. In March, both classes also get the university spring break week off. This may change soon, as the M2 year is getting reshuffled a bit (will become 2 regular length semesters, with path and pathophys getting separated into 2 classes).

God I miss Spring break. :(

Well the thing is, I've been kicked out already. I was kicked out earlier in the year because I was getting Cs and Ds although I hadn't failed anything yet, so I appealed and aced my exams. The appeal came back and they still kicked me out of school despite my improvement, so I begged the dean to postpone the decision until after final exams week. Do you see what I'm saying...I'm already kicked out. My parents don't know about all this yet. I haven't told them that I was already kicked out, but I did tell them that if I failed any of my finals, I would be dismissed. We're gonna have spring break next week. All I have is neuroscience in the spring and nothing else. That was why I was asking what should I do next?

IneedHelp said:
He said he would give me another chance and delay the expulsion until he saw my grades. I have taken all my finals, some have gone well and others aren't. I have to meet with the dean after spring break next week to see if I passed or am kicked out or not.

Did I miss something from your original post? I thought your Dean was going to see your grades after spring break and then decide if you're out or not despite what the committee ruled on. If you're kicked out already you can try to appeal again to the committee, but from what I've seen happen to other people at my school, once they kick you out it's pretty much over. I don't think a lwayer will help you much. Sorry. :(

happydays said:
How about "Groundhog's Day to Valentine's day (with Lincoln's B-day in the middle) Break"? Or is that too long?
hehe my high school had that, they called it "ski week" cos they knew everyone would be ditching class anyways.. ;)

Yeah, sorry I'm making things confusing. The dean is gonna see my scores from finals these last few weeks over the next week which is spring break. After spring break he will make a decision on my status. I don't know what I got in my classes yet and neither does he until my teachers grade all of my tests, which may take a while. Maybe I'll bring my parents in, I don't know. Either way, I'll beg for another chance since I only have like 1 course in the spring and it will be impossible for me not to do well then.

Sorry to hear you are faced with this worry. While I haven't been faced with this situation, I personally don't think that getting your parents involved is a good idea. That might give the wrong impression to the dean. If I were you, I'd go there on my own to explain what steps I had taken to deal with the issues that had come up to cause the trouble. Best of luck. :)

peppy said:
Sorry to hear you are faced with this worry. While I haven't been faced with this situation, I personally don't think that getting your parents involved is a good idea. That might give the wrong impression to the dean. If I were you, I'd go there on my own to explain what steps I had taken to deal with the issues that had come up to cause the trouble. Best of luck. :)

I agree with this. :thumbup:

On the bright side, I've passed all my lecture exams :) The only ones I did bad were on the lab ones, although I don't know what I got yet :( and everyone I've talked to said they failed it too, so I'm hoping there's some kind of huge curve. The professors are really crabby at our school and don't want to give us extra points. Grr. Either way I'll be meeting with a psychiatrist on Friday that's friends with the admin at my school and tell him all the crazy stuff I've been going through this year.

Thanks for all the private messages, everyone. I'll meet with the dean and beg him for one more chance after I see the shrink. The dean (luckily) is on my side and the only nice guy - all the faculty and admin are d*cks! We'll see what happens.

There was a guy here who failed pathology 4 - yes FOUR - times and then took the USMLE step 1 (like a *****) without passing path in the first place, failed his boards, then failed pathology again :laugh: and he was STILL let back in by the appeals comittee all because he saw a shrink! He is taking pathology as an M2 now even though he was supposed to get his M.D. four years ago. That's why I was so surprised that they kicked me out before the semester even ended. That's also why I'm not quitting. Anyway, I'll let you guys know what happens.

silas2642 said:
All right, this post HAS to be a troll. What is this, troll city thread?
What's a troll?

In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts rude or offensive messages on the Internet, such as on online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants. "Troll" can also mean the message itself or be a verb meaning to post such messages. "Trolling" is also commonly used to describe the activity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Kinda like someone who posts in the MCAT forums and runs around saying they got a 44 with no studying or someone who flames the DO forums as reject doctors. etc etc.

So did you get kicked out or what? If you did, you can reapply to med schools in the US as long as you have a good explanation for what went wrong the first time and you'd probably have to take your mcat again, although after your hard core classes the mcat will be a peice of cake other than the orgo/physics. I got kicked out myself so I totally understand your situation :( but hey, you can apply to caribbean schools, they generally don't care as much if you've been dismissed as long as you can prove it won't happen again. Or you could do a post-bac premed program in the US to show that you're serious to get into an american med school. If you're canadian you can kiss canada goodye :( sorry but honestly, it doesn't matter as long as you get in somewhere.

OK, i know some people have to be thinking this. I think there comes a point where you let go. I mean, hearing someone say, I did good on a few and bad on some others sounds like a pathologic habit of test taking through medical school. It doesn't sound good! :rolleyes: I don't think medicine is worth this heartache (I know, I am an intern now!). If you do, you have watched too many medical dramas on TV. In the end, even if you are successful at getting in, you still have plenty of tests waiting for you and you will be riding that razor's edge of failing again. Do you think taking tests and the threat of getting kicked out will be behind you after your 2nd year of medical school? I will refrain from the classic "patients are not 'tests'" approach. During the interview season, who do you really think will interview you. Your best hope at that point is family medicine somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I know, some shmo will post how their 'friend' failied and matched at Mass general but let's keep this in reality. No lawyers, no appeals, let go and find another profession. This certainly is not the only one nor is it even close to being a good one. Please understand I am not saying this to be harsh or to be mean, it's just that I see you and the dancing cucumber holding on with your claws dug into the Dean's flesh not realizing in the end this is really not worth it.

Why am I seeing so many threads of different people saying they are kicked out of med school???? This has sent me into a total panic. I didn't think many people were kicked out of med school, yet so many people who post on sdn were??? :confused: :scared: Although so far i have done surprisingly well i am no so anxious. it doesn't help that right now I am severely depressed and have exams next week. Help!!

Definitely see the school psyciatrist and claim you have depression, learning disabilities and anxiety disorders. If you really have these, it will explain your behavior and the school would be scared to expel you. But it may be too late. Wow, these MD schools seem so tough. My DO school is P/F. As long as you pass, you are fine. YOU GOT EXPELLED FOR D's!!! Damn. I'm glad I didn't go to an MD school. In NYCOM, no one says anything to you if you barely pass.

Psycho Doctor said:
Why am I seeing so many threads of different people saying they are kicked out of med school???? This has sent me into a total panic. I didn't think many people were kicked out of med school, yet so many people who post on sdn were??? :confused: :scared: Although so far i have done surprisingly well i am no so anxious. it doesn't help that right now I am severely depressed and have exams next week. Help!!

Don't worry. A small number of people are kicked out of med school, but I think we see so many of these posts because nobody is going to post an "I am doing fine in med school" thread. If you are doing well so far, don't worry about it.

Yeah, I think the problem is that nowadays, the 'low tier' M.D. schools are getting a lot tougher with their grading policy because they have a lot more to prove. I don't know what school the rest of these posters attended, but I attended a low to mid tier med school who had a complete change of administration and got really tough with their rules and regulations. I mean, my school used to give chance...after chance...after chance...but after the new admin came in after all the old was fired, things got really anal at our school, and then I failed one class twice and they booted me out. :(

Obedeli said:
I think there comes a point where you let go. I don't think medicine is worth this heartache No lawyers, no appeals, let go and find another profession. I see you and the dancing cucumber holding on with your claws dug into the Dean's flesh not realizing in the end this is really not worth it.

Yeah, but if YOU were kicked out of med school you'd be thinking otherwise. In high school and college, I had many, many people tell me I would never get accepted to med school. And I did. I don't know about the rest of you guys who got kicked out, but right now, I have to go with my heart and my gut that's telling me to go back to school after I improve my resume and know I can handle it again, fresh, recharged, and energized to prove everyone who doubted me wrong.

As for another profession...yeah, there's always law school :laugh:

CoolCucumber said:
Yeah, but if YOU were kicked out of med school you'd be thinking otherwise. In high school and college, I had many, many people tell me I would never get accepted to med school. And I did. I don't know about the rest of you guys who got kicked out, but right now, I have to go with my heart and my gut that's telling me to go back to school after I improve my resume and know I can handle it again, fresh, recharged, and energized to prove everyone who doubted me wrong.

As for another profession...yeah, there's always law school :laugh:

Best wishes to you reapplicants! :thumbup:

Thanks so much! I know in my heart that this is the right profession for me even though everyone is telling me I am a failure and to leave it alone already, forget it and find something else. If it doesn't work out then I'll try for law school because I :love: law but medicine is a calling not a profession for me and I need to be back in med school regardless of what others say. But yeah, i'm going to be honest about getting kicked out for multiple failures, it's not something I'm going to hide, and if that's what keeps me from getting in, then so be it.

:idea: Um...I just figured out why there are continual crisis threads here and we never get to find out the outcome - it's because the original posters are banned!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CoolCucumber said:
:idea: Um...I just figured out why there are continual crisis threads here and we never get to find out the outcome - it's because the original posters are banned!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Why do they get banned?

CoolCucumber said:
:D who knows? :D
don't tell me no one has gotten this...because they're ALL THE SAME PERSON! :eek: surprise, surprise, I know. So there's no reason to freak out, Psychodoc...there are not many people getting kicked out of school...just one, who keeps posting about it, getting banned, and then re-posting under another alias. Does that clear things up a little? :p

disclaimer of my own since it's late and my brain is infectious-disease-pudding at this point...I may be missing something here...but it does seem quite obvious!

Why do you think they're all the same person? I got kicked out last October for failing to pass classes. That was a YEAR ago before I knew this site existed. I've searched the forums to see if anyone else has been in my situation and apparently there are quite a few people that attended med school before but not all of them were dismissed like I was. Also, I'm not "InAbind" nor am I "IneedHelp" my situation is totally different from theirs...also I am a woman, NOT a man!

CoolCucumber said:
Why do you think they're all the same person? I got kicked out last October for failing to pass classes. That was a YEAR ago before I knew this site existed. I've searched the forums to see if anyone else has been in my situation and apparently there are quite a few people that attended med school before but not all of them were dismissed like I was. Also, I'm not "InAbind" nor am I "IneedHelp" my situation is totally different from theirs...also I am a woman, NOT a man!

I have to agree......... I know MORE than just one person who got kicked out of med school over the last 2 years.... for completely different reasons.... as I mentioned earlier at least 4-5 students (NOT from the same med school, but all in the US), and others that withdrew semi-voluntarily/voluntarily.

CoolCucumber, best of luck to you, I know its hard but no matter what if you want it badly enough NO one can keep it from you...... GOOD LUCK :)

CoolCucumber said:
but medicine is a calling not a profession for me

:barf:

The holy priesthood of medicine :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.